Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Joe Broken?  (Read 8406 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Joe Broken?
« on: September 07, 2019, 08:56:06 AM »
Came off injured last night - 'tweaked' his back. Hope it is only a very short term injury.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: Joe Broken?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 07:31:33 AM »
Eddie's comments yesterday on the RFU website suggest that it is nothing to worry about.

(Mako and Jack Nowell will miss the first two pool games.)

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 09:09:50 AM »
Eddie's comments yesterday on the RFU website suggest that it is nothing to worry about.

I know both Nowell and Mako are essential cogs within the squad but given you're only allowed 31 players is it really sensible to take 2 injured players?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 09:43:15 AM »

I know both Nowell and Mako are essential cogs within the squad but given you're only allowed 31 players is it really sensible to take 2 injured players?

I quite agree. Been thinking exactly this since the news re: Mako and Jack was announced.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 09:54:40 AM »
Agreed. Mako and Nowell shouldn't go for me - too big a risk. You need all your players available day one.

petros

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 12:05:05 PM »

I quite agree. Been thinking exactly this since the news re: Mako and Jack was announced.

And Slade has been out since before the warmups!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 12:18:49 PM »
Agreed. Mako and Nowell shouldn't go for me - too big a risk. You need all your players available day one.

Alongside Slade who's not played a warm up and four players who had hardly played an international competitive game as well - if things go wrong for the team/squad - there are some potential pitfalls in terms of having players ready to take on a knock out QF (or indeed knockout pool game...)

I've been a critic of the squad selection - the injuries we know about (3) and players (57, McC, Ludlam, Singleton) with virtually no experience at international level plus those of limited experience (Joe C 7, Underhill, 8 and Francis 7 - including warm ups) and you've probably - in my convoluted maths, got a squad of rather less than 23 experienced internationals fit and ready to go

Of course - it could be a brilliant plan...but I'd feel a lot happier with some obvious squad omissions being on that plane!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 12:36:02 PM »
At least Scotland have decided to put at least one extra player on the plane as a "just in case" substitute. 
Let me tell you something cucumber

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 04:02:19 PM »
Day one is Tonga. Day 2 is USA. Accidents can happen, but I'd be fine with Cowan Dickie covering loosehead if needed against those two side. Mako is world class, well worth waiting for.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 09:48:04 PM »
Neils - how do they decide the "just in case" player - back, front row, second row, or what?

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 10:00:03 PM »
At least Scotland have decided to put at least one extra player on the plane as a "just in case" substitute.

Don't believe they're allowed to actually have a spare player in the country once the tournament starts.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 10:02:09 PM »
According to the Beeb Bradbury is on the plane as possible replacement for Ritchie. Seems sensible.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 08:55:52 AM »

Don't believe they're allowed to actually have a spare player in the country once the tournament starts.

I think you're almost correct. I think additional players can be there but not part of the squad, so they can't attend squad meetings, stay at the same accommodation, training etc.

I think it happened to Healey at the 2003 WC where there were doubts about Bracken and Dawson having picked up injuries in the first couple of games and Healey was flown half way around the world only to be told he wasn't needed but then couldn't spend any time with the squad whilst there.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 11:18:38 AM by BG »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 09:06:39 AM »
Despite all that - my point was Scotland are thinking ahead unlike EJ. To me that shows a bit of sensible planning!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 09:09:25 AM »
Just name the centrally contracted player you think has earned the right to travel as a reserve player and we'll see if we agree on them...