Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Premiership Rugby statement  (Read 23996 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Premiership Rugby statement
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2020, 08:01:35 PM »
I think in a world where supporters aren't even allowed into a stadium despite the ability to clearly and easily distance, the fact that a team where 16 people have tested positive will be allowed to play is hypocrisy of the highest order.

Just like Cummins, Corbyn and others it is one rule for the populace, and a different one for the decision makers.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

MarleyWasp

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2020, 08:11:13 PM »
Telegraph now reporting that the Sale squad went out drinking until the early hours after the Premiership Cup final. The article is behind the paywall though so I can only see the headlines.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2020, 08:15:04 PM »
Telegraph now reporting that the Sale squad went out drinking until the early hours after the Premiership Cup final. The article is behind the paywall though so I can only see the headlines.

This confirms what was rumoured on twatter yesterday. Also rumoured is that they knew they had some infection before their last match but hid the fact.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2020, 08:23:51 PM »

This confirms what was rumoured on twatter yesterday. Also rumoured is that they knew they had some infection before their last match but hid the fact.

If "they" means the club management and it turns out to be true they should be joining Sarries in the drop.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2020, 08:25:16 PM »

If true this becomes far more than just a rugby issue...

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2020, 08:44:26 PM »
I know this might sound strange, but I am more annoyed by this than I was when I found out about Saracens cheating th e salary cap.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2020, 08:54:38 PM »
I know this might sound strange, but I am more annoyed by this than I was when I found out about Saracens cheating th e salary cap.

That's because everyone knew Saracens were cheating for a long long time...

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2020, 09:13:32 PM »
This won't end here. Someone is going to finish outside the top 4. I'm thinking Sale only need to have 9 or 10 established players to beat a Wuss team with nought to play for. So it's going to be us, Bath or Bristol. Whoever it is ought to play merry hell. After all, if rules can be bent over once what's to stop them being bent again. Which is exactly the problem the authorities have now created.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2020, 09:17:09 PM »
This won't end here. Someone is going to finish outside the top 4. I'm thinking Sale only need to have 9 or 10 established players to beat a Wuss team with nought to play for. So it's going to be us, Bath or Bristol. Whoever it is ought to play merry hell. After all, if rules can be bent over once what's to stop them being bent again. Which is exactly the problem the authorities have now created.

If Wuss and Sale draw, then they may not be any comlaints if Sale still come 5th. Other than that, I can see arguments coming from everywhere.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2020, 09:19:56 PM »
As I understood it Sale claimed they were in a position to play tomorrow.

They should, therefore, name their team tomorrow, and stick to it in that case, and none of the team who played last week should be allowed to play next Wednesday.

In my view it should be taken out of PRL's hands (as they seem unwilling to make a decision). To have that many numbers within a very small working environment would normally flag up major questions.

I don't have children but what's the average size of a primary school.. ? Would it be 3 times bigger (staff and pupils) than a prem rugby club?

What if a primary school went down with 50 cases.. children and staff (players and coaches). Wouldn't someone be asking questions as to how.. why.. then start tracking back.. who's been where.. have some of the pupils been (players) been outside of bubbles that they shouldn't have been in.

It has happend in other sports.. Sergio Perez missed 2 F1 GP races.. Jorge Martin in Moto 2 GP.. but to have half your squad.. did they all go to vegas for a week-end or something? Maybe there was a big BBQ in Joberg? Perhaps they all took a guided tour of the Manchester ship canal curious about the industrial heritage?

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2020, 09:29:17 PM »
The story in the Telegraph is about the fact that they had 'a couple of beers' at their Carrington training ground after the final. Not quite as sensational as the headline implies.

Whether they knew of any cases however if another matter.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2020, 09:36:31 PM »
Sale is  dragging rugby union into disrepute.  Their 'Management' is on an equal with Sarries.  It just gets worse. How many people have they put at risk? 

hopwood

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2020, 09:43:53 PM »
Telegraph

Sale Sharks players went drinking into the early hours after winning the Premiership Cup Final, just 10 days before the the club returned 16 positive tests that has thrown the Premiership finale into chaos.

Premiership Rugby is facing a furious backlash after postponing Sale Sharks’ crucial final-round fixture against Worcester Warriors to Wednesday. Northampton Saints, meanwhile, have been forced to call off their match against Gloucester after several players were forced to self-isolate having come into contact with infected Sale players in their game on Tuesday night. Mark Darbon, the Northampton chief executive, described his “deep frustration” and “extreme disappointment” at forfeiting the match 20-0 because of Sale’s outbreak.

Sale’s squad are understood to have had drinks at the club’s Carrington training ground after beating Harlequins 27-19 on September 21. The club confirmed that the players had “a couple of beers” but strongly deny that this was the source of the outbreak.

Despite their absentees, The Sunday Telegraph understands that Sale could have fielded a competitive XV against Worcester Warriors, albeit with a prop playing on the wrong side of the scrum and their front-row replacements consisting of academy players. However, the game was pushed back to Wednesday after both Worcester Warriors and Public Health England expressed safety concerns.

The remaining members of Sale’s squad will be retested on Tuesday and Public Health England must also give the green light for the game to go ahead. Sale will not be allowed to register any new players while the RFU will conduct an audit of Sale’s track-and-trace system to establish how such a large outbreak occurred. If Sale cannot fulfil the match then they will also forfeit it 20-0.

Either way, the staging of the match will have significant implications on the play-off race. Sale currently occupy fourth place on 64 points, leading Bristol on points difference, with Wasps and Bath on 66 and 65 points respectively. Apart from Northampton, other clubs have maintained a public silence so far but several are understood to be privately furious that Sale’s match has been moved.

Gallagher Premiership 2019/20 latest standings

Gallagher Premiership
Team   P   W   D   L   -/+   BP   Pts
1   Exeter   21   15   0   6   228   14   74
2   Wasps   21   13   0   8   124   14   66
3   Bath   21   14   0   7   63   9   65
4   Sale   21   13   0   8   191   12   64
5   Bristol   21   13   1   7   75   10   64
6   Harlequins   21   9   1   11   -49   8   46
7   Gloucester   22   8   0   14   2   14   46
8   Northampton   22   8   0   14   -109   10   42
9   Worcester   21   7   0   14   -200   9   37
10   London Irish   21   6   1   14   -218   8   34
11   Leicester   21   6   1   14   -229   2   28
12   Saracens   21   13   0   8   122   13   -40

When the Premiership resumed post-lockdown on August 14, all clubs signed up to an agreement that they would be forced to forfeit a match if they suffered a significant number of positive Covid tests. In France, Castres were forced to cancel their Challenge Cup quarter-final against Leicester after four positive tests.

“They’re moving the goalposts,” one club source said. “It is making a mockery of the sport at a time when we are telling the Government that it is safe to open the stadiums but we’re going to put on a game where there has been a massive Covid-19.”

There are also legitimate concerns that the integrity of the Premiership will be at stake as Sale will have a distinct advantage in knowing what result they have to achieve to qualify for the play-offs. Should Sale qualify at another team’s expense, then there could be legal implications.

Premiership Rugby has confirmed it will not move the dates of the play-offs which will take place next weekend. That means that clubs will not necessarily know their opponents or venue until Wednesday night while Sale, should they qualify, could face a three-day turnaround.

Darren Childs, chief executive at Premiership Rugby, said: “In light of the unprecedented situation facing Premiership Rugby we have been forced to postpone the match.

“Our priority is the health and well-being of everyone involved, and we won't compromise this. But as this match has such a critical bearing on deciding the Gallagher Premiership Rugby champions, we wanted to do everything we could to play it.”

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2020, 09:49:41 PM »
The story in the Telegraph is about the fact that they had 'a couple of beers' at their Carrington training ground after the final. Not quite as sensational as the headline implies.

Whether they knew of any cases however if another matter.

That's good to know as it was starting to boil my bladder. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if people in government were considering whether rugby is fit to continue.

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2020, 11:52:44 AM »
I've no faith in the PRL to conduct the investigations and/or follow them through with any sort of clarity or conviction, however the test results become a fairly mute point if there is deemed to have been poor practice by Sale and that I would assume should incur a points penalty given the severity.