Always a Wasp

Author Topic: "I think the growth potential in Wasps is massive" - Ugo Monye  (Read 2360 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: "I think the growth potential in Wasps is massive" - Ugo Monye
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 11:54:29 AM »
Nice comments
Let me tell you something cucumber

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 01:09:44 PM »
Flattering comments but 6 or 7 games ago we were carpet beaters.

Ridiculous.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 01:43:50 PM »
I'll be first to admit I feared the worst when our 'big names' and 'star players' departed.... thinking we were lacking on calibre as a squad. However, I have been proven wrong as I think the way the club has reset and is re-building in the right way will much better serve the club in the ling term.

It's easier to say this off the back of 4 bonus point wins on the bounce! But I genuinely think we're building in a sustainable way. If we have to take mid table finishes for the next couple of seasons to have another core of players to drive the club forward like we did with our last big crop of academy players, then more than happy with that as will position us to challenge consistently.

I do wonder if Bristol will suffer what we have done the past two seasons after a few seasons with Galacticos?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 02:01:03 PM »
... If we have to take mid table finishes for the next couple of seasons to have another core of players to drive the club forward like we did with our last big crop of academy players, then more than happy with that as will position us to challenge consistently...

A long shot maybe ... could we beat Worcester at home with a TBP win on Friday? Yes.

Could Exeter win away at Sale? You bet they could.

Could Gloucester beat Bristol at home. Yes.

If all those three happened ... we would be 2nd.

Not such a big IF either.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 02:14:50 PM »
For me we've been building through a series of well thought out and completely deliberate phases since the Coventry move. We've been through the big name to catch the imagination phase and are now moving to sustainable via our academy. It's proven to work better than the models currently being employed at Sale and Bristol (and I am discounting Saracens who operated another model altogether). I believe our next challenge will be how we cope with the inevitable outcomes of our success. By that I'm sure Willis, Shields, Launchbury, Robson, Umaga, Taylor, Minozzi and Zhvania will all be involved internationally in the near future.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 02:29:38 PM »
By that I'm sure Willis, Shields, Launchbury, Robson, Umaga, Taylor, Minozzi and Zhvania will all be involved internationally in the near future.
Of those i see only Minozzi being guaranteed internationally. Shields and Robson boats have passed, Launch seems to be fringe now, so maybe depends on injuries and the more the press big up Willis the more likely EJ will ignore him being the narcissist he is. Umaga is def behind Smith, and rightly so. Taylor isn't anywhere near the reckoning.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 02:52:26 PM »
I'm going to be honest.... I was completely in the wrong at the start of this season. I cannot believe the progress the squad made Through out the whole season it's unbelievable. It's a combination of Dai establishing the roots through recruitment and development, then Blackett continuing the success with what seems like more freedom.

It's made me appreciate teams like Exeter who started from nothing and improved through understanding how to improve what they've already got.

I'll be happy with top 6 this season, which compared to the squad we had last season I'd argue is an astonishing result.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 03:00:18 PM »
We have 8 more games and I believe 5 of them are at home [which may be a double edged sword].

24+ points from that is a not unreasonable ask, and that would get 4th spot most seasons.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 03:56:49 PM »
We were minutes from the Prem title three years ago (2016/17)- the core of that team (Josh, Jimmy, Dan, Thomas, Joe L and Tommy) were starters this weekend. We lost to the cheats in the semi the year after with much the same squad. It was a help that Wade scored 30 tries those two seasons....which would help rather! It was much the same squad that lost its way in 2018/19. We still were fielding Daly and Hughes etc and Lima for Danny. So it probably wasn't a lower squad strength for me and we'd got Shields too.

Going into 2019/20 we'd lost 12 players including Le roux, Simpson, Daly and Hughes - which any team would miss, but we'd not been going well, with them, the previous season.

So the form shown in the last game and the ones pre lock down, will have no one reason, but its likely to be a combination of factors. All coaching arrangements come to an end, many players need a new challenge and player grow up and mature (like Jacob) and some get fit again (like Jimmy) and a new coach can bring a new perspective. Certainly the senior/experienced players on Sunday were being leaders on the pitch and there was a bit of a smile on people's faces too.

Looking forwards - we can improve. We've got the firepower in the back three, we've recruited well e.g. Mills as Jimmy is ancient...we've got a squad so can rotate if injuries don't intervene. Zach is great - and really scares people, like Wade used to, and I agree with Ugo in
More than anything, they look like they're really enjoying what they're doing and it shows through their attack

I think its probably best to enjoy the rugby and we'll see more next season, but yes, room for improvement - and that will be fun

(I've doubtless forgotten people and got timings wrong - the general point remains that after a poor season and a half, we've made some rapid progress coinciding with new management, and with some, player changes, but many of those who left were great players and were in the squad when we were playing a bit "flat" so its down to a number of factors)