Always a Wasp

Author Topic: EAs BBC - Squad May Be Dismantled  (Read 64696 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: EAs BBC - Squad May Be Dismantled
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 08:07:16 PM »
For what it is worth I don't believe we are fully up to the cap this season.  And if only one of the high profile players rumoured to be going actually do go, then we'll have plenty to spare next season.

Pure matter of interest how much do you reckon we are under by?

I genuinely don't know. I doubt it's a lot, but some things I have heard maybe imply that we were making an effort to be under, probably to allow us to take the moral high ground.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 08:16:34 PM »
I thought wasps were spending way under the cap for money reasons.

Rugby pod had it as though Derek was deciding to spend less hence we spend less.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 08:28:11 PM »
I thought wasps were spending way under the cap for money reasons.

Rugby pod had it as though Derek was deciding to spend less hence we spend less.

I dont know where they get their "facts" from. Maybe it's right, maybe not. Time will tell.

Derek is a canny businessman, and if the money is needed for the right players then I am in no doubt it will be there as long as it breaches no regulations.

WickedWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 08:28:56 PM »
On EggChasers today one of them said something like Wasps have the second lowest budget this year or something to that effect. We have lost some moneys worth but that sounds extreme.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 08:44:28 PM »
Funny how they seem to know the inner financial workings of the club when none of it is released.

Maybe they could let us know the next lottery numbers too?

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2020, 08:53:39 PM »
Dai was quoted as saying we are way below the cap...

WickedWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2020, 09:36:20 PM »
Funny how they seem to know the inner financial workings of the club when none of it is released.

Maybe they could let us know the next lottery numbers too?

They didnt know who Dan Baugh was. It seemed to come from Tim rather than JB, Tim being the credible of the two JB I put in the same category as the idiot Stephen Jones.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2020, 09:38:58 PM »
I assume the costs of the expensive PR consultants they are obviously using does not fall within the salary cap!!
- these changes may “possibly” happen.
- they are possibly making them because they want to rather than being imposed on them.
- the Wray family will continue to own Saracens.
- they will soon appoint at INDEPENDENT Chair - who will ignore anything that the Wray family say?!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2020, 10:02:18 PM »

Wray said something similar.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2020, 10:15:42 PM »

Wray said something similar.
Not sure he did ...besides, Wray owns it, Dai doesn't

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2020, 09:19:52 AM »
Can we start to trust Saracens again?
owen slot, chief rugby correspondent

If there was a sense of denial at Saracens for the past two months, it is now over. If rugby followers were searching for a reason to believe that the English champions may fall into line, they have it.

This is an extraordinary development in the salary-cap scandal that has dogged English rugby from the day that England returned from the World Cup two months ago. It is particularly extraordinary because of the identity of the man who delivered it. Edward Griffiths is not the most likely of saviours in the circumstances, but more on that later.

For now, the point is that Griffiths, the interim chief executive, has executed a most significant about-turn in the management of the club. He has acknowledged unequivocally that Saracens are over the salary cap this season — yes, right now, this season — and that he needs to bring them into line immediately.

We can’t tell yet what or how much needs to be done. The most extreme solution is players having to leave the club — yet that appears highly likely to happen. Even Griffiths says that he doesn’t know how much needs to be done because he started work only last Thursday and hasn’t yet got to the bottom of the network of financial arrangements in place.

However, the message and the tone of it is completely different to what has gone before.

It was on November 5 that Premiership Rugby made its shock announcement that Saracens had been guilty of breaching the salary cap over the previous three seasons and that they would be hit with a 35-point deduction and £5.4 million fine. The fine was the highest inflicted on a team in a professional sport anywhere in the world.

The response from Saracens, thereafter, was that they had been harshly treated. On a statement on November 5, the club said it was “shocked and disappointed” and would launch an appeal.

The questions that immediately needed answering were: if Saracens were over the salary cap for the previous three seasons, what about this season? Were they playing with an illegal squad again? Would the club be forced to sell players? “No” was the answer in the statement. “The club allocates a set budget for player remuneration. This budget falls within the salary cap.”

Thirteen days later, Saracens released a statement announcing that, actually, they were not going to appeal against the judgment. In that statement Nigel Wray, the chairman, said: “We can confirm that we are complying strictly with the salary-cap regulations in the current season.”

Just to make things clear, there was also a Q&A. To the question: “Is the club now in compliance with the salary cap?” The given answer was: “Yes. Under Premier Rugby regulations we are.”

The answer yesterday, from Griffiths, could hardly have been more different. He said that “mistakes have been made”, that what the club required was a “restructuring and recalculation for the current season” and “there is a situation here that needs to be dealt with, and we will deal with it. It is an easy thing to say — we are going to be compliant — but it requires actions to underpin those words pretty quickly. You need to back up words with actions.”

In short, Griffiths’s job is to bring the wage bill down immediately. It is inaccurate to say that this Saracens team is in breach of the cap because a club is only in breach if, at the end of the season, they have spent more than the £7 million limit. What Griffiths has found is that if Saracens’ wage bill remains in place, they will finish the season over the cap. He therefore needs to cut the wage bill. In his words, this is a two-phase job: “Identifying the solution, then implementing it.”

There are a number of ways to cut a wage bill. A player could end his contract at Saracens and take one up at another club — there has been no shortage of interest from outside. A player’s registration could be moved to a Championship club — that is like a loan agreement. A player approaching retirement from the game at the end of the season could be offered the opportunity to take that retirement instantly — immediately his wage for the rest of the season would come off the books.

Watching Saracens over the coming weeks will therefore be fascinating. Do not expect a sudden, dramatic exodus; more likely are one or two departures and some smart trimming where possible. What we can expect, though, according to Griffiths, are demonstrative signs of a changed club. Just recently, this was a club saying: “Nothing to see here.” Now Saracens will be courting trust and building bridges.

“This process needs to be successful on two levels,” Griffiths said. “It needs to be successful on the spreadsheet and with the calculator and it also needs to be successful with public perception and in the perception of the clubs against whom we play week in, week out.”

Can Griffiths really win back the trust of the rest of the league? He is, indeed, the least likely of saviours. As we reported in these pages on Friday, Saracens have “reappointed the man who led them into their first salary-cap scandal six years ago”.

The previous time Saracens were investigated for breaching the cap was for the 2013-14 season when he was previously chief executive.

That case was killed off only when Saracens reached a financial settlement with the other clubs.

It therefore took considerable gall to reappoint Griffiths last week. Why should we trust him this time?

This is his answer: “Premiership Rugby in the first half of the decade just passed and Premiership Rugby in 2020 are very different situations. My personal view, back in 2014-15, was that the salary cap was essentially a salary cap in name only and there were a significant number of clubs that were stretching the regulations. At that time there was an element of honesty among thieves.”

So was he just playing the same game as everyone else? “I don’t say everyone else,” he clarifies. “And I don’t say it is about me personally. At the time, there was a salary cap that was artificially low and loosely applied and that was an approach taken by several clubs.”

That is the history. Griffiths asks for a clean slate, a fresh start. He will get it here. Different decade, different status quo, different skills required.

No one else has yet been so honest about the past. No one else has pledged to administer change. No one else has given such hope that we may believe in the English champions again.

SteveTodd

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2020, 10:10:09 AM »
Sorry a bit of topic, but I noticed that when Wasps play at home against the Saracens it clashes with the 6 nations, so I was wondering. will we have some sort of a reasonable chance against them if they have lost players both to the 6 nations competition clash and losing players from their squad due to their salary cap issues?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2020, 10:28:00 AM »
No chance as they can still put out a team full of internationals. If we continue to improve maybe we won't be embarrassed.

Owen Slott - no chance. Griffiths did it the first time and was emptied out so why trust him now. All of them cut from the same cheating cloth.
Let me tell you something cucumber

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2020, 10:31:26 AM »
"Shock announcement" ????? Other than the EA's own delusional fans, who was shocked by the revelation that they were over the cap?? ::) ::)

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2020, 12:56:43 PM »
When we see the players leave, I will start to give them a modicum credibility.