Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Adopt A Tiger Ad  (Read 5194 times)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Adopt A Tiger Ad
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2020, 08:44:53 AM »
Another challenge arising from the situation will be the impact on the national team who are very dependent on Tigers, however that may signal selection rule changes or EJ having to rethink his approach.

Not sure it'd be that disastrous from an England point of view compared with just 6 months ago even:

Cole:  Finished for England since WC final
B Youngs:  Been on borrowed time for Eng for a while
May:  Gone to Glaws

Just leaves Ford, Genge and Manu.  Admittedly, if all 3 head abroad then that's a big blow, but I'd wager at least 2 of those 3 will stay in England, and in Manu's case, England are well used to managing without him due to his persistent injuries.  Maybe Genge back to Bris?  Ford likely to stay where his Dad is.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 09:30:52 AM »
I don't know how accurate this is but we are one of the clubs with the least in/out transfers.

List of 2020–21 Premiership Rugby transfers

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2020%E2%80%9321_Premiership_Rugby_transfers

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 10:05:33 AM »
They could use the Brad Shields loophole. EJ "was allowed" to pick Brad as soon as Brad had signed a contract to play for an English based club.

So, e.g. Genge could sign for a French club on a 1 year or 2 year contract and arrange a contract with an English club once the French one has expired...

It's stretching it a bit but all these "rules" are there to be bent depending on what's convenient at the time.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2020, 10:05:48 AM »
I don't know how accurate this is but we are one of the clubs with the least in/out transfers.

List of 2020–21 Premiership Rugby transfers

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2020%E2%80%9321_Premiership_Rugby_transfers

Not a surprise
Let me tell you something cucumber

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2020, 12:27:06 PM »
They could use the Brad Shields loophole. EJ "was allowed" to pick Brad as soon as Brad had signed a contract to play for an English based club.

So, e.g. Genge could sign for a French club on a 1 year or 2 year contract and arrange a contract with an English club once the French one has expired...

It's stretching it a bit but all these "rules" are there to be bent depending on what's convenient at the time.

I think the reasoning behind Shields being selected for the tour (and I think Piers Francis before him) was that EJ would then have access to the players outside of the international window when the season started through the RFU/PRL deal, so I can't see somone promising to be back at an EPL club in 2 seasons time would apply.

That being said.. is it time the RFU/PRL deal was scrapped?

Has RFU access to English EPL players outside of international windows actually improved matters.

There will be a few clubs that dread their employees heading off to England training camps

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2020, 01:12:46 PM »
is it time the RFU/PRL deal was scrapped?

I don't think that's in anyone's interest.
England get access & a level of control over players (rest periods etc) that other countries don't have.
PRL has protection for their clubs from losing star England players to richer over seas clubs.

Its always been a symbiotic agreement.

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2020, 08:10:38 PM »
Flicking through Twitter and the links this morning, it seems that there is a showdown meeting today. Fissler reporting that players will be sacked if they refuse to accept their revised contracts and pay.

I'm not sure what leverage Tigers have. What are the grounds for sacking the players? If the contracts are halfway decent Tigers will have to buy them out which will be counted against their salary cap spend so they lose players and pay them and have no room in the cap to recruit replacements!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2020, 11:01:13 PM »
Flicking through Twitter and the links this morning, it seems that there is a showdown meeting today. Fissler reporting that players will be sacked if they refuse to accept their revised contracts and pay.

I'm not sure what leverage Tigers have. What are the grounds for sacking the players? If the contracts are halfway decent Tigers will have to buy them out which will be counted against their salary cap spend so they lose players and pay them and have no room in the cap to recruit replacements!

I agree that if the payers insist on Tigers fulfilling the contracts as written they will have the law on their side, but i also think they could bankrupt the club.

For a long time people have sneered at Wasps for investing in a range of non-rugby business arms causing our books to show some serious losses. But right now those other parts if the business are what are keeping us safe and in a better place than most.

Turns out Derek knows a thing or two...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2020, 06:46:22 AM »
There has always been a suspicion that the players at Leic have too much power and have always had the ear of their  main benefactor, Peter Toms.

If certain players, who have valid contracts, don't want to sign new deals then Tigers can't simply sack them withut paying the consequences. Could they be made redundant though?

Adding to Tigers woes is that the 2 main shareholders, Scott and Toms want to sell which implies neither will be wanting to dip into their own finances going forward.

I bet both are now wishing they had accepted offers (if they received any) that came their way before the lockdown.

I wonder how their supporters/STH's are viewing all this as well.. many of whom may have been made redundant or have accepted wage cuts

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2020, 09:26:00 AM »
According to today's Telegraph,  it is thought that Manu Tuilagi, Greg Bateman, Kyle Eastmond, Noel Reid, Jordan Taufua and Telusa Veainu all missed Leicester's deadline yesterday.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2020, 09:51:22 AM »
I am very grateful to Wasps' players and management for getting this all sorted swiftly and seemingly amicably.  The unusual raft of contract extensions a while ago looked like very good business at the time.  Even more so now as we see other clubs struggling to get players to accept the economic realities their employers are faced with.  Says a lot for the environment at Wasps over certain other clubs.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2020, 09:51:36 AM »
Apart from sicknote I doubt the players that haven't agreed won't be missed

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2020, 10:36:20 AM »
Tigers are noisy on Twitter about new faces but stony silence on what happened overnight. I expect they have their hands full with legal issues, and the obligatory carefully worded statements.

The signings stories appear an attempt at trying to take the eye away from what has happened.

Good to see Wasps in such excellent shape, as Tigers, Irish and Gloucester seem to be all over the place.
It was fine when I left it.....

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2020, 01:00:43 PM »
Leicester Tigers have this morning issued the following update on club activities:

The Club’s commercial activities have felt the pandemic’s impact more than most Premiership Rugby clubs, given the size of its stadium and fan base. To date, the Club has missed out on approximately £5.0 million of revenues since it was last able to host matchdays or events at Welford Road.

The Board recognises and is grateful for the significant sacrifices made across the Club’s community to ensure a sustainable long-term financial footing for Tigers. Fans have kept season ticket money in the Club and sponsors have continued to be supportive.

Difficult decisions have had to be made, including salary reductions, reduced working time and using the furlough scheme as well as a redundancy process which concludes today and could potentially lead to the departure of up to 31 members of staff. In addition, a small number of players will leave Tigers to seek new opportunities elsewhere. We wish them well for the future.

The players were asked to accept reduced wages and, following feedback, we created a mechanism through which a proportion of forgone earnings could be reclaimed when the Club returns to profitability. At the same time, salaries of lower-paid players beginning their professional careers were protected. In common with other Club employees, these changes resulted from detailed explanations of the Club’s financial position and the necessity of the measures being taken.

Our focus throughout this crisis has been to put the Club first and to ensure the long-term sustainability and competitiveness of Tigers. The vast majority of players fully support our recovery plans and will be working with Geordan Murphy and Steve Borthwick on the way forward, beginning with the phased return to training and proposed resumption of the 2019/20 season.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2020, 02:31:20 PM »
Now it appears they are playing in black next season, strange days....

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/samurai-launches-iconix-220s-shirt

If this is the case then it is a major deviation from the norm?
It was fine when I left it.....