Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Injuries  (Read 7004 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Injuries
« on: September 24, 2019, 12:18:33 PM »
Shit.
Vellacott out for season - ACL
Gopperth and Rowlsnd out for 6 weeks.
All as on RiL.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Injuries
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 12:20:50 PM »
Now on Offy

Injury news

Ben Vellacott sustained a tear to his ACL at the Premiership 7s and is scheduled to have surgery this week. He is estimated to return in 6-7 months.
    Will Porter picked up a hamstring tear and will be absent for approximately 6-8 weeks.
    Will Rowlands sustained a calf muscle tear and will be out for 6-8 weeks.
    Simon McIntyre has undergone surgery to his groin and is expected back in approximately 6 weeks.
    Jimmy Gopperth picked up a shoulder injury against Saracens and is expected to be out for 6 weeks.
    Kieran Brookes failed a HIA assessment at the weekend and is currently going through the return-to-play protocol.
    Lima Sopoaga and Malakai Fekitoa are back in full training and should be in contention for the Sale Sharks match.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 12:25:45 PM »
Does not make good reading. However, opens the door for others to step up.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 12:28:39 PM »
so down to 2 scrum halves, one an unknown youngster & the other with a pretty ropey injury record...

Unless I am forgetting someone?

Medical joker required I think!

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 12:33:02 PM »
so down to 2 scrum halves, one an unknown youngster & the other with a pretty ropey injury record...

Unless I am forgetting someone?

Medical joker required I think!

This is a major priority IMO, I am gutted about Vellacott, as he looks like a fantastic player. What worries me is the nature of the injury, I agree his season is over. Dai must be looking at drafting a medical joker in, as Porter is also out for 2 months and the 4th choice pick is very inexperienced. I think we can just about cope with the others but the SH situation is a major issue for me.
It was fine when I left it.....

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 12:46:05 PM »
As you all say, scrum half is now a major concern, but I can't see how we can fix that in the short term. We will be relying on our younger academy players. Medical signings are allowed outside the cap, but finding anyone ....

My greater concern is at 12. I cannot honestly think Jimmy will make other than cameo appearances this season, and at some point I think he will be sensible and bite the bullet and retire. The sooner he does this, the sooner a bit of space can be made in the salary cap. Sad to say, but there it is. and then who is our lead 12? Juan de Jongh? Booj, keen as he is, has some way to go before becoming Premiership level.

At the end of last season I highlighted how light we were in this position. One game in, and the weakness is laid bare. Hoping an Academy player can step up here also?

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 12:53:08 PM »
That's a good point NWW.

We need to look at a replacement for Gopperth and developing new talent to replace Gopperth too.

In term of replacement creative attacking centre none spring to mind.... I mean there's Beale but he's not exactly in form. Who else could replace Gopperth?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 12:56:34 PM »
Juan has really only played at 13 so I wonder if a switch of position is feasible.  We need to find him a position or he will be off. Ross is another 13 I think but certainly took his chance on the wing last season until I jury intervened.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 01:05:39 PM »
Exactly. We have Sam Spink, who is what,  just recently 20? He does play at 12. But so soon, at this level? I seem to recall he played winger last season at Nottingham, not centre.

At scrum half we have Sam Wolstenholme, much the same age as Sam.

And that's it. No more 'depth'. The bottom of the barrel.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 01:10:20 PM »
In short, our backs are almost all newish and being thrown in the deep end. This is going to be a long hard year, which we started with Lima and Malakai injured, and Minozzi just back from injury but away on International duty.

I wonder how Owain James would fare at 12?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 01:10:29 PM »
From looking like we had a full cupboard to threadbare in a week. Dai must wonder why him! All we need now is one of England's get injured and the big bad Ed calls up Dan - then we are truelly f@#%&d.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 01:14:11 PM »
Exactly. We have Sam Spink, who is what,  just recently 20? He does play at 12. But so soon, at this level? I seem to recall he played winger last season at Nottingham, not centre.

At scrum half we have Sam Wolstenholme, much the same age as Sam.

And that's it. No more 'depth'. The bottom of the barrel.

Has Odogwu ever played 12? I know he is naturally a wing but his recently added bulk and footwork could be applied to the position. Not ideal, I am just scratching my head as to where we will go outside of the club. At SH let's go big perhaps and go after Herschel Jantjies, at Stormers and we have the connections...however he is at the RWC so not ideal and a massive long shot.
It was fine when I left it.....

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 01:42:52 PM »
From looking like we had a full cupboard to threadbare in a week. Dai must wonder why him! All we need now is one of England's get injured and the big bad Ed calls up Dan - then we are truelly f@#%&d.

All sounds so very Wasps :'(
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 01:46:31 PM »
Odogwu has played in the centres at National 1 or 2 level I believe.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 02:59:53 PM »

My greater concern is at 12. I cannot honestly think Jimmy will make other than cameo appearances this season, and at some point I think he will be sensible and bite the bullet and retire. The sooner he does this, the sooner a bit of space can be made in the salary cap. Sad to say, but there it is.

Because he took a knock he should retire? I dont understand the train of thought. Perhaps Macintyre should also retire as he rarely strings 2 games together...Taylor too. I wager Gopperth has played more games than those 2 combined. ACL aside he's been a mainstay, its rugby, anyone can get crooked at any time, age matters not.

9 is now a worry true but I wouldn't want to over react. 3 weeks of cup games for Wolen to get some team experience,  bench cover for 4 weeks and hope Dan stays fit, then Porter is back.