Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Injuries  (Read 6806 times)

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
Re: Injuries
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2019, 04:58:08 PM »
I think it is because he seemed bullet proof before last season, then he gets crocked twice minutes after making his come back.  It gives the impression his body is saying enough is enough.  I don't have any data to prove or disprove this, it's just why it may appear so.  Only Gopperth and the medical team will know whether it is this of just poor luck.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 05:59:32 PM »
I think it is because he seemed bullet proof before last season, then he gets crocked twice minutes after making his come back.  It gives the impression his body is saying enough is enough.  I don't have any data to prove or disprove this, it's just why it may appear so.  Only Gopperth and the medical team will know whether it is this of just poor luck.

I appreciate what's being said, and I appreciate that age isn't on his side.

But contrast people's views of
Gopperth, with Alex rieder.
Both had a serious, season ending injury... First game back both get injured again....
 It was assumed that rieder still had something to offer - who not Jimmy whose 2nd injury is more minor than Alex's was

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2019, 06:21:15 PM »
Really gutted about Vellacott. I thought he would be pushing Robson for a starting place this year. Atrocious luck. 12 has been an Achilles heel for us for a while in terms of depth. As far as I can see options are JdJ Booj or Neal. Worrying that Gopperth is now picking up frequent injuries. Brookes absence could be a big factor as well as it gives no time for JTA to adjust with Owlett in reserve.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2019, 06:25:27 PM »

I appreciate what's being said, and I appreciate that age isn't on his side.

But contrast people's views of
Gopperth, with Alex rieder.
Both had a serious, season ending injury... First game back both get injured again....
 It was assumed that rieder still had something to offer - who not Jimmy whose 2nd injury is more minor than Alex's was
True, and if it had happened to Reider on his second comeback I would be thinking that he would be looking to retire too. Also as you get older recovery is so much harder.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2019, 09:35:00 AM »
I can't quite believe  we are suffering the same early season injury woes again.

Is it just bad luck or is it something else?

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2019, 09:40:08 AM »
After feeling positive all summer, it all seems to be going the same way as last year.

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2019, 10:30:08 AM »
I can't quite believe  we are suffering the same early season injury woes again.

Is it just bad luck or is it something else?

I am beginning to wonder if there is something fundamentally wrong with our preparation as we do seem to have a high rate of players injured.  Haven’t done any research to see if we are more unlucky than other clubs.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2019, 10:39:13 AM »
Not sure on this. Of the 8 players mentioned 4 were injured in play visible to all. Not qualified enough to suggest it is our training regime on the others. Do we train on plastic though?
Let me tell you something cucumber

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2019, 06:41:06 PM »
I have only seen the highlights, but what is the Uraguay 9 doing after the pool stages?

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2019, 07:39:01 PM »
It would be possible to train techniques that have the cosequence of putting opposition at greater risk of injury, such as two or more tackles at different angles. I doubt it happens intentionally to cause harm, but I do always feel paranoid when that thought pops into my mind.

It would be interesting to correlate leg injuries with introduction of stricter enforcement of high tackle.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2019, 07:42:14 PM »
Watched it this morning and it was a joy seeing a team play with a smile. A few looked good players. Don't know where Uruguaians normally end up as professional players.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2019, 08:47:05 PM »
Watched it this morning and it was a joy seeing a team play with a smile. A few looked good players. Don't know where Uruguaians normally end up as professional players.

MLR appears to be one of the destinations for Uruguayans, a list here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Rugby_World_Cup_squads#Uruguay, the very handy 9 plays at the Houston Sabercats, alongside some other Uruguayans https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_SaberCats#Current_squad
It was fine when I left it.....

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2019, 08:18:14 AM »
Good to see Jimmy stating on twitter that he is not done yet. This in response to messages he received.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2019, 09:00:28 AM »

MLR appears to be one of the destinations for Uruguayans, a list here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Rugby_World_Cup_squads#Uruguay, the very handy 9 plays at the Houston Sabercats, alongside some other Uruguayans https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_SaberCats#Current_squad

Article from this mornings Guardian:

Uruguay’s shock win over Fiji was our greatest – this is how we did it

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/25/uruguay-rugby-world-cup-incredible-victory

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2019, 09:21:01 AM »
I think EJ said every team has one game in them but that it's harder to back it up with a short turnaround. I think the WC will be about attrition and mental fortitude