Always a Wasp

Author Topic: EAs BBC - Squad May Be Dismantled  (Read 64759 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: EAs BBC - Squad May Be Dismantled
« Reply #300 on: January 18, 2020, 07:49:42 PM »
Presumably this means they will sink regardless of how many points they make up through the remainder of the season. As none of the other prem clubs can be relegated, this will give us a taster of what ring fencing may do to the bottom clubs' games. In so much as none of them will have to fight to avoid relegation, us included. Could be interesting.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 18, 2020, 07:54:09 PM »
Presumably this means they will sink regardless of how many points they make up through the remainder of the season. As none of the other prem clubs can be relegated, this will give us a taster of what ring fencing may do to the bottom clubs' games. In so much as none of them will have to fight to avoid relegation, us included. Could be interesting.

The theory at the moment is that we're still well capable of getting top 6.

It's when the bottom 2 or 3 clubs don't have that to fight for that you'll likely see any change (if at all)

For now, every game is still very important

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 19, 2020, 09:24:59 AM »
Tony Rowe's comment, quoted in the BBC article, was very interesting:

'Asked whether Saracens should be allowed to keep their titles, he replied: "I'm not sure about that. There is still some more to come out and I'm not privy to talk about that at the moment."'

So they could have them stripped... Fingers crossed. IMO a "no winner" for the years Saracens did win would be most appropriate.

Also, are we certain that only 1 club can be relegated? So we know Saracens are going down, but might the side that finishes bottom, if it's not Saracens, also go down?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 19, 2020, 09:32:36 AM »
Also, are we certain that only 1 club can be relegated? So we know Saracens are going down, but might the side that finishes bottom, if it's not Saracens, also go down?

The last time there was more than 70 points between first and last place was the 2014-2015 season, so I'd say the chances of any club finishing below Sarries with their -70 points is pretty unlikely.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 19, 2020, 10:55:21 AM »
I'm in favour of them having their titles stripped. It happens in most other sports. Athletics, cycling and I believe M Schumacher was written out of the records for one F1 World Championship.

What EPCR does is another matter as technically the salary cap doesn't apply.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 19, 2020, 11:06:36 AM »
I'm in favour of them having their titles stripped. It happens in most other sports. Athletics, cycling and I believe M Schumacher was written out of the records for one F1 World Championship.

What EPCR does is another matter as technically the salary cap doesn't apply.

But the salary cap cheats got into the competition on the back of their fraudulent ways. Position provided seeding plus the overstuffed team (viz today's squad).
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 19, 2020, 01:40:13 PM »
Any chance of PRL banning plastic pitches during next season. 😁

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 19, 2020, 02:33:55 PM »
Any chance of PRL banning plastic pitches during next season. 😁

Newcastle and Sarries will still have a vote,  so probably not

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 19, 2020, 02:37:05 PM »
Ok stadium too small to be re-entered to Premiership.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 19, 2020, 03:22:33 PM »
Imagine the impact on the crowds at Allianz Park. Could drop by as much as 50%. So they'll be down to 40 or so.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 19, 2020, 06:59:25 PM »
I now think I've seen everything....unless I misunderstood the poster on the Guardian who said....

It ought to have been sorted sooner - as the info was all out there - easy enough to find by a journalist.....

This was an EA supporter who thought someone else (presumably the Prem) ought to have sorted the obvious

My comment (as yet unanswered...) was - if this was all so obvious - presumably the EA's were in pole position to "sort it sooner"?

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 19, 2020, 07:21:41 PM »

The last time there was more than 70 points between first and last place was the 2014-2015 season, so I'd say the chances of any club finishing below Sarries with their -70 points is pretty unlikely.

But the wording is not about a second 35 point deduction, but straight automatic relegation. I don't think it's likely another team would be relegated, I'd just like it confirmed

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 19, 2020, 07:39:24 PM »

But the wording is not about a second 35 point deduction, but straight automatic relegation. I don't think it's likely another team would be relegated, I'd just like it confirmed

"At the conclusion of dialogue with Saracens about their compliance with the salary cap regulations, it has been decided that Saracens will be relegated at the end of this season.

"At the same time as enforcing the existing regulations, we want to ensure a level playing field for all clubs in the future, which is why we have asked Lord Myners to carry out an independently-led review of the salary cap."

I read it as relegated regardless, the GP table hasn't been adjusted to reflect an additional reduction of 35 points, and, that isn't mentioned in the PRL statement. Saracens are accepting 'automatic' relegation. So even if they storm the league then it is futile as they are heading down. They will undoubtedly climb the table but it is with a team that is outside of the rules, hence automatic relegation, it is worth noting that was their choice rather than have a bunch of forensic accountants poring over their books - which is another massive issue, which may never see the light of day. I suspect a disgruntled player may break ranks and spill the beans.

Daly must be reflecting on this and thinking that perhaps the grass wasn't greener after all!

Links below.

https://www.saracens.com/saracens-accepts-relegation-from-the-gallagher-premiership/

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/gallagher-premiership-rugby/league-table/

« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 07:41:41 PM by RBB »
It was fine when I left it.....

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 19, 2020, 08:00:58 PM »

I can't read the Times article by Stephen Jones (thankfully), but from the gist of the headline and some comments on Google, it looks like he's suggesting that Saracens shouldn't have been punished because it's premier rugby's fault that it got this far out of hand

that's surely about as delusional as it can get.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 19, 2020, 08:16:03 PM »
Stephen Jones is a puppet, best ignored as his nonsensical and blinkered perspective on anything involving The EAs raises your blood pressure.
It was fine when I left it.....