Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Dai chopped??  (Read 29858 times)

Sting

Dai chopped??
« on: February 11, 2020, 11:11:57 AM »
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/live-wasps-boss-dai-young-17726902

*title amended as it is so unclear what has happened as no official wasps communication
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 01:30:11 PM by Sting »

DanJester

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Dai chopped!!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 11:16:27 AM »
It's possible that this is a move to a more managerial role for the future, a partial leave of absence (medical or otherwise), or the precursor to him moving on fomr the club.

If it's the latter, than I don't think I'd be too surprised; something needs to change, and with the safety net preventing relegation for us this season, it would makes some sense to act now and get as much time as possible to assess suitability of current coaches to step up, or scout out someone from outside the club.

My query is who can we get to replace him? #ReturnOfGatland  ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 11:29:19 AM by DanJester »

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 11:18:27 AM »
Comment from Bobby Bridge re yesterday's media session

"Yesterday was a bizarre one at Wasps’ weekly media session. Well I say weekly, it was the first one in three weeks due to the gap in the Premiership calendar. While it’s not unusual to have someone other than Dai Young up to speak in the build up to a game, I’ve never known a late change to the schedule as defence coach Ian Costello was thrust into the role - an hour after the scheduled start time.

The reason we were told was because Young was in a meeting with Chief Executive (sport) Stephen Vaughan. I’d seen Dai Young on my way into the building that houses Wasps’ media facilities and shook hands before we went our separate ways to get out of the heavy rain. Shortly before we were told Young wouldn’t be up and Costello was replacing him, Vaughan briefly entered the press room, shook a few hands before leaving.

Only myself and Clive Eakin from BBC CWR were in attendance - which has often been the case this season with Wasps conducting their media sessions mainly on a Monday when many members of the national press take a day off following their weekend exertions. After Costello finished his questions, I had a look to see if I could locate Dai Young’s car, which is normally parked right outside the building and has a distinctive personalised number plate.

It wasn’t there, but with hundreds of cars onsite, it could’ve been parked parked elsewhere. But I’ve never known the boss’ car not be there for a media day he is up for. Given the match that Wasps have this weekend, a trip to local rivals Leicester Tigers, it was massively surprising to not have the main man facing the questions, especially with a change at such short notice."
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 11:22:25 AM by Tervueren »

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 11:19:34 AM »
Sounds a bit too sudden for a planned stepping back to bring in a head coach to work with him

FishingWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 11:21:35 AM »
Report does NOT say chopped. It states an "interim period".
Could be that Dai has personal matters, medical predicament etc that are diverting his lifestyle for the time being.

I'm not jumping to conclusions until we know better.

Good luck Dai, whatever.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 11:22:08 AM »
+1

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 11:23:24 AM »
Makes you wonder they have someone (big) lined up to join the coaching team, who wanted Dai moved gently aside. The statement is somewhat short and terse. Might mean he is going, but (I hope), it might mean he is taking a more managerial role, which seems to be the way other clubs are going.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 11:26:41 AM »
Makes you wonder they have someone (big) lined up to join the coaching team, who wanted Dai moved gently aside. The statement is somewhat short and terse. Might mean he is going, but (I hope), it might mean he is taking a more managerial role, which seems to be the way other clubs are going.

Matches my first thought. Such a move would suggest a plan in place. I guess we'll see shortly.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 11:34:38 AM »
Interesting that this has not appeared on any Wasps media outlet. Not the offy, Twitter, FB etc.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 11:36:58 AM »
Report does NOT say chopped. It states an "interim period".
Could be that Dai has personal matters, medical predicament etc that are diverting his lifestyle for the time being.

I'm not jumping to conclusions until we know better.

Good luck Dai, whatever.

This.

Also have noticed at some matches (Bordeaux and Agen in particular) he is not moving well at the moment with a very distinct limp. one match he didn't seem to come down at half time then limped down at the end - given his career and bulk I wouldn't be surprised if some form of knee op is required. Whatever he has been (and may continue to be) a good servant of Wasps and should have our thanks.
Let me tell you something cucumber

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 11:38:28 AM »
Not sure what to make of that.

"Chopped" seems a bit of an overstatement at this stage.  Stepping down for an "interim period" may be just that for any number of personal reasons, or it could be that a more permanent arrangement will follow, be that a move "upstairs" or something more terminal depending on negotiations over the coming days.  All speculation at the moment though, beyond the fact that he's taking a short term step back.

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 11:42:21 AM »
as others have said, strange timing.  Wishing Dai well whatever the challenge.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 11:52:12 AM »
Something decidedly odd is going on.

If he has been removed, it makes no sense to do it now on the back of more positive results and with there being no threat of relegation this season.

Wait out for further info I guess

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 12:00:36 PM »
Not sure I agree with the title of this thread, but will certainly get fast clicks!

I see it as a shuffle in the management structure, not a chopping. Many other clubs have done this in recent years so it's not a surprise. The question is why now....

* Because a world class coach has become available?
* Because the pressure of relegation has been removed, we have an opportunity to make changes will less risk? (as Dan has said previously)
* Dai has some personal matter (health or otherwise) which means he need to manage his time/commitment more?

Given the 3rd reason is a real possibility, we should be mindful of our comments on the matter. Hope all is well with Dai and I for one am glad he remains within the club.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2020, 12:01:06 PM »
Find it weird that Wasps Twitter and main site have no reference yet.
Let me tell you something cucumber