Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Every word Lee Blackett said after Wasps moved into Premiership top six  (Read 5311 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Every word Lee Blackett said after Wasps moved into Premiership top six
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2020, 09:04:27 PM »
Agreed. He's done bits. It's unfortunate for him that he's missed the last two where I really think he could have had an impact with the amount of ball in hand we had. He's still relatively new to it so he has plenty of time.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2020, 09:52:32 PM »
Conceding tries at the end of matches:

In terms of this season I can think of Northampton game and that's about it. If it genuinely affected match results I'd agree, but it's not happening that much this season. We've only just started playing well, I'm not complaining yet.

In terms of Sops:

I see Sops like Beauden Barrett style (not as good, of course). Good runner and can sit deep, good kicking and highball. To me he is a fullback we should start and see how he does.

Fairly sure (could be wrong), we've also scored at, or close, the death to win games (or salvage points).

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2020, 10:54:28 PM »
If the score had been closer I am not sure if Umaga would have gone for the chip.

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2020, 11:50:49 PM »
What is a little worrying is that the team took about 30 minutes to get in to their groove and alter their plays.

I dont think it's worrying. The sun was extremely bright, low, and right in their faces for the majority of the first half.  Look at Watson getting a ball in the face.  The fact that we still managed to stay well within touching distance when we could hardly see is a great sign that we've turned a corner.

The sun was in their eyes and there was a tricky wind blowing into that corner too.

The big plus is that we dogged out a poor first half and had the courage to gamble on the try on half time which changed momentum, even though a straightforward 3 points were on offer. To play that badly for 40 mins and come away with 10 points at Irish was good.

An even bigger plus is that we worked it out in the second half which hasn’t been a feature recently. Fixed the lineout, won the collisions by attacking the shoulders/gaps and moving the ball quicker to players who were in motion. Once we started to break the gainline and find space we were a different proposition, especially at the breakdown.