Always a Wasp

Author Topic: 2nd Playmaker  (Read 10228 times)

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
2nd Playmaker
« on: November 04, 2019, 09:47:35 AM »
Very early for transfer gossip but with the success of Jimmy’s return and his effect on Lima’s game at the weekend, think it’s pretty clear that we need a second playmaker at 12.

My question is in 2 parts:

1) Jimmy cannot play every game this season- who could do his job when he does not play?

2) At the end of the season, who could we sign long term to do that job?

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Playmaker
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 09:53:23 AM »
Few players I would like to see/recommend:

Beale, Lozowski, Spink (Gopperth to develop him like Mallins has been developed by Goode).

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
2nd Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 09:54:18 AM »
I’ll also share my 2p:

1) as unlikely as it is, would be very exciting to see if Lima and Billy could replicate the Cips- Jimmy combo that was so successful (especially offering that left-foot right-foot option and both being willing runners- could be much more fluid than Jimmy and Cips)

2) Lots of plaudits for Atkinson at Glos as he can play much more direct too which draws in defenders and opens the space wider.

Would also like to see if Beale could replicate his form from last time in the prem- albeit at 12.

With Sarries maybe having to let go of their vast amounts of talent, Loz could be a player that we offer an olive branch to as he could work very well as an outside playmaker.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 09:55:46 AM »
Few players I would like to see/recommend:

Beale, Lozowski, Spink (Gopperth to develop him like Mallins has been developed by Goode).

Forgot to mention Spink- looks a real player and hopefully will get some opportunity through the season

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 10:06:32 AM »
Spink I would say.

We can't afford Beale, and I am not sure he would be coming back North. I am not sure Loz would want to leave London.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 10:51:44 AM »
In theory I would like a playmaker at 12 and seeing as they're as rare as hen's teeth it might be worth developing one within house whilst Gopps plays out his career. We must be getting close to our EQP ratio limit (Is Jimmy EQP I wonder?)

I think someone asked the question in another thread about how many times did Gopps stand at 10 and Sopps at 12 in the Bath game? If the highlight clip is anything to go by.. a lot, so why don't we pursue that with the players (Umaga, Searle, Gopps, Sopps) that we have. Develop a system of plays that means all can swap between 1st and 2nd receiver.

It would be nice to have a Jamie Roberts type 12 in the squad crashing the ball down the 10 channel (Ryan Mills at Wuss) but quite often if that's required, the task is undertaken by fowards.. Rowlands try on Saturday being the prime example.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 10:52:04 AM »
Spink I would say.

We can't afford Beale, and I am not sure he would be coming back North. I am not sure Loz would want to leave London.

Don’t know if Beale would be as pricey as many would think due to his erratic form and increased age- could be enough at 12 to bridge the gap between Jimmy and Spink. Also has some unfinished business in black and gold.

Loz also might not have much choice about staying at Sarries, guess Quins and Irish’s move to Brentford could satisfy his desire to stay in London although Irish must be pretty close to the cap

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 11:10:28 AM »
Beale (when he was available) was brilliant for us but that was as a 15. I can't see that he would cope with the claustrophobic confines of playing at 12 in the premiership. I think he excels in wide open spaces with time to run at people.

He will definitely be looking for a last big contract and if I were a betting man, my 1 pence would be a move to Japan.

I can't see how Sarries can be forced to offload players. In terms of employment contracts it will open up a massive can of worms.

What may happen is that Sarries be asked to reduce their available squad numbers.

Sarries have the option of keeping players on contract but not being able to use them for the rest of the season. Some players may then leave and go play for another club "on loan" whilst still being paid by Sarries.

I can't see how PRL or Sarries can force a player to leave. Employment solicitors would be rubbing their grubby little hands at the prospect.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 11:17:26 AM »
Beale (when he was available) was brilliant for us but that was as a 15. I can't see that he would cope with the claustrophobic confines of playing at 12 in the premiership. I think he excels in wide open spaces with time to run at people.

He will definitely be looking for a last big contract and if I were a betting man, my 1 pence would be a move to Japan.

I can't see how Sarries can be forced to offload players. In terms of employment contracts it will open up a massive can of worms.

What may happen is that Sarries be asked to reduce their available squad numbers.

Sarries have the option of keeping players on contract but not being able to use them for the rest of the season. Some players may then leave and go play for another club "on loan" whilst still being paid by Sarries.

I can't see how PRL or Sarries can force a player to leave. Employment solicitors would be rubbing their grubby little hands at the prospect.

Been some comment about a reduced cap size and I’d guess if they broke that then it goes to fines- don’t think players would be told to leave by the league but may be paid off by Sarries for the club to reduce their wage bill themselves.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 11:21:03 AM »
Just thought I'd clarify I suggested Loz because of the salary situation currently at Sarries, but more importantly Loz will be competing with Barritt, Taylor, Tompkins and Daly for Centre. Reckon both may persuade him to leave.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 11:28:19 AM »
Just thought I'd clarify I suggested Loz because of the salary situation currently at Sarries, but more importantly Loz will be competing with Barritt, Taylor, Tompkins and Daly for Centre. Reckon both may persuade him to leave.

Interesting because they had to persuade him he had a future role to re-sign last season - obviously with a decrease in salary.
Let me tell you something cucumber

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 11:42:12 AM »
If anyone was going to accept a payoff to leave I suspect it would be Barritt (seeing as he has his nice little coffee franchise at the stadium) and is at the end of his career. Why should Loz have to leave.

Also. . if Barritt left Wray or one of his very rich friends could employ him as a property consultant outside of the perimeter of the salary cap as he would no longer be part of Sarries.

The problem with forcing Sarries to strip the squad size down is.. where do the players go.. most clubs will all be up to their Salary cap and who wants to take a player on that doesn't want to be there. We suffered that last season.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 11:49:01 AM »
If anyone was going to accept a payoff to leave I suspect it would be Barritt (seeing as he has his nice little coffee franchise at the stadium) and is at the end of his career. Why should Loz have to leave.

Also. . if Barritt left Wray or one of his very rich friends could employ him as a property consultant outside of the perimeter of the salary cap as he would no longer be part of Sarries.

The problem with forcing Sarries to strip the squad size down is.. where do the players go.. most clubs will all be up to their Salary cap and who wants to take a player on that doesn't want to be there. We suffered that last season.

Actually who cares! The EAs may have got themselves into a legally indefensable situation and Mr Wray will have to pay his way out of it one way or another. When (if) the house of cards does fall there will, unfortunately, be casualties. Wrong thread really.
Let me tell you something cucumber

BdeB

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 11:56:18 AM »
I think Spink is potentially a great player but I have never seen him in the 12 playmaker role. I think he is more a 13 who could do a job at 12.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 12:08:22 PM »
Has anyone seen Owain James play at 12?
The few times I've seen him play he's looked quite creative, might be worth a look?