Always a Wasp

Author Topic: EAs BBC - Squad May Be Dismantled  (Read 64838 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: EAs BBC - Squad May Be Dismantled
« Reply #255 on: January 17, 2020, 10:36:48 AM »
Just seen on EAs board the minor contractors/sponsors have been called to an 11am meeting
Let me tell you something cucumber

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 17, 2020, 10:56:47 AM »
Maybe they are getting advance info from the 8.30 meeting before it is released that the players are going on to state minimum wage for the remainder of the season.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 17, 2020, 11:04:19 AM »
We live in interesting times.
Is there a salary cap in the Championship? I assume that if they are indeed relegated, there will be something in players' contracts about reducing salary & benefits. Although the arrogance of Wray & Saracens may mean they never expected that to happen so don't have anything in the contracts.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 17, 2020, 11:06:59 AM »
Just seen on EAs board the minor contractors/sponsors have been called to an 11am meeting
I wonder what Allianz are now feeling about this and also Barnet council who have agreed a £20m loan to develop the stadium.

Wray has only transferred his shares to another part of his family. He's still involved.

Apparently they are looking for a buyer to purchase at least 50% of Sarries. Given that Tiggers, who have assets, are struggling to find a buyer, who is going to invest in Sarries?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 17, 2020, 11:07:12 AM »
No cap in Championship (eg Bristol last season)

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 17, 2020, 11:09:44 AM »

But, if the England contingent call on their relegation get out clauses, who would we like to sign for Wasps?

This might just be me, but, I don't want any of their internationals as I don't like their attitude. But that's just me

I think Loz's recent comments give me cause to perhaps be less inclined to have him. I have not seen anything from Goode, for example, and have always been a big admirer, despite his lack of pace.
Tangentially, fan attitudes can change after a signing. I remember prior to signing Betsen many fans had a low opinion of him due to his perceived propensity for tripping, and yet he ended up being a favourite of mine and, I think, many others. I have to admit one or two EA players have made comments that stick in the throat. 

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 17, 2020, 11:12:37 AM »
Fair call on Betsen - fab player!

Of those in the squad - I'd probably risk Goode and Nick Isiekwe, one as a quite guy who does a great job, and one who is young enough to change

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 17, 2020, 11:14:45 AM »
Latest "excuse"

England would be the big losers if they are relegated and the squad breaks up. Some of the big names might have to look to France to get the sort of salaries they now earn and the national set up would lose the benefit of them playing regularly together for the same club. Plenty of people are clamouring for fairness and justice but it could come at a cost to national success.

So cheating's ok if it benefits the national side......ffs

My country is England, but as Kipling lamented, what does he know of England who England only knows? The game and its place in the world is bigger, surely everyone agrees?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 17, 2020, 11:39:21 AM »
Well - yes - you'd hope so...the game is surely bigger than the impact upon the England team....

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 17, 2020, 11:49:41 AM »
The integrity of the league and competition is far more important that England success. Given that very few of their internationals will go on the summer tour to Japan, I don't see why the impact of Sarries players being unavailable to England couldn't be absorbed. Other players will step up and take their place.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 17, 2020, 11:53:41 AM »
Interesting to see the EA squad announcement at noon plus The Eddie's on Monday.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 17, 2020, 11:55:08 AM »
If I recall correctly, isn't there a clause somewhere in the PRL/RFU agreement that allows England selection of players outside the prem "in exceptional circumstances"?

If Sarries are relegated & players go to France, I would expect that would be classed as exceptional circumstances!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 17, 2020, 12:04:12 PM »
Probably the strongest possible EA team picked to take on Racing. All out to re-win Euro cup?

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 17, 2020, 12:12:42 PM »
Of course, then they can play the "winning against adversity" card.

Juts saw that Brendan Venter tweeted about 3 hours ago:

"The thing i am now looking fwd to most is when the Daily Mail latches on to the fact that various other clubs have been doing some creative accounting to stay within the cap. Will all the haters stay loyal to their moral compasses. This story far from over yet."

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 17, 2020, 12:35:09 PM »
Not sure if this is new in the Times, or just updated. Article starts:
"Saracens’ breach of the salary cap rules was so extensive that they initially agreed to cut their total wages by £2 million by the end of the month.
The club may now have to accept automatic relegation at the end of this season because it is pretty much impossible for them to meet their pledge to cut costs so extensively."