Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Team is Up  (Read 4050 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Team is Up
« on: December 26, 2019, 12:22:44 PM »
Team is on the Offy. Carr at 8 plus Tibo on bench.

Link someone?
Let me tell you something cucumber

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Team is Up
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 12:25:17 PM »

« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 12:45:54 PM by wasps »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 12:36:14 PM »
Looks strong on paper. Back row looks extremely mobile but I wonder if we're lacking a bit of power. Difficult decision as Carr has pretty much been our best player and Shields is injured. Maybe would have gone with Johnson on bench ahead of Vailanu. Finding Bassett's continued exclusion a bit bemusing and hoping MLB can find something extra at 12. Bristol look strong - especially tight 8 but I think we can beat them.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 12:51:15 PM »
Wasps have made just one change to the starting line-up for Friday night’s Round 7 Gallagher Premiership clash with Bristol Bears at Ashton Gate (kick-off 7.45pm).

Nizaam Carr earns a starting spot while Academy lock Thibaud Flament has recovered from concussion to be named among the replacements as Wasps search for an all-important win.

Wasps Director of Rugby Dai Young said: “Every game is a big game for us. It’s all about getting as many points as possible.

“Bristol have been going well and we know what quality they’ve got but we went there last year and got the result so we know we can do it.

“There’s a lot of disappointment after the weekend. We need to take some real intent into this game and if we play as well as we can, we’ll come away with the result.

“Every point is hugely important. You’ve got to try and come away with at least something from every away game but we’re going there to win.

“We’ve got to iron out the things that didn’t go so well last weekend and just keep working at them. We’ve got to keep working hard to turn things around.”

Really glad to hear that Tibo has got over his concussion.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 01:01:48 PM »
i'd have started Jimmy and tried de jong at 13, Fek has only excelled in missing tackles. Porter start, in fact i'd start Owlett at 9 over Robson at present.
I also think Ash has made more impact and ground than Vianu so him on the bench, shame he missed out.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 01:17:41 PM »
https://www.wasps.co.uk/news/carr-starts-for-trip-to-bristol/

Shields has been somewhat injury prone since joining us

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 02:44:11 PM »
Pati at 12. Bris supporters claiming strongest team this year.

15. Charles Piutau; 14. Luke Morahan, 13. Piers O’Conor, 12. Alapati Leiua, 11. Toby Fricker; 10. Callum Sheedy, 9. Andy Uren; 1. Jake Woolmore, 2. Harry Thacker, 3. John Afoa, 4. Dave Attwood, 5. Chris Vui, 6. Steven Luatua (c), 7. Jake Heenan, 8. Nathan Hughes.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 02:49:15 PM »
Wondered if the back three might be changed a little but with Bassett, James and Miller playing on Monday, Odogwu just back from a ban and an op and Sirker injured there really isn’t another option.
Will really have to be on top of their game with all the width Bristol keep, the crossfield kicks and excellent skill levels.

Not sure we’re going to be able to keep up with Bristol in this one but perhaps a reason A very mobile backrow has been selected.
Hope Porter gets on before the 75th minute if it’s not working for Robson

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 03:20:12 PM »
Don't know Fricker but Monahan and Piutau will be a nightmare to deal with

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 03:28:03 PM »

Fricker is slight, rapid, young and fearless. You’ll have seen Morahan, very classy player, Aussie, scored an absolute wonder try against the Lions a few years back, scored last week against Sarries, class operator.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 03:43:24 PM »

Fricker was playing with Dai's sons for Ebbw Vale in welsh premiership last season!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2019, 04:29:59 PM »
Some serious talent in that Bristol line up.  Several of whom we enjoyed watching in black and gold.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2019, 05:24:11 PM »
Very effective looking Bristol side - I'll watch over the side of a glass....hoping for LBP.

Any side with Charles P anywhere in the side is a better side, but the player I'm most envious about is Dave Attwood.......as alongside Launch and between a near world class front row and fantastic back row - it would allow a simpler game plan - which might just be a good thing.

Backs - continuity is a good thing, when you have confidence that the selection is basically correct. Jacob/Mike/Fek need to start looking like the answer and soon otherwise, we're going have to think about starting Jimmy and De Jongh, if only to cut the error count.

Robson has to show he is getting it back by 30 mins - we can't afford another flat game

Regardless - I am hoping that the leadership team has both looked towards a game plan that people are going to buy into and have looked to install confidence to play, in the team. Otherwise it could be a long night on the cheap red.....

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2019, 06:10:23 PM »
Don't disagree with any of that Mike. On two points specifically I feel for Dai/Robson on the SH situation. I thought we pulled off a sizeable coup getting Vellacott and he would step straight in for DR. On the De Jongh thing he's unlucky as he has been great for us. If MF doesn't improve soon JdJ should be in

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2019, 07:20:50 PM »
Don't see what Robson is doing wrong you be honest. His kicks have mostly been spot on. And kicking is the right option when we're getting no penetration.