Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Irish announce Naholo  (Read 5635 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Irish announce Naholo
« on: May 08, 2019, 10:30:41 AM »
There's that put to bed then.
Let me tell you something cucumber

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Re: Irish announce Naholo
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 11:10:48 AM »
It was a done deal months ago I think, we need to move on Leyds quickly, which I hope to see now the Naholo saga has gone away.
It was fine when I left it.....

WallyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 11:23:20 AM »
If we are definitely after Leyds then I wonder if Nemo will be of use in securing that given the Stormers connection... Would be a great signing if we are a) in the running b) can manage it!

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 11:25:56 AM »
JdJ is also ex Stormers, he appears to love life in Leamington and playing for Wasps. Here’s hoping they both work on him.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 11:27:02 AM »
When the rumour first leaked about us being linked I was excited. However, showing a closer interest in him he really is struggling for form and perhaps his physical game would be nulified in a physical league (as sopaga has identified it as a big difference).

With the money Irish have no doubt spent to secure him (bit of an assumption on my part), I'm happy to spend the money more wisely and Leyds would be value for money in my eyes as well as offering versatility in the back 3.

Irish are certainly throwing the cash around to secure survival next season (as Bristol did when they came up). The reprocussions in 3-4 seasons time as they balance the wage bill will certainly be a challnege.

Good luck to him. Hopefully the change in environment helps him rediscover his form and we see another world class player performing in the premiership (just not int he games against us!)

WallyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 11:50:03 AM »
JdJ is also ex Stormers, he appears to love life in Leamington and playing for Wasps. Here’s hoping they both work on him.

Ah yes of course! Tag team on twisting arms if we are going for him!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 12:05:28 PM »
Agree he was gone months ago. I think when he showed interest in moving with us Irish moved in with big bucks. Likewise been watching him and for a while has looked a spent force but will undoubtedly set fore to us next season. Leyds I have also been watching and he is currently a totally different class and someone we should be glad to have.
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 04:02:52 PM »
Have to say I think Naholo would not necessarily be what we want given his likely price tag.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 04:15:07 PM »
Have to say I think Naholo would not necessarily be what we want given his likely price tag.

I quite agree. I've never been that keen.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 05:24:51 PM »
Taking a look at Leyds in more detail, he looks like he offers far more than Naholo in terms of versatility. Good defence, incisive running and can cover multiple roles across the backline, looks good under the high ball and is a team player, from what I can see he isn't all about tries but his vision and distribution looks sound. We have had recent success with South African heritage players, he looks like he would be a more than a reasonable acquisition and has mates in the team, and from what I can tell isn't nailed on to be RWC bound, in fact he looks to be outside the circle.

Naholo has been pilloried in the Kiwi press and his star appears to have faded, add to that his lack of versatility, he's a wing, then Leyds does look to be the better option, if we can secure his services. I hasten to add, that I am not disputing Naholo's clear talent and presence, at the moment I feel Leyds could give us far more. Watson has settled at 14 and looks bulkier and more aggressive than he was when he first arrived, Leyds can offer cover at 11, 14 and 15. Josh does need a break every now and then at 11, this season has been poor by his standards, partly to the amount of games he has to play perhaps and he has forgotten how to step.

It was reported in SA back in March that he was leaving and Wasps was his destination, I am guessing the timing will be around the RWC squad and if he does make the cut?

Things are not good in South African rugby https://www.iol.co.za/sport/opinion/sa-rugby-franchises-rotting-from-the-head-down-as-countdown-to-rugby-world-cup-continues-21778639, now may the right time to nip in and secure his signature.

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 05:29:09 PM »
Josh can step!?

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 05:30:42 PM »
Josh can step!?
I didn't say he can't, just that he has forgotten. More often than not he tries to run over defending players, it has been wholly ineffective IMHO.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 06:23:57 PM »
He was being sarcastic.. ;D

I've never seen Josh step, other than onto the pitch

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 06:43:52 PM »
My bad, I should have noticed the exclamation/question mark combo...doh! My reply was polite, I have never seen him step either, apart from off the bus  ???

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 09:06:55 AM »
I've heard we may be announcing a winger this week, not previously linked. Told that they aren't eqp, may divide opinion but are a quality player.

Equally as it's a rumour of a not done and dusted signing it may of course not happen.

My guesses were the falcons pi pair but i wasn't getting more info and am only sharing now as we're closeto the end of the week.