Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Eng v Ire  (Read 6926 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Eng v Ire
« on: August 22, 2019, 01:56:33 PM »
Team :

15 Elliot Daly (Saracens, 32 caps)
14 Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby, 6 caps)
13 Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers, 34 caps)
12 Owen Farrell (Saracens, 71 caps) C
11 Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 45 caps)
10 George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 57 caps)
9 Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 87 caps)
1 Joe Marler (Harlequins, 60 caps)
2 Jamie George (Saracens, 38 caps)
3 Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 23 caps)
4 Maro Itoje (Saracens, 28 caps)
5 George Kruis (Saracens, 34 caps)
6 Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 11 caps)
7 Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 9 caps)
8 Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 43 caps)

Finishers
16 Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 13 caps)
17 Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 53 caps)
18 Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 87 caps)
19 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 73 caps)
20 Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons/Sale Sharks, 13 caps)
21 Willi Heinz (Gloucester Rugby, 2 caps)
22 Piers Francis (Northampton Saints, 6 caps)
23 Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 42 caps)

Launch gets a welcome rest.

Why is Watson not playing at FB?

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Eng v Ire
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 04:27:51 PM »
Why is Watson not playing at FB?

EJ seems to be giving everyone (who's fit) a run out.. even out of position if necessary so its somewhat curious as to why he's not tried someone else at 15.. Watson being the obvious choice.

He could have started Watson at 15 and put Daly on the bench who can cover 3 positions in the backs.. or does he think that Daly needs as much time as possible at 15 to learn the ropes.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 05:06:41 PM »
I'd guess Ireland will be looking to attack down Joe C's side as I wouldn't be 100% confident in a defence reliant upon Joe and Manu who have often had positioning "issues" and Daly would seems to find tackling optional too often.

Its a bit like a Tigers backline though, but without the excellent 12's they have had over the years Like Matt T amongst others who used their second 5/8th skills to put Manu into gaps. Tigers generally had decent 15's too

I'd expect some chips over the top - given the turning circle of one of two players and to provoke some indecision at FB

Bonus for England is a real backrow - but wtf is Billy playing in so many warm ups?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 05:22:15 PM »
I prefer 10/12 as two fly halves, just such a shame that Ford is the preferred ten over you know who. I do like the principle, but suspect Eddie will go into the crunch matches with Farrell at ten.

There are times I think that a Welsh, Irish or English win at the WC would actually set rugby back. Having watched last week's game that feeling nags away stronger than ever. One try between them, and that should have been bought back and was scored against 13! When you have guys on the outside of the squad who offer more, but the one dimensional backs still get picked over them, you know it is because England want to exploit that one dimension. Youngs' selection is a case in point. At least Watson, Daly and May offer a real something from nothing threat, but I fear Eddie has invested much in the idea of structured vs unstructured rugby, and has given up trying to score off first phase as we used to at Wasps and is hoping that we can either secure phase after phase of go forward via the forwards, or that we can win by not having the ball and preying off opponent's mistakes  under the high ball.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 05:46:19 PM »
Totally bemused why we keep risking BV and I hope playing Curry at 6 is just a one off. It's apparent Jones wants to give ED as much time at FB as possible in order to let him learn the role - to be honest I'd rather be going into the competition with someone who already knows it.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 06:04:25 PM »
Totally bemused why we keep risking BV and I hope playing Curry at 6 is just a one off. It's apparent Jones wants to give ED as much time at FB as possible in order to let him learn the role - to be honest I'd rather be going into the competition with someone who already knows it.

Curry's role in open play will likely be the same as ever. I'd imagine the numbers are more about who can break off the scrum better/faster. Maybe who's got a stronger left/right tackle if playing sides.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 06:09:58 PM »
I don't know if this has been mentioned. George North try for Wales against England prompts World Rugby law amendment. I think this is effective immediately. Details on the Beeb:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49434027
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 06:18:41 PM »

Curry's role in open play will likely be the same as ever. I'd imagine the numbers are more about who can break off the scrum better/faster. Maybe who's got a stronger left/right tackle if playing sides.
Yes, completely take that point. Personally I'd swap Underhill and Curry but accept they're interchangeable in open play. Just glad we don't have any second row in there.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 12:10:11 AM »
I don't know if this has been mentioned. George North try for Wales against England prompts World Rugby law amendment. I think this is effective immediately. Details on the Beeb:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49434027

Quite right too.....)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 09:06:16 AM »
Whilst technically it was incorrect to allow play to start before Heinz's HIA replacement came on (Watson still leaving the pitch is ok in my mind) it proves a couple of old rugby adages.. play to the ref's whistle and never turn your back on the ball.

Some of the players had switched off and were ambling back 10m. It also goes to show the benefit in having a playmaker (Biggar in this case) who thinks outside of the box and doesn't conform to preset ideas of what to do next.

England had the chance to snuff out the try but with everyone scrambling to cover across, players were pulled out of their normal positions.

I noticed that AWJ was next to North as he caught the ball. He could read what might happen and decided there was little point in trapsing diagonally across the pitch to try and get to a ruck and decided to wait until the ball came back.. which is what Biggar also spotted albeit North caught the ball instead

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 09:16:32 AM »
First point is that I think the Curry/Underhill back row is a better option than going for size as we did in Cardiff.  Second point is that if yu take away the North try (which I think was an abomination by the ref) a 6-6 draw in Cardiff was a good result. I would prefer a better FB with Coka playing on the wing but with the right game plan properly executed the como of Manu and Coka could wreak havoc and stretch defences giving chances up the centre. Daly is out of form and so suspect under the high ball and tackling that I am surprised he is still there.  He has made no impact as an attacking FB and with our pack and farrel boot I think we can dispense with his long range goal kicking.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 06:35:41 PM »
Abomination or not, it will be forever recoded as a try. I suppose there are quite a few tries like that - forward passes, obstruction, etc. I thought it was Welsh fans who went in like this.
More importantly, England generally did not play well - 6-6 or not.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 07:40:18 PM »
They played awfully, and frankly so did Wales, who looked like they couldn't score in a brothel with a sack of cash. You should see my facebook feed - full of Welsh celebrating as if they have won the world cup!
Wales are a much better team than they showed, of course, but had it finished nil nil it would have been a reflection of the attacking quality showed by both teams.
The main injustice is that Wales went up the rankings on such an insipid win and NZ down despite their 36 nil win over the Wallabies. The Welsh defeat at HQ should have put paid to their No 1 ambitions for a couple of months.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 07:46:57 PM by westwaleswasp »

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2019, 05:09:20 PM »
Potential spoiler

Spoiler
I didn't see the game.... But....
Regardless of what you think of Jones, the team tactics or selection, it would seem congratulations are due to the team

Ultimate rugby gave been Young's 4/10.
Impressive to win so well if you're 9 had a such a shocker

petros

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 06:45:59 PM »
The interesting question is whether Kruis will be cited for his jumping clothesline at the end? If so and banned it complicates things for Eddie.