Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match thread - Exeter away  (Read 18069 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Re: Match thread - Exeter away
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2019, 03:07:05 PM »
While it wasnt a great performance I do wonder how many posters on this thread watched the entire game before offering their opinion.
It's hard to have a balanced view having just watched highlights or worse having just seen the scoreline.

I watched the whole game...
It was fine when I left it.....

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2019, 03:08:24 PM »
... and, when he recovers from his injury, we have Sirker arriving also. So, I am guessing no new wingers. And, none with us who seem any use at the kick chase, none who can kick forwards with the skill Wadey used to, and certainly none who can take a high ball under pressure. I can't feel good about that.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2019, 03:09:21 PM »
I think Kibirige was a relegation release clause, not a season loan as per Wilson going to Sharks.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2019, 03:11:34 PM »
Then I reckon all our wingers should spend all their time in training learning how to kick down the line to make gains and how to jump and take challenged kick receives.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2019, 03:22:18 PM »
2nd half was massively influenced by the loss of our locks. That lead to the yellow card which had a larger knock on effect.

Yes we squandered a lot of chances, but that's exactly the sort of thing that tightens up as a team plays together. We had a massively different backline to what we've used before and still did well. How many teams create that many chances against chiefs?

It was far from perfect, but it was absolutely encouraging for me. A lot of teams will struggle to play us if we have Umaga and Willis on the form they've been showing. Especially with how solid the scrum has been when we've got fit locks, not many sides have the Exeter scrum on the ropes like that.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2019, 03:33:33 PM »
I like sops, but he's not worth the amount we're paying him. It gives us the opportunity to spend that money elsewhere on players that are in form and don't require as much effort to transfer.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2019, 04:10:50 PM »
The issue with Sops is his lack of impact when has the ball in hand, his tee kicking is very good but his ability to influence play with incisive passing, gaining ground and his kicking from hand is pretty limited, it hasn't really got much better either. Searlie is too erratic, he acts before thinking on occasion particularly apparent in the A Team game vs. Saints. Miller is ahead of Searle IMO, Sops has to control play more than he does, otherwise his exit is pretty much sealed. It is a failed project as it stands unless he can step up.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2019, 04:44:04 PM »
The issue with Sops is his lack of impact when has the ball in hand, his tee kicking is very good but his ability to influence play with incisive passing, gaining ground and his kicking from hand is pretty limited, it hasn't really got much better either. Searlie is too erratic, he acts before thinking on occasion particularly apparent in the A Team game vs. Saints. Miller is ahead of Searle IMO, Sops has to control play more than he does, otherwise his exit is pretty much sealed. It is a failed project as it stands unless he can step up.
Totally accurate and fair.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2019, 04:52:07 PM »
We must get 2 wingers for next season and one who is big and fast.

Happy to keep Watson but not has first choice.

By the sounds of it we now need another 10 maybe Ford, I want a 13 and a 12 and a monster 2nd row player, that’s the minimum amount of players that we need for next season

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2019, 05:11:11 PM »
Maybe you can lend a help with the cap then.
As a side, I'm less worried about our form as I am of others, results this weekend couldnt be worse. a 14 man LI draw AT Bears, Quins beat Glaws, Worcs beat Sale easily....hope we find our soon, the table is starting to get uncomfortable already  :o

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2019, 05:31:47 PM »
If Lima goes and I should imagine a few more how can we not be able to bring players in.

Agree results have really gone bad for us, only tigers helping

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2019, 05:41:26 PM »
If Lima goes and I should imagine a few more how can we not be able to bring players in.

Not too sure that we can be considered attractive to ANYONE without a big pay cheque!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2019, 05:57:01 PM »
True, it’s just starting to get frustrating at the moment, we play well for 30/40 mins but still make mistakes, then the rest of the game we are lacklustre.

It’s like Shooting 20 over on a golf course but playing the last hole well, then going home thinking you’re improving

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2019, 06:20:43 PM »

Not too sure that we can be considered attractive to ANYONE without a big pay cheque!

To my mind there are two schools of thought on this.

There are players like Daly who move to a fully functioning set up that is already winning titles so they can get a piece of that action and pretend they were vital to the win.

And there are players like George Smith who came into an outfit that was struggling in order to be the one that made a difference and turned things around.

I suspect the second group have coaching in mind for a later career.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2019, 07:16:51 PM »

Depends whos out of contract i guess, i' not sure of the timescale for other contracts.