Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Willis, Rosbon, Umaga, Barbeary  (Read 2114 times)

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Willis, Rosbon, Umaga, Barbeary
« on: October 14, 2020, 10:54:45 PM »
Being reported by the Daily Mail that they're all set to be called into the EPS.

Eddie Jones is set to snub Bath scrum-half Ben Spencer from his autumn England squad, but Worcester Warriors wrecking-ball centre Ollie Lawrence is expected to be included on Thursday.

The national coach will update his party with players from Bath, Worcester and Sale Sharks before a weekend training camp building up to the Barbarians fixture on October 25.

And Sportsmail understands despite his superb form for Bath, scrum-half Spencer will be left out along with wing Joe Cokanasiga.

The 22-year-old Fijian-born flyer has only just returned from almost a year out injured, and it is believed Jones wants him to recover fully before he returns to the England fold.

With Manu Tuilagi out until next year having torn his achilles, England are on the look-out for a big centre to replace him.

Sources have indicated that 15st 10lbs Lawrence, 21, is earmarked as that man and will be added to the squad.

After the Premiership final on October 24, Jones will complete his squad with the addition of those from Exeter Chiefs and Wasps.

It is believed that league sensation Jack Willis, 23, will be selected at that point, capping a remarkable season in which he has won 44 turnovers in the league - 25 more than anyone else.

On Wednesday night the Wasps flanker was recognised by his peers when named Rugby Players' Association Players' Player of the Year.

Willis said on that accolade: 'It's an incredible honour to win this award and for it to be voted by all the players and teams that I've played against, and my peers, makes it even more special.'

Willis looks likely to be joined in the England squad after the final by fellow Wasps starlet Alfie Barbeary, the 20-year-old hooker who also plays back-row, scrum-half Dan Robson - who benefits from Spencer's absence - and fly-half Jacob Umaga.

Barbeary is tipped for greatness and scored a hat-trick against Leicester last month.

Exeter brothers Joe and Sam Simmonds may well miss out despite leading the Chiefs to both the European and Premiership finals.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Willis, Rosbon, Umaga, Barbeary
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 10:59:48 PM »
Thought this was going to be the Daily Mail listing the four players with covid

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 11:02:11 PM »
Thought this was going to be the Daily Mail listing the four players with covid

Me too. :(

Extracted from Heathen's post of today's Times article:

It is understood that the four Wasps players who have caught the virus were not frontline players involved in the semi-final
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 11:21:28 PM »
If true, then well done to the ‘quartet’.

If Willis isn’t picked then EJ should be fired. Robson has got his mojo back and it’s only fair he gets a 2nd go after suffering DVT last year after just 2 caps. Umaga has been stand out this year so deserves it (although it might be tight between him and Marcus Smith). Nice suprise to see Alfie getting picked - great impact and versatility. I suppose his England U20 credentials don’t hurt either.

p.s. to be honest when I read the title of this thread I almost had a heart attack - thought it were the players who tested positive  :-\

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 06:59:25 AM »
Yup, COYW could've put a bit more thought into the thread title!!

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 07:16:58 AM »
That's the joy of coming on here with those short titles, arguably somewhat clickbait....

Here's hoping the lads do get a call up! Interesting no mention of Launchbury getting call up nor Brookes. I'd be very shocked if no Launchbury.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 07:21:26 AM by HDAWG »

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 08:10:38 AM »
Well deserved. This also ensures players like Charlie, Will, Sam, Gaby continue to get opportunities next season.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 08:17:29 AM »
If it happens pleased for the lads. Not happy that Wasps (after all the only team that matters) lose a core of the team for 11 of the first 14 matches. I'm assuming Launch keeps his place and we continue to lose Will and Matteo.
Let me tell you something cucumber

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 08:57:48 AM »
Interesting no mention of Launchbury getting call up nor Brookes. I'd be very shocked if no Launchbury.

I'm assuming Launchbury's selection is a given, so not considered newsworthy.  With Kruis and Lawes unavailable Joe surely goes straight back into the starting 15.  An opportunity to remind Eddie what he's been missing while he ditched him in favour of Kruis.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 09:07:01 AM »
Interesting no mention of Launchbury getting call up nor Brookes. I'd be very shocked if no Launchbury.

I'm assuming Launchbury's selection is a given, so not considered newsworthy.  With Kruis and Lawes unavailable Joe surely goes straight back into the starting 15.  An opportunity to remind Eddie what he's been missing while he ditched him in favour of Kruis.

But given that logic and considering experience at center, hooker and back row. Surely Eddie has plans for Barbeary in the second row!!

FrankWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 09:12:25 AM »
But he might be looking for a fullback!