Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Did our lack of last minute contract re-signings mean  (Read 2157 times)

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Did our lack of last minute contract re-signings mean
« on: July 01, 2020, 08:08:50 PM »
... that we were already comfortably under the salary cap, hence needed to do less adjusting?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Did our lack of last minute contract re-signings mean
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 08:10:30 PM »
... that we were already comfortably under the salary cap, hence needed to do less adjusting?

I think Ash and Nemo leaving has probably done the trick for now. Plus all the remaining players agreed a cut, unlike other clubs...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 08:33:17 PM »
We look like paragons of stability don't we. My reading of it was that we were a little bit under last year. We've thrown a bit more the way of Willis and Umaga I'd imagine but probably comfortably mitigated by the loss of Carr, Johnson, Matthews and Searle.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 09:42:09 PM »
I think we shouldnt underestimate the effect of the club's proactive communication with the players from the very start.

If they fully understand the situation the club (and all other clubs) are in then they're much more likely to be happy with the offers on the table.

It is those players who don't see the bigger picture and are convinced of their own superiority that will be causing issues.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 10:27:56 PM »
I think we shouldn't underestimate the effect of the club's proactive communication with the players from the very start.

If they fully understand the situation the club (and all other clubs) are in then they're much more likely to be happy with the offers on the table.

It is those players who don't see the bigger picture and are convinced of their own superiority that will be causing issues.

Agreed.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 05:20:16 PM »
I think we shouldnt underestimate the effect of the club's proactive communication with the players from the very start.

I don't disagree but on top of that having won 5/6 of the last Premiership matches, mostly in traditionally Wasps style, will have put the players in a positive frame of mind with a very high team moral. Who wouldn't want to stay, unless they had real opportunities elsewhere eg increased likelihood of international honours? A voluntary pay cut looks OK if you have a promise of more success, titles and win bonuses.

Contrast that with Tigers and Glaws who were falling apart at the seams when the Premiership came to an abrupt halt. Its easy to picture  teams that was constantly bickering and at each other's throats. Again, easy to see that you'd be happy to move anywhere for a better opportunity and less likely to want to take a voluntary pay cut when you can't see where you next win is coming from.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 07:45:11 PM »
Absolutely correct - 'esprit de corps'.

I have spent the last 18 years working in a leaking 1942 Nissan hut, but our hospital is still the epicentre of Orthopaedics for the UK and probably Europe. All the surgeons are working in a place that pioneered nerve injury surgery, bone tumour surgery, scoliosis surgery, shoulder replacement surgery. My mate and colleague designed the most popular current scoliosis correction equipment in Europe/USA, and myself and a colleague designed the implants that fixed Tiger W. This has echoes of Wasps in the 90's. You are standing on the shoulders of the heroes that went before.