Always a Wasp

Author Topic: To (try to) win, or to Blood  (Read 4288 times)

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
To (try to) win, or to Blood
« on: January 20, 2020, 12:44:13 PM »
With the threat of relegation now gone and with some Senior players not firing on all cylinders should we:

- Begin to give some of our youngsters increased game time, with a view to looking at their performances rather than the result of the game
- Continue to put our our strongest XV on paper to try and win as many games as possible

In an ideal world, we’ll try to balance both.  But potentially there’s a good amount of low-risk game time for younger players to get minutes under their belts in readiness for next season.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: To (try to) win, or to Blood
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 12:48:30 PM »
On balance, build for the future and blood the youngsters.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 12:56:42 PM »
I would like to see the lads that played in Agen given another go. Obviously a little plus or minus necessary. Yes the Agen team were lacking but the Wasps team played like a Wasps team should.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 01:01:29 PM »
We're potentially just one good week away from being top 6... I can't see us dropping that ambition yet.

AndyL

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 01:05:41 PM »
I tried to make a post all the same lines but it wouldn't allow me. I am co afflicted to two fronts of what approach we should do.  But trying to get into the top 6 should be minimum of our aims at this point.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 01:26:40 PM »
I wouldn't be making any special dispensation for reputation or past form and play whoever is in form, but we would need to be careful not to overplay the youngsters too.  Careful management should acheive that. 

That said, I can see the temptation to continue with the proven players whilst the top 6 is still a realistic possibility.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 01:41:18 PM »
I would argue that Dai has been bringing in younger / newer players and not just playing the 'on paper' best players.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 01:43:08 PM »
I wouldn't disagree.  I'm just, in a long winded and roundabout way, saying there is no need to change.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 01:45:12 PM »
.....and with some Senior players not firing on all cylinders should we:

My comment would be, which senior players aren't firing on all cylinders

If I consider our first choice team at the moment, compared to the first choice team at the start of the season, arguably only 2 or 3 players have their positions under threat.
You could argue that at the start of the season, Shields, Robson and Lima were all first choice and may not be at the moment.

There's an argument that more game time may help them get their form back or it might not.

Back Row has the biggest competition for places, but it's also the most attritional position on the park, so rotating through Jack, Thomas, Brad and Ash in the flanker positions isn't really a problem.

At scrum half, I prefer what i see from Wusty than Porter so would be interested in seeing him get some game time - although experience from the bench is a good start... but let's not forget Ben Velacott who will be like a new signing for us next season.

I think we're all coming round to Jacob Umaga being the future and potentially the present. I genuinely believe that he can still learn a lot from Sopoaga and those 2 sharing starting and bench spots works for me.

What other senior players aren't firing, and where else could we really benefit from risking some youth?

Obviously Inside Centre is a problem position for us, but I'd still want Jimmy playing as much as he can because having him outside Jacob can only help his progress.

I'd love us to have a couple of deadly wingers, but let's not forget that Callum Sirker looked nailed on for a starting berth this season. Hopefully he can pick up again next season anyway.

As for the forwards, I'm quite happy with the lot of them.
They're all getting gametime whether it be due to form (Tibo, West) or injuries (West, Owlett, Cardall) and everyone is showing up well.
It's a relatively young pack already and I don't think we're in dire need to change it up too much.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 01:53:46 PM »
If they are not playing for us next year then they should not get much of a look in.
I think Robson needs a run of games, but generally I want to see the youngsters as we have done this year already.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 01:55:11 PM »
If they are not playing for us next year then they should not get much of a look in.
I think Robson needs a run of games, but generally I want to see the youngsters as we have done this year already.

Do we (as opposed to Dai) know of anyone that is off next season?

strong rumours on Brad Shields

Anyone else?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 02:45:30 PM »

Do we (as opposed to Dai) know of anyone that is off next season?

strong rumours on Brad Shields

Anyone else?

That is the only strongly rumoured one. Actually the only rumoured one
Let me tell you something cucumber

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 03:09:40 PM »
Isn't searle leaving?

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 03:15:25 PM »
Yes.  That's confirmed rather than rumoured, and barring injury, he's not likely to be playing a great deal anyway.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 03:24:52 PM »
Cruise is rumoured to be off, with Bristol interested although that’s gone a little quiet