Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Exeter Rumour v EAs  (Read 3156 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Exeter Rumour v EAs
« on: November 25, 2019, 12:21:14 PM »
Apparently behind the Times paywall Owen Slott is saying Exeter (Tony Rowe) to take EAs to court. Hope others join in if true.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Exeter Rumour v EAs
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 12:26:57 PM »
Not got a subscription but the first couple of paragraphs are visible.

"Exeter Chiefs are investigating taking legal action against Saracens to recover revenue they lost as a result of losing two Premiership titles to a team who have since been found in breach of the salary-cap rules."

Not sure how close this makes actually going to court, I imagine he has been contemplating this for a while.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 12:29:55 PM »
Agree. He has been very vocal. Also can't believe other owners have not considered something similar.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 12:44:17 PM »
To paraphrase Rob Baxter, this is too complicated to just say Exeter would've won if Sarries weren't cheats.

Consider all the other teams that could've reached top 4 and had home semi finals, e.g. Wasps in 2018. You can't assume the season would've gone the same way.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 01:06:26 PM »
To paraphrase Rob Baxter, this is too complicated to just say Exeter would've won if Sarries weren't cheats.

Consider all the other teams that could've reached top 4 and had home semi finals, e.g. Wasps in 2018. You can't assume the season would've gone the same way.

Exactly, and that will probably be enough for It to get thrown out.... Or at least not in Exeter's favour.

If a single action was brought against Saracens by all other clubs for lost revenue then that may have merit, but again, it's probably difficult enough to quantify that it'd get thrown out

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 01:15:12 PM »
I think Exeter would struggle on the basis of income.

It is too complex, as if the EA's had complied, they would have a less international packed team, and other teams would be stronger. ITs a bit of a matrix situation, such that there is no key issue to press upon

However, its certainly worth the other clubs calling on the legal contacts they all must have to see if there is an angle. Its looking far too much like they are getting away with what is basically financial doping.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 01:54:19 PM »
This sounds like it would be a civil case (lost income) but Exeter are (if this is true) suing the wrong people.

If they go down the contract law route (using archaic laws) against PRL for not fulfilling their role then that will then filter down to Sarries.

Exeter could quite easily prove that PRL aren't fulfilling their side of the contract of supplying an even league based on a salary cap.. over 3 yrs.

Not knowing or not being aware is not an excuse unfortunately

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 02:12:47 PM »
I really couldn't care which route somebody takes just get them into court (any variety) because it stinks to high heaven.

Remember it is three seasons of CHEATING so teams who missed out on Europe, got relegated, didn't get top 4 and didn't win the top spot ALL are impacted by the cheating scum. WAspos lost in Reading to a team who may not even have been there and if it had been a better supported team it woiuld probably have been a sell out - money we lost even if we lost.

I do not agree that Exeter would have won and should be awarded anything BUT they were cheated as were every otrher team in the Premiership. Also it doesn't wear that their Euro wins should remain untouched - they cheated to their position in our league for three seasons so gain seeding preference.

Fats

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 02:24:42 PM »
Exeter Chiefs plan to sue Saracens over salary cap scandal
Owen Slot, Chief Rugby Correspondent
November 25 2019, 12:01am,
The Times

Exeter Chiefs are investigating taking legal action against Saracens to recover revenue they lost as a result of losing two Premiership titles to a team who have since been found in breach of the salary-cap rules.

Tony Rowe, the Exeter chairman, has branded Nigel Wray, his opposite number at Saracens, a “cheater” and is due to meet lawyers today to discuss whether Exeter have a legal case.

Saracens were deducted 35 points and fined £5.36 million for breaking the salary cap in each of the past three seasons. In two of those seasons, Saracens won the Premiership title with victory in the Twickenham final over Exeter.

Exeter won the title in 2017, beating Wasps in the final. If they had won those next two finals against Saracens, they would have become the first team to be champions three years in a row since Wasps (2003 to 2005). “There would have been an impact on our commercial value,” Rowe said.

The value of any possible compensation is hard to quantify. The Premiership winners take a cash prize of £120,000 and the runners-up receive £90,000, but the £30,000 disparity would be just the start of any case that Exeter may make. It is extra value in sponsorships that would be far more significant.

“We have got to look to see if we have got any grounds for recompense from Saracens for cheating,” Rowe said. “We’re not sure whether we would have won. You can’t possibly know. The reality is we were cheated out of the chance to win two cups.

“[Wray] is a cheater. I believe he brought the sport into disrepute and he shouldn’t be allowed to get away with it. It’s absolutely ridiculous: he is still muttering away in the press about how hard done by he is. All he has done is brought the sport into disrepute.”

Saracens have beaten Exeter in three of the past four Premiership finalsSaracens have beaten Exeter in three of the past four Premiership finals
JASON CAIRNDUFF/REUTERS
Rowe said that he regrets that Exeter and the other Premiership clubs agreed four years ago to keep confidential another salary-cap breach by Saracens.

“They were put on trust that they wouldn’t do it again,” he said. “I remember the meeting. All the chairmen agreed to work by the rules and the spirit of the rules.

“The game is built on respect. It goes to show that Nigel’s got no respect for any other club.”

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 02:25:35 PM »
According to key EA fans on the Grauniad, there's nothing to it, as:

a) Everyone hated Sarries anyway, so ifs just faux outrage, and
b) £600k is just chicken feed

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 02:28:35 PM »
Exeter Chiefs plan to sue Saracens over salary cap scandal
Owen Slot, Chief Rugby Correspondent
November 25 2019, 12:01am,
JASON CAIRNDUFF/REUTERS
Rowe said that he regrets that Exeter and the other Premiership clubs agreed four years ago to keep confidential another salary-cap breach by Saracens.

“They were put on trust that they wouldn’t do it again,” he said. “I remember the meeting. All the chairmen agreed to work by the rules and the spirit of the rules.

“The game is built on respect. It goes to show that Nigel’s got no respect for any other club.”

So, not only were they over 4 years in a row, they basically lied about their intentions

Jeez, time for some club action, and Sarries need to demonstrate their compliance.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 02:33:42 PM »

a) Everyone hated Sarries anyway...

Please remind me why that was (and still is) the case!

I certainly bore no ill feeling towards Sarries pre-Wray.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2019, 03:39:44 PM »

a) Everyone hated Sarries anyway...

Please remind me why that was (and still is) the case!

I certainly bore no ill feeling towards Sarries pre-Wray.

OooH......ummm.....errr...buying up all those players and a bit of an attitude?  :D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 04:18:10 PM by mike909 »

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2019, 03:51:21 PM »
But they did cover it up, us and Quins stood against that iirc. So to complain now having been complicit in the original cover up is rather off. Still better late than never.