Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Thibaud to Toulouse?  (Read 11024 times)

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Thibaud to Toulouse?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2020, 11:21:27 AM »
As expected this is in today's TRP but is just a lift from the French article.  Only news involving Wasps.

And mentions nothing about JIFF status which the French article was very clear on.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2020, 09:14:51 AM »
Whats JIFF status.. is that the same as EQP?

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2020, 09:33:24 AM »
Whats JIFF status.. is that the same as EQP?

No.  EQP is pretty straightforward.  If you're eligible to play for England under World Rugby rules then that counts.  So unless or until Rowlands is actually capped for Wales he remains English qualified by birth.  Gopps I believe is English qualified on residency.  Despite residency, Ash can never be EQP on account of his Springbok caps.

JIFF depends on 4 years (I think) spent at a French academy beyond the age of 15 (again, I think).  So Thibault is not JIFF despite being French.  The Armitage brothers are JIFF on account of time spent in the French system before moving to and choosing to represent England.  Exact numbers may be off, but that's the gist.  There's at least one poster on here better placed to clarify.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2020, 10:04:24 AM »
That is the essence of JIFF. Thibaud is unlikely to ever be JIFF.

The problem is that the number of non-JIFF players a side is allowed is very limited, and I think they are reducing this number as time goes by. A team has to have a much higher percentage of JIFF players than a PRL team has to have EQP in its matchday 23, meaning that even IF you get into the squad, as a non-JIFF player, your chances of being selected to play are lower.

Thibaud could sign for them and find himself rarely getting into the 23, let alone playing. It was his choice of uni that sank him. Understandable, as, when he rolled up at Loughborough, he would have thought he had no chance of anything but lower league amateur games. He would be far better off getting himself EQP qualified if he wants to play a lot of top quality games.

But, he IS French and may want to return, but I suspect he will regret it if he does. But, wisdom is not a gift given to the young. I truly hope he understands the risks he takes by moving to Toulouse.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 12:45:01 PM by NellyWellyWaspy »

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2020, 11:39:40 AM »
There are a number of comments from Toulouse supporters on the original article along the lines of "waste of a non-JIFF squad place", which is understandable, given that for all his promise he is yet to truly prove himself at the top level.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2020, 01:42:32 PM »
Sounds like the French have learned from their experience of a few years ago when they had too many Southern Hemisphere players building up their pensions in France.

Davidabricot

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2020, 02:18:36 PM »
This is astonishing to see how some of you perfectly know how JIFF works. Because in France this is still subject of debates. Actually you're right, the mandatory JIFF players number on matchday squad is increasing. Many good players were kicked off for being non JIFF (Spedding, Halfpenny, Mafi, etc.). This system leads to a huge increase of JIFF players salary. So, there is absolutely no advantage for a French club to look after non-JIFF players. Some clubs just want superstars for marketing reasons. But Thibaud can't fill this criteria. A star in France is a player from the South / UK / Ireland.

Moreover, I'm not sure this is a good idea for him to play in France. He is in shape here, with a less harmful competition. The top14 is to 'boom boom', too long, too locked in its philosophy. And Thibaud didn't live in France. Many have a romantic view of France, particularly the South and Toulouse. But Toulouse is creepy, dirty, awful, this is a really nasty place.

But Toulouse will almost do anything to make him sign. Especially since the events of this weekend. Chalureau (another back row) attacked 2 men in Toulouse. He will be fired, thus increasing Toulouse's need for a new back row.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2020, 09:58:08 PM »
One factor may very well be that Toulouse have offered him a very decent wage. He's in an odd position at Wasps. He'll obviously not be on much at the minute and as promising as he is I don't think I'd throw lots of cash at him. Strange move by him and Toulouse I think.

Davidabricot

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2020, 10:32:45 PM »
One thing is sure, the cost of life in Toulouse is far higher than in Coventry, and the lifestyle is far different. The ambiance in Toulouse is not so friendly with a lot of competition, and the top14 is very harmful. I can understand that young players are dremaing about Toulouse, on of the best team which has ever existed... but this was the past, and I'm not sure this is the best move to boost a career. Just thinking about the huge traffic jam to join the training ground, I'm sick.

However he is the only French player in both Premiership and championship... so we should understand that top14 is better for French players in the end?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2020, 08:23:02 AM »
According to TRP both Lyon and La Rochelle have offered him terms.

Also EAs looking for transfer fees for leavers - eg Loz will cost £100k before they enter into discussions.
Let me tell you something cucumber

MarleyWasp

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2020, 08:33:31 AM »
Can't see many clubs willing to pay transfer fees. Saracens continue to run their admin from Cloud Cuckoo Land.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2020, 09:12:45 AM »
I'd get players who are still in contract requiring transfer fees, but players out of contract are surely free transfer fees?

Loz is out of contract by end of season, how can they possibly ask for transfer fees?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2020, 09:20:29 AM »
Did he not re-sign sometime last year?
Let me tell you something cucumber

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2020, 09:37:43 AM »
Nope, Loz hasn't re-signed anything. He's still out of contract at the end of the year.

See first paragraph in: https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/domestic-club-rugby-union/34962/bath-ready-to-offer-saracens-centre-alex-lozowski-a-new-challenge/

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2020, 09:10:49 AM »
I'd get players who are still in contract requiring transfer fees, but players out of contract are surely free transfer fees?

Loz is out of contract by end of season, how can they possibly ask for transfer fees?

I think the Bosman Law would apply to rugby so anyone at the end of the contract is free to leave without the club being able to "sell" them and I'm pretty sure there is an internal PRL rule (following the May/Slater transaction) that doesn't allow transfer fees as well