Always a Wasp

Author Topic: EAs BBC - Squad May Be Dismantled  (Read 64834 times)

DanJester

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: EAs BBC - Squad May Be Dismantled
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2020, 09:28:00 AM »
Did find myself wondering if Sarries might talk to their players who are likely to retire, or be out of contract, at season end and say "Look, we're not going to offer you a new deal, but if you take a hit on salary now; after you leave and are no longer affiliated with the team, we'll issue a make-up payment to bring you back to what was previously agreed"

Could quite easily see them looking to find some loophole like that, given their previous shenangians.

NorthYorksWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2020, 09:40:17 AM »
If it’s 35 points deduction for each season over the cap (and I would guess they were over by sufficient to warrant that number) then that makes for -105 points, that looks like National League Two South to me. PRL should have taken a leaf out of Scottish football’s book and penalised Cheats as the Scots FA did to Rangers (one of the two biggest clubs up there) for financial wrongdoings which dropped Rangers to the very bottom of the leagues. Rangers had the ability to get back up again (as EA would do) but it must have sent out one hell of a message. If the punishment is stated and in place then it should be used. Also, by my maths 35 is not equally divisible by 3 so where does 35 points come from 😀?

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2020, 09:43:49 AM »
I thought Rangers were re-formed so were a new club and so the vote from the SFL clubs was that they start gain at the bottom.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2020, 09:50:59 AM »
Saracens escaped 70-point hit for salary-cap breach
Owen Slot, Chief Rugby Correspondent

Saracens were very nearly handed a 70-point deduction for breaking the salary cap, which would almost certainly have relegated them. They were saved by Premiership Rugby’s regulations allowing for discretion in cases where such a harsh penalty may not be “in the spirit” of the competition.

The club are meanwhile bowing to pressure to comply with the salary-cap regulations and, after the news that Liam Williams is likely never to play for them again, a number of other players have been approached about leaving by the end of the month, and George Kruis, the England and British & Irish Lions lock, may move at the end of the season.

Saracens were handed a 35-point deduction for breaching salary-cap rules, which is the maximum sanction that can be applied for breaking the cap in a single season. However, the club were found to be in breach in three consecutive seasons and in two of those they were so far over the cap that they triggered the maximum 35-point penalty.

The judgment was reached by an independent panel appointed by the Sports Resolutions dispute-resolution service and led by Lord Dyson. The panel agreed that for two seasons — 2016-17 and 2018-19 — the club were more than £650,000 over the cap, which is set at £7 million. That figure is the threshold that triggers a 35-point deduction. The panel considered that, by adding the two 35-point penalties together, Saracens should be deducted 70 points.

However, regulation 14.2 of the Premiership Rugby rules allows a disciplinary panel to exercise discretion in cases where it deems that a penalty “would lead to the club being unfairly punished . . . or would lead to a result not within the spirit and underlying purpose of the regulations”.

The panel therefore decided that rather than being added together, the two 35-point penalties should run concurrently.

Saracens have been put under huge pressure by the other Gallagher Premiership clubs to fall into line with regards to being under the cap this season. They have also been in regular discussion with Premiership Rugby, the competition governing body, which is watching closely to see that they do so.

In an attempt to bring down the total spend on wages this season, Williams, the Wales and British & Irish Lions full back, will probably leave the club by the end of the month. It is highly unusual for a player to switch clubs mid-season.

Saracens are also in talks with Calum Clark, Michael Rhodes and Juan Figallo, who could also leave the club before the end of the season. It looks likely that one or more of those three will be off the club’s books by January 31.

Figallo and Rhodes are 31 and 32 respectively, they are injured and unlikely to be fit again in the short-term and therefore unlikely to be a huge loss to the club this season. They are also both out of contract at the end of the campaign. They have been approached because they may be partial to an offer of an early exit.

Clark has been a bit-part player ever since he arrived at Allianz Park two and a half seasons ago. He is 30 and would probably be less enthusiastic about a deal to come off the books. A loan deal with another club would no doubt be preferable to him but Saracens have received no such approach.

However, the possible exit of Kruis strikes a different note altogether. For the past decade, Saracens have managed to hold on to their best players. Kruis is 29 years old so there is at least one more contract left in him. Saracens have a rising star in the second row in 20-year-old Joel Kpoku. In the past, Saracens would have looked to keep Kpoku and Kruis. Now they are more likely to make a decision on which one to keep and the younger player on a smaller salary would be the player more likely to stay.

A spokesman for Premiership Rugby said: “The regulations, as agreed by all clubs, require an independent disciplinary panel to determine an appropriate and proportionate sanction in the event of a breach. Premiership Rugby fully respects the decision of the panel in the Saracens case and we have shared the judgment with other clubs.”

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2020, 09:55:43 AM »
So in essence they're gonna fudge it so nice Mr Wray and his cronies aren't upset. And never mind screwing over the entire Rugby fan base for years.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2020, 10:01:28 AM »
Thanks for posting, Heathen. A most interesting read.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2020, 10:07:33 AM »
I think the only notable thing about the current situation is that Sarries losing Kruis seems to be a big deal.  Every other team has been losing top level players they would rather keep for years.  Often to Sarries.  The fact that this is even news is a massively damning indictment on the ridiculous lack of balance that has existed for almost half a decade.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2020, 10:08:10 AM »
"In the past, Saracens would have looked to keep Kpoku and Kruis. Now they are more likely to make a decision on which one to keep and the younger player on a smaller salary would be the player more likely to stay."

Oh, you mean like everyone else who's playing by the rules??  Welcome to our world Sarries.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2020, 10:12:15 AM »

It's the first time I've heard that they'll have 2 points deductions running concurrently.

So -35 points for next season too.

Do they have a double fine as well?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2020, 10:16:17 AM »
I thought Rangers were re-formed so were a new club and so the vote from the SFL clubs was that they start gain at the bottom.

Exactly.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2020, 10:24:22 AM »
Thanks Heathen saves me buying a hard copy.
Sorry in the spirit of the game the point deductions should have been this season and next. Stuff concurrent. Also I thought it was a three season penalty. So where is the first season. Shedding a few players is not cutting it for me.
Also the continual reference to over a specific sum is not helpful. EA fans take that figure as gospel but it is becoming clearer that it is far far more.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2020, 10:27:27 AM »
It seems to me that they are equating stopping cheating with a punishment for being caught cheating.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2020, 10:28:06 AM »

It's the first time I've heard that they'll have 2 points deductions running concurrently.

Don't think so, surely that would be consecutively? Concurrently meaning "at the same time" means the other 35 point penalty is a hypothetical one??? Like when crims are sent down with concurrent sentences for different offences.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2020, 10:39:01 AM »

Don't think so, surely that would be consecutively? Concurrently meaning "at the same time" means the other 35 point penalty is a hypothetical one??? Like when crims are sent down with concurrent sentences for different offences.

shit yeah... utter stupidity

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2020, 10:49:10 AM »
I wonder how much CVC have had a say in the punishment?

In the podcast on this thread (I think).. Mark Evans, former Quins DoR, said its almost impossible for a governing body (PRL) to effectively manage or rule as they are effectively employees of all the clubs.. so they will make the best decision based on keeping themselves employed.

The former head of PRL is now employed by CVC..

Can you imagine how contrived the English Premier league will become if CVC manage to talk PRL into ringfencing.. I might as well subscribe to WWE