Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 12687 times)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2020, 07:55:51 PM »
I wouldn’t come down hard on Jacob just yet.
He’s won us more games than he’s lost em.

It’s also a very different challenge playing in front of the England manager who has put faith in you already.
He tried too hard to impact the game in the way he would in dry conditions.

That’s a learning lesson.
He’ll come back stronger.

But having Eddie in the stands will have undoubtedly changed his mindset a bit.
Eddie has been at all Wasps games so lets not look for excuses, he had a bad day, as did the team collectively
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 07:58:24 PM by Hymenoptera »

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2020, 07:58:31 PM »
CMK was being told in his earpiece as the missed conversion was sailing by, that Sale had committed two no arms tackles in the previous period of play.

What’s the correct protocol there?
What should a referee do with that knowledge?

Penalty and yellow, if in play. Is that a penalty restart and yellow?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2020, 08:02:13 PM »
Question - is it my imagination but are the much lauded changes in the rules being dissipated each round. The referees seem to be reverting to previous actions.
Also I thought there was an instruction to refs that scrums shouldn't be used to gain penalties.

They were - afaik - told to enforce the Laws as stated....but given that the tackle and ruck Laws aren't v difficult to follow - it does appear that refs are making it up as they go along

Today - it was a ruck and CMK allowed hands from the defenders (Sale) to win the ball, as they "were on their feet" That doesn't matter as in a ruck, its no hands at all. Unless you were first to breakdown and got hand clearly on ball (i.e. before it's ruck)

Worth going onto World Rugby and reading the Laws on the tackle and breakdown...it might be a surprise :-)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2020, 08:10:10 PM »
I'm constantly amazed that such a simple rule as no hands in is so difficult to understand? Really frustrating. Someone said it earlier but Sale were just more streetwise. Also - can we just say at the start of each game "sorry if you hear any language" rather than saying it fifty times a game. Most of us effed and jeffed our way through that anyway.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2020, 08:13:30 PM »
I'm constantly amazed that such a simple rule as no hands in is so difficult to understand? Really frustrating. Someone said it earlier but Sale were just more streetwise. Also - can we just say at the start of each game "sorry if you hear any language" rather than saying it fifty times a game. Most of us effed and jeffed our way through that anyway.

So difficult to understand, or ref. Clearly if not first at ruck, you can't pick it up...seems too much to too many.....

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2020, 08:19:45 PM »
Can have a moan about that bl***y caterpillar. The 9 stood at the side and rolled it back 2 or 3 players before picking up. How can it be inside a ruck when the 9's getting his boot in from the side at its only one player wide for 3 players deep?

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2020, 08:20:26 PM »
This is no surprise really.
It's wasps every season.

A number of wins that make you think we've turned a corner, followed by a performance where we would struggle to beat a local club side.

It's not a new thing. Often happens on a rainy Friday night at sale or Newcastle... Or against pertemps bees.

I now take it as being part of our DNA, part of our style, part of being a wasps fan. Sometimes things don't click and when they don't we're in for a hiding

MarleyWasp

« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2020, 08:30:48 PM »
CMK was being told in his earpiece as the missed conversion was sailing by, that Sale had committed two no arms tackles in the previous period of play.

What’s the correct protocol there?
What should a referee do with that knowledge?

Can't be a penalty as we obtained advantage by play continuing by scoring a try. However the ref can review them and dish out a yellow card or two...

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2020, 08:34:11 PM »
It's wasps every season.

A number of wins that make you think we've turned a corner, followed by a performance where we would struggle to beat a local club side.

It's not a new thing. Often happens on a rainy Friday night at sale or Newcastle... Or against pertemps bees.

I now take it as being part of our DNA, part of our style, part of being a wasps fan. Sometimes things don't click and when they don't we're in for a hiding

I can't agree with that: Sale are not Pertemps Bees and they are challenging for the premiership this season.
Games like this, in these conditions, are often determined by the early exchanges and the early ref decisions. We came off worst in both areas, and didn't have enough, to fight back.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2020, 08:41:07 PM »
Yes, agree backdoc - just one of those nights against a streetwise team who had conditions to suit. But we're still well in the hunt, are vastly improved and thankfully we don't have to play Sale every week!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2020, 08:56:31 PM »
When it's dry, the wind isn't storm force, and they have their tales up then our squad of young inexperienced flair players can put anyone to the sword.

When it's wet, windy, and we're playing against a team as streetwise as any with a point to prove we 're always going to come up short.

I didn't enjoy that a bit, I thought CMK had one of his worst games (and that's saying something for him) but we we worse and didn't deserve to win.

All that being said I'm going to treasure the memory of Launch swimming through a rolling maul and ripping the ball without a moment's hesitation for a long long time.  That was genuinely a thing of beauty, even if the ref buggered up the call when he was brought down afterwards.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2020, 08:57:03 PM »
Watching the Bristol match and there are three referees officiating - Barnes, Dickson and Foley. We get CMK.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2020, 09:00:45 PM »
It's wasps every season.

I can't agree with that: Sale are not Pertemps Bees and they are challenging for the premiership this season.
Games like this, in these conditions, are often determined by the early exchanges and the early ref decisions. We came off worst in both areas, and didn't have enough, to fight back.

backdoc, will your winnings buy you a decent bottle of Bordeaux?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2020, 09:01:24 PM »
I'd have taken any of those three! The yellow card scenario with Ross bordered on comedy.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2020, 09:08:17 PM »
Lee sums it up well.

https://twitter.com/WaspsRugby