Always a Wasp

Author Topic: EAs BBC - Squad May Be Dismantled  (Read 64796 times)

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
Re: EAs BBC - Squad May Be Dismantled
« Reply #240 on: January 17, 2020, 09:35:36 AM »
Latest "excuse"

England would be the big losers if they are relegated and the squad breaks up. Some of the big names might have to look to France to get the sort of salaries they now earn and the national set up would lose the benefit of them playing regularly together for the same club. Plenty of people are clamouring for fairness and justice but it could come at a cost to national success.

So cheating's ok if it benefits the national side......ffs
Not just London...it is saying any international should be allowed to cheat.

So if Mo Farah or Bradley Wiggins are found to have been on drugs during London 2012, then that's OK, because it was to the benefit of the British Olympic team and the overall success of the London Olympics?  Glad that's been cleared up.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 17, 2020, 09:38:43 AM »
Two things strike me here..IF true.

Firstly, I thought the players would all half their salaries as they love the club so much and play for the shirt, not the cheque.
Secondly, If they are 8only8 650k over as they say, then even just a 10% sweep would cover that...which you'd have thought the players would go for as a group. Tells me they'd be well over 650k if that couldnt be accomplished.

It was always going to be the question wasnt it. If your unable to offload to another team, how can you reduce cap as players have contracts..other than through pay cuts.
Please make this so...

I guess that if they haven't cut the salary bill 4/11ths into the season, and they were £650M over the cap at the beginning of the season, then they'd have to cut £1,137M now, to get under it by the end of the season.  With players under contract, I don't see how that's going to happen.  My maths might be wrong but I don't think my logic is.

On the basis that they're £650k over, with the salary cap year being in its seventh month, they'd need to offload players on a combined annual salary of £1,560,000. That's before you factor in redundancy packages.

I struggle to see how they can do it without spiking several player's drinks with cocaine and then calling in UK Anti-Doping...

Of course, it's time (seven months), not matches (8 of 22+).
If the figures in the Times are anything like correct then they are going to need to find about double that as they were £1.3m over last season.

For what it's worth, I think the players will take the pay cut (although it will be massive) and then Wray will pay them off on the side.

I think you're pretty close to the mark with this - though it probably won't be Wray paying them

Rifleman Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 17, 2020, 09:44:27 AM »
Wray is no longer connected to the club, so I would think he is free to pay them off.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 17, 2020, 09:45:15 AM »

But, if the England contingent call on their relegation get out clauses, who would we like to sign for Wasps?

This might just be me, but, I don't want any of their internationals as I don't like their attitude. But that's just me

Rifleman Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 17, 2020, 09:47:11 AM »
It's not just you.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 17, 2020, 09:49:09 AM »

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 17, 2020, 09:50:07 AM »
There was discussion about suitable music for the Sarries trip to the Ricoh.

Perhaps we should just have that picture on the screen of Nigel looking like some smug Bond villain and holding a trophy whilst holding a minutes silence in memory of any last vestiges of Saracens credibility being extinguished?

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 17, 2020, 09:51:12 AM »

But, if the England contingent call on their relegation get out clauses, who would we like to sign for Wasps?

This might just be me, but, I don't want any of their internationals as I don't like their attitude. But that's just me

+1 - too much smugness

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 17, 2020, 09:58:53 AM »
Its the reason I was gutted that George got to be England hooker, as well as losing real leadership...

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 17, 2020, 10:14:05 AM »

+1 - too much smugness

But is that not just a product of the environment?  In a different environment could they be turned from "The dark Side"? :)

Billy and Loz always came across as good lads when they were with us.  And Elliot Daly was quite a shy, modest young man before he became established in the England squad and fell in with a dodgy crowd!

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 17, 2020, 10:15:49 AM »

+1 - too much smugness

But is that not just a product of the environment?  In a different environment could they be turned from "The dark Side"? :)

Billy and Loz always came across as good lads when they were with us.  And Elliot Daly was quite a shy, modest young man before he became established in the England squad and fell in with a dodgy crowd!

Probably true. We could set up a re-education camp.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 17, 2020, 10:17:43 AM »
Rifleman: Wray’s family still own Saracens.

Rifleman Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 17, 2020, 10:18:10 AM »
I just think to how Daly was before he left. He didn't want to be here, so why would we want to bring in anybody who would have rather have stayed where they were if they had the opportunity.

Rifleman Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 17, 2020, 10:19:59 AM »
Rifleman: Wray’s family still own Saracens.
Good point.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 17, 2020, 10:32:43 AM »

It's not just you, Mike. Why on Earth would Wasps or any other club sign a player who had been forced out of his comfort envelope at the EAs against his wishes. He would almost certainly resent his new employers and would up sticks at the earliest opportunity. His team mates would probably resent him as well. I thought we were trying to bring an end to this sort of culture at Wasps.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!