Always a Wasp

Author Topic: New season delayed until Jan 2021?  (Read 1708 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
New season delayed until Jan 2021?
« on: September 26, 2020, 10:49:40 PM »

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: New season delayed until Jan 2021?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 11:27:02 PM »
My initial reaction was “Nooo!” but I completely understand the rationale behind it. In the last couple of days you’ve had Sale, Tigers, Glaws, Worcester & Wasps all come out with statements on the dire impact the ongoing situation is having on their respective clubs. The position of Nigel Huddleston was anything but reassuring.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 03:38:40 AM »
Premiership fixtures for 2020/21 are due to be announced on Tuesday at 11am.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 10:37:37 AM »
Does the timing of the start of the season effect things?

Players will still have to be paid this autumn and winter regardless of whether the seasons starts within a month or 4 months.

The only way clubs can survive is to stop paying players their current contracts and I can't see the players accepting another massive pay cut and the club can't force that upon the players. With no income what could the clubs afford.. £20k P/A pro rata for each squad member until the season starts in Jan/Feb/March.

Can clubs put themselves into voluntary liquidation (presuming that all of them will be run under Limited Company status) start up new "phoenix" companies and then re-hire the players on temporary nominal contracts (I'm playing devils advocate).

The other thing to consider is BT. Apparently they were compliant by still paying staged payments to PRL whilst there was no rugby to televise.

I can't see them taking the same view if they are faced with another 4 month barren period and personally, I'd take the same view with our contract with BT

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 08:02:50 PM »
Does the timing of the start of the season effect things?

In as much as every game played in an empty stadium is a further loss. Hold off till January and there is more potential to get us back through the turnstiles earlier in the season.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 09:54:40 AM »
The weekly/monthly loss is still acruing regardless of whether the new season starts as planned or in 3 months time because players are being payed irrespective of whether any games are being played now or from a delayed start.

If crowds are allowed back into stadia in Jan/Feb and the season has been delayed to start at the ppoint, then I can see the argument, as that will mean more games with turnstile revenue.. in the meantime.. the club has had to fork out Oct/NovDec/Jan full squad wages.

Can most clubs manage that? Will some clubs even be in business to take part in a Jan/Feb season start?

The other possible outcome from delaying the start is BT not coughing up their 20/21 TV money until the season starts.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 10:42:23 AM »
Will Kelleher (Daily Mail) has reported the first game of the season will be Sale v Saints on Friday 20th November.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 11:03:06 AM »
Will Kelleher (Daily Mail) has reported the first game of the season will be Sale v Saints on Friday 20th November.

Lets hope he is right
Let me tell you something cucumber