Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Rumours thread  (Read 56874 times)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Rumours thread
« on: January 01, 2020, 02:19:20 PM »
Figured that whilst there's plenty of rumours around, it doesn't always feel worth posting them as a unique topic. So here's a place to put it, and keep other threads clear.

Bristol apparently interested in Cruse.

On first pass, I dislike the idea of losing Cruse, but looking at it with the view of Taylor, Oghre, Johnson and Barbeary, it's perhaps not unreasonable to lose a hooker (it looks almost inevitable), and whilst I do like Cruse a lot, he's probably the one I'd rather lose...

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Rumours thread
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 02:48:56 PM »
I'll add another, not rumour but uncertainty, Thomas Young has not Re-signed yet.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 03:19:35 PM »
I'll add another, not rumour but uncertainty, Thomas Young has not Re-signed yet.

Despite Dad being Dai, might have been offered a lower value contract. Budget is always tight, YY has little chance now of getting to play for Wales, and thus little chance of being offered a regional contract, and now has a poor (recent) injury record. Ca't see him attracting (big) money offers from other teams.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 04:23:15 PM »
Be interested in what rumours there are around locks and 12s. Been mentioned on the Loz thread but he could be a great option betwixt Jacob/Lima and Malaki

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 07:10:13 PM »
Also be sorry to lose cruise but at the same time I have been impressed with Ogre. Funny when you have no cash then the media stop linking you with every player on earth..so expect it to be quiet on this front for us.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 07:53:08 PM »
I actually think it is good for us to be quiet. It means that who ever is responsible for recruitment can go about their task in the background without things like TRP giving us rumour after rumour.
It is a strange feeling not expecting any announcements. I am sure some will occur especially re-signing.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 09:21:45 PM »
Read that we’re one of the clubs in for Ross Moriarty (Exeter are current front runners).

Can’t see it personally with Carr, Vianu, Willis in the ranks. However depends if Carr shifts more to 6/7. Wouldn’t be disappointed with the signing but definitely feel there other areas I’d like us to spend that salary allocation!

MarleyWasp

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 10:10:53 PM »
Moriarty is Thomas Young's brother in law...

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 10:27:04 PM »
Moriarty is also in the Wales squad. Don't think he has enough caps to be selected if playing outside Wales. And people on another thread have pointed out how well-endowed with back rowers we are.

Jac A

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2020, 11:16:24 PM »
On the Moriarty rumour, I'd be very surprised if he goes to Exeter - it looks like they are signing Jonny Gray which will not only take up a lot of budget but also allow Skinner to get more time at 6 and when you add that to Ewers, Armand, Simmonds, Vermeulen, Kvesic, Lonsdale and Capstick and the fact that they had to let Lawday go due to money I just can't see it.

For us on the other hand, it could almost be a swap for Thomas Young if Thomas wants to go to Wales to try to get some international game time. I'd be happy with a backrow of Willis, Carr and Moriarty (+ Shields and Valianu). That said, I love Thomas Young as a player and would much rather he stayed.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 07:20:22 AM »
Yeah I can’t see the Moriarty rumour having much to it but thought it was worth posting as not a name that has previously been linked.

I think a lot will depend on Thomas Young’s next steps in regards to backrow recruitment... if he stays then I think we’re well stocked and can focus on other areas. If he does move to Wales to better his international chances then I think we need to replace to ensure we maintain a high level of depth that we’ve always had in the backrow.

Not sure Young for Moriarty is a like for like swap in terms of position (Moriarty definitely an 8 rather than 7) unless we see Carr’s long term future on the flank. Don’t want to hinder Tom Willis’ chances too. So think it needs to be a flanker rather than a moriarty type 8.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 08:31:28 AM »
Don’t think we need a Moriarty type in our Back-Row.  Spend the (hypothetical money) on a big lump of a second row and figuring out 12 for us.  Reider can be replaced via another Champ punt or promoting from the Academy. 

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 08:40:30 AM »
Reider is a good shout, I'm assuming we'll promote from the academy. Is it one of the Wilson's whose ready?

Another concern is what if Simon McIntyre retires due to concussion? Who would we line up?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 08:50:33 AM »
... and figuring out 12 for us ...

I am hoping that, rather than big name, expensive imports, we remain focused on our Academy. I think that we may well see Will Simmonds come up this year, and probably Barbeary (if not this next year, then certainly the year after for Alfie). Who else this year? Maybe Ben Onyeama-Christie at tighthead and Will Wilson.

There are many others in the Academy, obviously young, who will soon deserve that first team shirt.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 08:52:41 AM »
I'd be happy just to see a raft of re-signings.  Stability has been our biggest problem in recent seasons.  Aside from plugging the odd gap due to injury / retirement here and there, and the need for improvement / greater depth at 12 and wing, I'd like to go into next season with the bulk of the current senior squad intact.

Would be sad to see Cruse go, but there's logic to that one with the emergence of Oghre plus Barbeary coming through.