Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Hoskins Sotutu: Could Super Rugby sensation really play for England?  (Read 1874 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
I am getting seriously p*ssed off with Eddie Jones taking advantage of the rules searching for other nationalities who can turn out for England. I know we benefited with Brad, though he had both parents being English, but I was actually uncomfortable with it at the time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53267375

Personally I believe, as he has been born and bred in NZ, then he should be available for the ABs first and Fiji and England second.  Presumably he has a New Zealand passport.

I do think the rules for eligibility need to be changed in a big way. It's not as if we are short of eights.

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Hoskins Sotutu: Could Super Rugby sensation really play for England?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 02:32:56 PM »
And yet the RFU tell players that if they want an England career, they have to stay in the premiership.
Is there any point when you have imports coming into the England set up?

Edit: by players, I mean EQP.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 02:33:09 PM »
He'd be a fool.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 02:54:32 PM »
I am getting seriously p*ssed off with Eddie Jones taking advantage of the rules searching for other nationalities who can turn out for England. I know we benefited with Brad, though he had both parents being English, but I was actually uncomfortable with it at the time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53267375

Personally I believe, as he has been born and bred in NZ, then he should be available for the ABs first and Fiji and England second.  Presumably he has a New Zealand passport.

I do think the rules for eligibility need to be changed in a big way. It's not as if we are short of eights.

Born and bred? His dad is Fijian, his mum is English.

We have no idea as to where he thinks his loyalties lie, and they could easily lie in multiple countries.

I'm a born and bred Englishman, but I'd have been pretty damn happy to represent Israel having lived there for a decade. I'm sure my son would be happy to represent either too.

I do wonder about Grandparents as a way to qualify, but parents should absolutely qualify you, with no questions asked.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 03:15:42 PM »
seeing as he is already qualified for England, assuming he could sign for a prem club, why shouldn't EJ take a look at him?

He's not an "import" nor "another nationality".

Don't disagree that the rules need improving, but I haven't seen any suggested solutions which would change anything.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 04:11:16 PM »
Could he? Yes
Will he? No

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 10:18:58 PM »
Hope he stays where he is, he no doubt grew up wanting to be an All Black after coming up through the youth ranks there. Shields was similar but just couldn’t quite make it to the ABs so switched allegiance. Imagine he’ll move straight back to NZ when England stop calling and theEuropean money runs out.
Sotutu has had an excellent couple of breakthrough games but is still a long way away. Ardie Savea took many years to become a regular in the ABs squad and Akira Ioane who was equally destructive when he came on the scene can’t even get a look in with the ABs. Sotutu might be wise to stay at 8 where there is an opening but is tipped to switch to 6 eventually where he’ll have a lot of competition ahead of him.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 10:24:17 PM by JonnyD »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 12:18:49 PM »
Let's not forget though that the AB's and Australia are no paragons of virtue in this with their systematic recruitment of Pacific Islanders. Every nation does it. It's either got to be stamped out altogether or left as it is for all to exploit.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 08:01:30 PM »
You can't stop Pacific Islanders moving to NZ and Aus though to get a better job or education. So then their children have to make a choice. There are always going to be those of Pacific Island heritage playing for those countries.

One thing I do agree should be stamped out are ridiculous institutions like the French Academies on the Pacific Islands.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 12:41:17 PM »
I also like the idea of players being able to have a one-time only option to move from a Tier 1 nation they qualify for to a Tier 2 nation.

You can't blame people for putting their families first financially and picking to play for a Tier 1 nation.  I think becoming a Parent has a profound effect on the way you look at things and it's no surprise that as some of these guys become more settled, more financially secure and their priorities shift into Parenthood that their heritage and willingness to represent their 'family' nation becomes stronger.

Would love to see the likes of Piutau play for Tonga etc...