Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Rumours thread  (Read 57236 times)

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Rumours thread
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 11:57:56 AM »
Seen via TWR on twitter that Scottish reporters have us after Nick Grigg from Glasgow.

Can’t say I knew much about him but after watching a montage on YouTube I can confirm he will be the greatest centre to ever play for the club and will single handedly win us the prem

In all seriousness looks like he can play 12/13, crash ball type 12 but is quite small and has a decent step and turn of pace hence the capability of playing 13. Really impressed me with his eye for a running line and tackles above his size, small centre of mass also means he jackals well.

Scotland international who is on the edge of selection  27yo so looks like a very decent player to be linked with- Lovobalavu type player

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 12:02:31 PM »
Interesting- when I've watched him he has been good. Not stellar but a good strong squad player. Possibly what we need nowadays.
Let me tell you something cucumber

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 12:14:40 PM »
Can’t see Thomas Young going to a Welsh team. Wales have a long list of excellent back-rowers and he wouldn’t be high up that list, great though he is for us.   

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2020, 12:19:36 PM »
I'd be happy with Grigg. A 12 who can run hard and break the line, and isn't afraid of putting in a decent hit in defence is exactly what we need.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2020, 01:42:43 PM »
Seems like the club is looking at gaps in the squad for next season rather than replacing players we might lose- suggests we’ll be doing a lot more re-signing than in previous years

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2020, 01:42:56 PM »
Not sure about Grigg, for me it again confuses things about how we want to play at 12. Do we want a hard runner or do we want creativity?

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2020, 02:02:47 PM »
Griff as a 13 yes. 12 no. Not particularly creative.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2020, 02:13:51 PM »
I'd be very happy with a 12 who runs hard, has some pace, a good step, and is solid in defence.  Right now we don't have either a hard runner, or a truly creative second distributor.

Let's for a moment imagine that we had Umaga at 10, with Grigg and Loz competing for the 12 shirt, with JdJ and Fekitoa competing for 13.

I'd pay to watch that.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2020, 02:31:36 PM »
I'd be very happy with a 12 who runs hard, has some pace, a good step, and is solid in defence.  Right now we don't have either a hard runner, or a truly creative second distributor.

Let's for a moment imagine that we had Umaga at 10, with Grigg and Loz competing for the 12 shirt, with JdJ and Fekitoa competing for 13.

I'd pay to watch that.

Very much agree. It would also allow us to play in a couple of different ways from the off or change the game plan during the course of a game if we need to chase or defend a lead.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2020, 03:00:49 PM »

I'd pay to watch that.

Very much agree. It would also allow us to play in a couple of different ways from the off or change the game plan during the course of a game if we need to chase or defend a lead.

Totally agree, I’m a massive fan of the Exeter model having Devoto there for creativity (and power) and then bringing on Sam Hill for a slightly more blunt and powerful approach.
Saying that the change of player requires a very different mind set in attack from the back line and a set of systems that need to be in play for the change of player to create a change of game plan. Exeter are undoubtedly smart enough to cater for the change and change the game plan mid match, I’m not sure we even know what our plan A is just yet, but I’m definitely not saying it won’t come.
(Also wondering why Ross Neal wasn’t used as a battering ram at times at 12 if he couldn’t get a game at 13. Far younger than Booj, bigger and quicker but I guess we’ll never know)

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2020, 05:56:20 PM »
A few of you are all talking about re-signings for next season and hoping announcements on that will come....

I’m desperately trying to find the interview where Dai states that there are hardly any contracts up for renewal this summer so we will be retaining the majority of the squad anyway. Hoping someone who also remembers this interview will back me up on this.

With squad consistency through to next season, I’d like us to make some very select and savvy signings to compliment what we have and enhance in specific ways, rather than just signing names or SH imports.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2020, 06:02:25 PM »
My bad for my post earlier about re-signings- Rory, you’re right I have seen that somewhere.

Dai’s biggest gripes over the past few seasons has been that squad turnover was too high. With that being solved then we should be excited

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2020, 06:21:42 PM »
Yes, personally I'd be happy with some key re-signings and possible extensions, a handful of academy promotions and a couple of signings to plug gaps as I think our current squad is in good shape and heading in the right direction. I'd throw some serious cash at Willis and Carr and look for a 12 (Lozowski would do fine or Grigg). I wouldn't prioritise another 8 if Carr is secured. Personally I think we need to make sure our front row remains sound so I'd be securing LH and TH before committing anything to the 2nd row.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2020, 06:43:16 PM »
Is Simmonds from the academy a 12 because I’ve thought he looks quite exciting from what I’ve seen of him so far

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2020, 09:08:27 PM »
Is Simmonds from the academy a 12 because I’ve thought he looks quite exciting from what I’ve seen of him so far

Yes.