Always a Wasp

Author Topic: EA's Docked a further 70 points  (Read 8910 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: EA's Docked a further 70 points
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2020, 08:25:54 AM »
Any other changes to the cap regulations aside from those listed above?  It's been mentioned that in order to gain promotion from the Championship a team has to demonstrate 2 years of compliance, something which, by their own admission, Sarries will be unable to do by the end of next season.  Might this have been a trade off?  I'm surprised no-one's cottoned on to this as I've seen no media reports suggesting their exile could be for more than just a single season.

The regulations around promotion and relegation are published yearly and circulated to all the clubs.  There is nothing in them to suggest that this years regs will be the same next year.  I suspect they will not...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2020, 08:35:50 AM »
SO - why haven't the RFU charged the whole EA organisation with bringing the game into disrepute?
Let me tell you something cucumber

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2020, 08:50:32 AM »
A former officer of the RFU told me that the extra points were to ensure Sarries do finish bottom, as it has been pointed out that:
the regulations state the Premiership club which finishes bottom must be relegated, which could mean Sarries plus one other if Sarries didn't finish bottom. Championship clubs had already brought this up with the RFU.
Sarries, if they didn't finish bottom, must be allowed to play in one of the European competitions next year.

With regard to time to be spent in Championship, I found this on another site:

Darren Childs, the chief executive of the Premiership, predicting they (Sarries) will come straight back up. Looking to the next two seasons, the Premiership clarified on Thursday that Saracens, if they win the Championship in 2020-21, will need to make a salary certification in June 2021 that covers their year in the Championship, and a forecast for 2021-22. The current season 2019-20 would be immaterial.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 09:24:34 AM by RogerE »

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2020, 09:13:12 AM »
Makes sense.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2020, 09:28:59 AM »
Just another thought about Ed Griffiths resigning.

Anything to do with the allegations about him acting as an unofficial rugby/cricket agent?

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2020, 09:38:27 AM »
All their GP results should be expunged this season. Qualification for the Top 4 and HCC then becomes a level playing field.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2020, 10:17:27 AM »
All their GP results should be expunged this season. Qualification for the Top 4 and HCC then becomes a level playing field.

I agree. But, it won't happen, as there will be winners and losers. As indeed there are already. Total mess.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2020, 10:18:26 AM »
If a team beat them and suffered an injury doing so, then lost the points that that win gained them they'd be rightfully upset.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2020, 10:29:39 AM »
We are not even half way through the season - PRL should act now and void evereything to do with them.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2020, 08:10:37 AM »
Not saying they would but they could deliberately affect the Premiership table this year.

If for example Exeter were 2nd and say Saints 3rd. If Sarries wanted Saints to finish 2nd to 'punish' Exeter for all the perceived nasty things they have said they could put out an academy team against Saints, and the full team against Exeter. Results may no go as they hoped, but it would be very easy for them to do this with a number of teams, which could mean they have a very strong hand in deciding top 2, top 4 & top 6.

All their matched should be null & void now.

FrankWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2020, 08:23:17 AM »
You make it sound as though they are a team who would go out of their way to cheat!

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2020, 08:39:21 AM »
They dont care about other teams; only themselves.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2020, 08:45:20 AM »
Not saying they would but they could deliberately affect the Premiership table this year.

If for example Exeter were 2nd and say Saints 3rd. If Sarries wanted Saints to finish 2nd to 'punish' Exeter for all the perceived nasty things they have said they could put out an academy team against Saints, and the full team against Exeter. Results may no go as they hoped, but it would be very easy for them to do this with a number of teams, which could mean they have a very strong hand in deciding top 2, top 4 & top 6.

All their matched should be null & void now.

You make an excellent point. It is a hard call, but my view is that all played matches should be nulled and future matches abandoned. Of course this will advantage some, and disadvantage others. Some fans will be out of pocket for hotel and travel bookings already made for future games, and clubs would need to refund ticket sales etc.

My view is that this is just another fallout consequence.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2020, 11:50:02 AM »
but my view is that all played matches should be nulled and future matches abandoned. Of course this will advantage some, and disadvantage others. Some fans will be out of pocket for hotel and travel bookings already made for future games, and clubs would need to refund ticket sales etc.

My view is that this is just another fallout consequence.

Me too. The games are effectively non competitive from the point non compliance was demonstrated with season. One for PRL to take on the chin.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2020, 12:44:00 PM »
I suspect most clubs season ticket holders would agree to the games being cancelled. Personally in to a fair amount staying over for the 21st but removing the EAs from Euro qualifying impact is better.