Always a Wasp

Author Topic: EAs BBC - Squad May Be Dismantled  (Read 64786 times)

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: EAs BBC - Squad May Be Dismantled
« Reply #285 on: January 17, 2020, 03:38:46 PM »
They cannot continue to play in the premiership this season. If you play at half cock you are more likely to be injured and there is no spectacle in seeing an uninvolved team.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 17, 2020, 03:48:23 PM »
From the Telegraph just now:

The Rugby Football Union have indicated that there is nothing to stop England head coach Eddie Jones from selecting players in the Championship, but whether matches against the likes of Ampthill and Hartpury would be sufficient preparation for international rugby is entirely another matter. Particularly in the season leading into the Lions tour to South Africa, those leading players face a stark test of their loyalty to each other and the club.

Hadn't even thought far enough ahead to consider that Sarries' potential season in the Championship would be the season leading up to the 2021 Lions tour.  That alone could end up as a big factor when it comes to where their players will be next season in the event that their relegation is confirmed.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 17, 2020, 03:57:10 PM »
 A 'good' club averages about 3.7 points per game, and Saracens are pretty much at that. With another 35 points deducted, they are on -42.

They have 14 games to go @ 3.7 per game is 52 points. Net of 10 points. Tigers are currently on 11, and at their current average of 1.4 per game, would score another 19 points, putting them on 30 points, 20 ahead of Sarries.

So, will the players go all out to win as much, or lose heart? Will they have been told today that they are free to break their contracts (or, in fact, have they already been told that)? You wouldn't blame a player for trying to move.

But, as someone pointed out, most clubs have sorted out their squads for next year, especially their big money players, and I am not sure who would want to sign a player who, one might assume, would be reluctant to move.

One big, smelly mess.

I think I will close my eyes and ears, hum a tune, and watch our game tomorrow. I cannot go, for obvious reasons, so it will have to be screen cast to my Smart TV.

And then we have a five week home break before we play Sarries at the Ricoh, late on Friday night. Expect a low crowd for that. Maybe 5 Sarries supporters?

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 17, 2020, 03:58:19 PM »
They cannot continue to play in the premiership this season. If you play at half-cock you are more likely to be injured and there is no spectacle in seeing an uninvolved team.
+1

Another consideration is will they have to honour the deal with Spurs, regarding the stadium tenure (5 years) and marquee matches? I cannot imagine how an EAs vs. Ampthill or Jersey Reds at a massive state of the art football stadium will be a thing.

Another random thought that crossed my mind is will The EAs come up with a saviour model where they merge with a London area club (Ealing and perhaps Bedford) and return as a new entity a bit like Irish, however, their view will be that they are creating something new and helping to develop the game and improve prospects for clubs and supporters - probably madness, however, I wouldn't put anything past them in terms of what they may do to redeem themselves?

It was fine when I left it.....

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 17, 2020, 04:35:33 PM »
"A 'long list' of players available for transfer has been circulated, but there has not been the required interest, partly because Saracens previously adopted a policy of cutting agents out of deals."

Marvellous. Hoisted by their own petard.

Very, very glad this is happening.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 17, 2020, 05:04:32 PM »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 17, 2020, 06:30:45 PM »
In fact, the premiership should void all points obtained in games against Sarries otherwise the teams that played them in say December, were disadvantaged if they subsequently strat playing academy teams.

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 17, 2020, 06:34:46 PM »
BBC television news ran this as second story this evening.  Has there been an official announcement yet?
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

EssexWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 17, 2020, 06:58:10 PM »
One can only hope any payments from North London to Namibia over the last few years are properly investigated............

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
It was fine when I left it.....

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 17, 2020, 07:47:55 PM »
There seems to be two outcomes being discussed; another 35 point deduction or an automatic relegation. It's a bit of a mess. Really all they can do is relegate them now, wipe all their results so far and then agree if they can play their games as friendlies or not. Anything else will leave the league skewed.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 17, 2020, 08:04:25 PM »
There seems to be two outcomes being discussed; another 35 point deduction or an automatic relegation. It's a bit of a mess. Really all they can do is relegate them now, wipe all their results so far and then agree if they can play their games as friendlies or not. Anything else will leave the league skewed.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

This.

I;ve been reading the Guardian comments on this - I can't bring myself to comment anymore - its a parallel universe where Saracens ought to be let off because of all the good they've done for rugby in England and its just the "small minded blazers" from jealous other clubs that are the problem

F me sideways with a barge pole......
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 09:44:09 PM by mike909 »

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 18, 2020, 08:45:06 AM »
Here's a thought: all other prem clubs refuse to sign the Sarries players that they need to offload, causing them to be over the cap this season and incur a further penalty, and therefore relegation.

I don't think this would ever actually happen, and Sarries cold find other places to offload the players, but an interesting thought.

It happened!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 18, 2020, 07:29:19 PM »
It's now official. Premier Rugby have announced that Sarries will be relegated at the end of the season.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile