Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Sale Game Thread  (Read 24741 times)

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Sale Game Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2019, 09:49:34 PM »
the better team won today. Far too many penalties and handling was poor. But I do think, as Dai will probably say, we are getting better as there were a few positives today

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2019, 09:52:41 PM »
Not quite sure what to make of that. I think the ref wasn't helpful - but you have to adapt - even if that means he might not have read Law 14 and 15 recent times....the breakdown was a mess. Even Austin called a couple right. 

But no excuse for the loss - put ourselves into the game and then looked defensively, like we'd met in the car park too often. Aimless kicking and no real plan for ball in hand. I could sense Dai's frustrations with the lateral ball, but surely, you back to basics and just get some field position?

My glass feels half empty rather, it looked like we were kicking on and then managed to lose all direction.

I wasn't convinced, if we were offside that we were alone.....

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2019, 09:53:23 PM »
At times you wonder if in October they met up, introduced themselves and did a show and tell about what they did during pre-season.
Then at other times they do some great stuff.

There is just some magic glue missing. Is iust just that we have so many new at one time and they need more real playing time together?

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2019, 09:58:24 PM »
Well that was truly awful, some players I’m afraid are not good enough to play for us.

The New Zealand prop who I can’t be bothered to name is awful what the hell did Dai see in him. Terrible scrummaging, how is he 2nd choice, some very dumb discipline play.

We are in serious trouble even with Saracens losing 35 points.

I’m sorry guys but I’m really angry with our play and how we are coached.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2019, 09:59:39 PM »
2 poor sides on a bad day. Unfortunately Wasps were worse. Last 3 minutes sums it all up.

Hopeless kick by Searle nowhere close enough to the Sale line to set up a driving maul try to draw the game with a man advantage. Inadequate support at breakdown 2 phases  later to give away another penalty and concede field position.  Stupid indiscipline for red card and penalty, which Sale kick to deny even a losing bonus point.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2019, 10:11:26 PM »
Sadly we got what we deserved - nil points.

Not doing the basics and unforced errors are letting us down badly. And not for the first time, the backs look as though they could not punch a hole in a paper bag - other than Kibi.

I fear for us, next week in Bordeaux.

Wasp250

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2019, 10:36:14 PM »
Sadly we got what we deserved - nil points.

Not doing the basics and unforced errors are letting us down badly. And not for the first time, the backs look as though they could not punch a hole in a paper bag - other than Kibi.

I fear for us, next week in Bordeaux.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasp250

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2019, 10:38:03 PM »
Even Steve Vaughan is I’m impressed with Dia

Wasp250

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2019, 10:48:12 PM »
Not impressed

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2019, 11:03:25 PM »
Even Steve Vaughan is I’m impressed with Dia

Where does this come from?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Wasp250

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2019, 11:04:49 PM »
Steve Vaughan

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2019, 11:56:06 PM »
Well that was truly awful, some players I’m afraid are not good enough to play for us.

The New Zealand prop who I can’t be bothered to name is awful what the hell did Dai see in him. Terrible scrummaging, how is he 2nd choice, some very dumb discipline play.

We are in serious trouble even with Saracens losing 35 points.

I’m sorry guys but I’m really angry with our play and how we are coached.

It was Ben Harris that struggled at scrum-time not JT-A.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2019, 12:30:01 AM »
JTA was ok I thought and Harris was the issue. All you need to know about this is 19 penalties. 10 times out of 10 19 pens will get you no points. What on earth were we doing two mins from the end??

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2019, 01:53:47 AM »
We seem to have reached a stage with Lima that when he has a mediocre/middling- ok - solid does the basics right but offers not much else- game it can be hailed as a success. So I guess we can be happy there as he was solid. However, whatever wavelength he is on it was not tuned into by Jimmy, who looked a fair bit off the pace I feel.  Searle offered nothing much either too, sadly, the backs as a whole looked like a bit of a brown shower at times, with intermittent bright sparks being down to individuals' brilliance rather than coherent game plans.

Still I think the recent debates over 8 have been put to bed- he looked fab, and we know at least one of our first choice wingers- what a finish. MM looks the part too, at least at first glance.

I fear that 1-3 and the matches to come puts us up against it in terms of pressure- which will adversely impact performance given the fixtures to come- does anyone else feel that way too? Or are people confident that it will turn around?
Is it worth experimenting with the team or sticking with the current approach? Is Dai trying to play a more kicking-based game or is it a reaction by the players as we seem to kick more?
I would genuinely like to hear other's views on this.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 02:53:09 AM by westwaleswasp »

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2019, 04:02:35 AM »
It looks to me as if the players either or some of all:

Lack confidence in the plays they are being trained to make
Lack confidence in those around them and their ability to make the plays
Lack awareness/experience of each other in a match situation

We are seeing great moments with large amounts of disjointed play. Kicking seems often to be the result of running out of ideas, not always but often.

With the SalarySins as an example, they have a long established and stable squad and play a game where each does his part and has confidence in the others around them to do theirs, so fewer individuals trying to take matters into their own hands, and so a reduction in silly penalties (individuals rushing out of the line and getting pinged for example) and the end result is a team that is greater than the sum of its parts.

At present our team is less than the sum of its parts.

Could be poor training, could be lack of match play together, lack of confidence. I am sure that the players we have can play as a far better team.