Always a Wasp

Author Topic: EAs BBC - Squad May Be Dismantled  (Read 64854 times)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: EAs BBC - Squad May Be Dismantled
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2020, 08:00:39 PM »
Releasing players - a perfect example of how Saracens look after players welfare.

However, once Rhodes is no longer injured, his salary can start counting again, so better to move him on before he's fit.
Not sure how that works, who wants to sign an injured player, in a position that most teams have decent offerings and for Rhodes, he'll be getting shitty offers at best.

How long is he supposed to be injured? Rest of the season, or just a few more weeks? You wouldn't sign a player who's out for the rest of the season perhaps, but you might if you can get some good use out of him at the end.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2020, 08:10:12 PM »
"Releasing players - a perfect example of how Saracens look after players welfare.

Doesn't seem like a particularly fair comment. What are they supposed to do? Keep overpaying them and take another fine/points deduction?"

They are supposed to respect the salary cap.

When they break it repeatedly, and insist it is all about looking after the players, then their values stink when this happens.

This is called integrity. Something they have banged on about in their delusional past decade.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2020, 08:14:24 PM »
I must admit I'm sensing some kind of imminent fudge broadly along the lines of "We fined them and deducted points for past indiscretion but they'll be no sanction for 19-20 as there is demonstrable evidence that steps are now being taken by the club to adhere to the cap".

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2020, 08:15:21 PM »
"Releasing players - a perfect example of how Saracens look after players welfare.

Doesn't seem like a particularly fair comment. What are they supposed to do? Keep overpaying them and take another fine/points deduction?"

When they break it repeatedly, and insist it is all about looking after the players, then their values stink when this happens.

Shugs - They're books will be checked very closely this season, they've got a lot of work to do, and legally it's going to be very tough.
This is called integrity. Something they have banged on about in their delusional past decade.

Their values stink, but you either let them release players to get back in line with the cap, or they'll be over it again.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2020, 08:40:56 PM »
If they really play by their so called values, they would play to the end of the season with their current squad, then get fined again and probably relegated, and then start from scratch.

Anything else is a fudge. So let us see an end to these 'values' that are embarrassingly scrawled all over Allianz Park.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2020, 08:46:27 PM »

Shugs - They're books will be checked very closely this season, they've got a lot of work to do, and legally it's going to be very tough.

Their values stink, but you either let them release players to get back in line with the cap, or they'll be over it again.
Ce la vie. You got yourself into this mess....and lied about it yet again up to round 9.
On Rhodes, not sure how long he's out for but moving mid season isn't usually a position of strength...tough sell.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2020, 09:10:01 PM »
Read that apparently Wray is director of Simba Sleep, the same company that sponsors Itoje.
Who'd have thought.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2020, 09:21:42 PM »
Read that apparently Wray is director of Simba Sleep, the same company that sponsors Itoje.
Who'd have thought.

Indeed, it would appear so.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09703422/officers

Whether they're official sponsors for him or not, they're using him for their advertising.
That's image rights which should be included in the cap

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2020, 11:13:01 PM »
I believe image rights are linked to the uniform you wear. If Itoje does sponsorship work as a Saracens player then it's inside the cap rules but if he just turns up as "well known International rugby star Maro Itoje" then it's outside the cap. I noticed one TV advert he was in had neither England nor Saracens logos anywhere.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2020, 07:12:21 AM »
Who'd have thought.

Indeed, it would appear so.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09703422/officers

Whether they're official sponsors for him or not, they're using him for their advertising.
That's image rights which should be included in the cap

A lot of the registered people at that company have the same address..

60 Petty France, London, United Kingdom, SW1H 9EU

Some in New York as well..

Now I may just be clutching at straws.. but wasn't Itoje in charge of the lion teddy for the last British Lions tour.. Alun Wyn Jones used to hide it from him occasionally..

Simba was a character from a film.. the Lion King

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2020, 07:34:17 AM »

There's an article in the Times saying that Saracens were nearly handed a 70 point deduction.

I don't subscribe so I don't know the details of why it didn't happen, but I thought 35 points was the highest possible penalty

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2020, 07:55:31 AM »

There's an article in the Times saying that Saracens were nearly handed a 70 point deduction.

I don't subscribe so I don't know the details of why it didn't happen, but I thought 35 points was the highest possible penalty

Maybe because the cap was broken for 3 years (at least) they were considering punishing them for the entirety. 70 points would be consigning them to relegation, which I doubt PRL would want to do. Good compromise would have been to dock 35 points 2 years in a row.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2020, 07:57:03 AM »

And this is exactly why they didn't seek a review...

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2020, 08:04:34 AM »
I still don't understand why they haven't been stripped of their titles ?

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2020, 08:35:00 AM »
I still don't understand why they haven't been stripped of their titles ?

Because it’s not in the rules/policies/laws for the consequences of a salary cap breach that the league is bound/governed by.

I know it then begs the question that if Sarries operated outside of the same rules, then why shouldn’t the be punished beyond the rules which is I guess what you meant?