Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Dai chopped??  (Read 29890 times)

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
Re: Dai chopped!!
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2020, 12:01:43 PM »
For what it's worth, my initial thoughts were 'he's being removed'.  Then thinking about it things don't stack up.  If you were going to get rid of someone totally you would just announce it: If you were going to move someone upstairs you would get things in place and then just announce it. So, my thoughts are that this is something that, at least to begin with, is temporary but maybe not guaranteed not to become permanent.  So maybe a personal or medical issue or even a misconduct investigation (I feel that this one is unlikely)? Time will tell.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2020, 12:03:58 PM »
Medical problem? Sciatica more disabling and more likely to need urgent surgery than an arthritic joint. You have to think cardiac as well with Dai's size. Let's hope it is not too serious whatever the cause.

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2020, 12:07:50 PM »
BBC also reporting it as 'interim' so it must be a personal issue.

Hope all is well.

Good luck Lee!

(Thought Lee was mean't to be off to Cov wasn't he?)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 12:19:50 PM »
This phrase is a bit odd.

"has been relieved of first team duties on an interim basis."

The implication is that there is more to this than has been made public.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2020, 12:24:55 PM »
I thought the only statement so far (Coventry Telegraph) is "Director of Rugby Dai Young will be stepping back from first-team duties for an interim period. Lee Blackett will step up to Interim Head Coach. Further announcements will be made in due course." which talks about stepping back from rather than being relieved of.

*apologies, I missed the other bit of Bobby Bridges report so sit corrected.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 12:46:03 PM by Tervueren »

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2020, 12:25:37 PM »
Sky news now reporting Lee is acting Head Coach.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2020, 12:26:41 PM »
The suddenness of it suggests it wasn't planned, especially with the interim nature too.

Wonder what's going on.

Laterontoday

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2020, 12:29:21 PM »
This smacks of the Cov telegraph publishing a story before the Club have prepared and are ready to publish a formal statement.

Not exactly a professional way to manage Club Staff and senior staff at that by leaving the internet to speculate about the why's. 

If he has been forced to take gardening leave then say so, if its for personal reasons say that but leaving it open speculation is bad. Fans don't need to know every last detail but allowing speculation about why this has happened is just poor to Dai.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2020, 12:39:57 PM »
Update (slight) from Bobby Bridge:

Wasps director of rugby Dai Young is taking a step back from first team duties.

CoventryLive can exclusively reveal a senior management meeting was called at the Ricoh Arena this morning followed by the players being told shortly afterwards at the club's Broadstreet RFC training ground base.

We understand that Young, who has been at the club since 2011, has not been dismissed but has been relieved of first team duties on an interim basis.

Back coach Lee Blackett is likely to be in charge for Saturday's trip to Leicester Tigers.

Seems to me this is sudden and unexpected.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2020, 12:49:40 PM »
This smacks of the Cov telegraph publishing a story before the Club have prepared and are ready to publish a formal statement.

Not exactly a professional way to manage Club Staff and senior staff at that by leaving the internet to speculate about the why's. 

If he has been forced to take gardening leave then say so, if its for personal reasons say that but leaving it open speculation is bad. Fans don't need to know every last detail but allowing speculation about why this has happened is just poor to Dai.

CT are now showing "Dai Young's Wasps career in pictures", bit odd or OTT at present?

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2020, 12:51:34 PM »
I'm a bit sad because I have always liked Dai and "one of the nice guys" (although that is purely my own perception).
I hope that this is not the end of Dai's association with Wasps and this is something like I've heard previously with Dai moving upstairs (fulfilling his DOR role) and leaving the coaching to a new Head Coach.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2020, 12:52:20 PM »
Relieved?

That is either a very poor choice of verb, or it means he wasn't inclined to consent to this change. It suggests it was imposed by the owner rather than requested by Dai. Otherwise, it would have read something more neutral.

Dai Young is taking a step back ... not Dai has decided (for xxx reasons) to focus on management to to hand over first team duties to ....

The whole tone comes over as non-consensual on Dai's part.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2020, 12:55:54 PM »
Very odd given the way its been announced.

must be either ill health (but even then you would expect it to be announced & managed better, unless its very sudden) or something disciplinary.

time will tell.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2020, 12:56:50 PM »
Still not on Wasps media. Very strange almost inept.
Let me tell you something cucumber

DanJester

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2020, 01:00:30 PM »
Relieved?

That is either a very poor choice of verb, or it means he wasn't inclined to consent to this change. It suggests it was imposed by the owner rather than requested by Dai. Otherwise, it would have read something more neutral.

Dai Young is taking a step back ... not Dai has decided (for xxx reasons) to focus on management to to hand over first team duties to ....

The whole tone comes over as non-consensual on Dai's part.

This struck me as odd, too. Supposedly he had a meeting at the Ricoh yesterday, prior to the weekly press conf, but then didn't attend the press conf. Wonder if an idea about his position, and changes to it, was put to him and he wasn't happy, so this forced the club's hand?