Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Final Thread  (Read 7460 times)

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Final Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2020, 08:07:18 PM »
who ever called that last line out was the issue, end of line,  in that weather, against Chiefs, seriously wrong call

Yup, this doesn't make much sense. But we did it quite often throughout the game. Oh well.

To echo above, Exeter deserved to win, but the lads did brilliantly. It's a young team, they will come back stronger. Well done Exeter, happy enough for them especially given how Saracens essentially stole a couple of titles from them.

Huge games from Robson and Launch. Also, very shrewd getting Gaskell on in the place of T. Willis for the extra ballast. Moment of the match was Sopoaga's flying catch, clearance, and chase. It is the hope that kills you and I believed after that.

We go again next year. Always a Wasp.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2020, 08:08:17 PM »
Wasps squad keep proving me wrong.

Their preparation and absences suggested they had little chance but their effort today was OUTSTANDING.

Well done everyone. No shame in losing that one.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2020, 08:08:46 PM »
Have to agree, even as a (former) back I know that the longer a ball is in the air the longer the defenders have to organise - even if the throw doesn't go astray!

The result was probably correct, even without CMK guessing what he thought he had seen on occasions.

Congratulations Exeter - but please stop using the longest caterpillars known to man!

However just think how much better we could have been if we had been able train properly.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2020, 08:11:12 PM »
I can't lie - as much as I accept Exeter as champions, I am heartbroken.

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2020, 08:14:45 PM »
Congratulations to Exeter, that game could have gone either way and I expect a lot of us will be reliving that line out at the end...  The call to take the line out long was a risk too far.  The conditions were not good for a classic final but the last two hours have flown by.

So proud of the Wasps team and club this season.  I think they can all hold their heads up high and this will have been a great learning experience for the younger players in the team and gives us some hunger for next season fingers crossed.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2020, 08:19:49 PM »
I am gutted and proud at the same time, just think we were all worried about being in the basement at Christmas, look at where we have got to. This squad of players can go on to massive things,I am not worried about the line out throw, those things happen. An immense effort from all and reasons to be cheerful about next season #COYW
It was fine when I left it.....

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2020, 08:34:59 PM »
Well done Exeter.

By far the favorites on the day. They produced the power and skill when needed.

We did incredibly well to nullify many of their strengths.

The conditions prevented us using ours.

Bring on 20/21.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2020, 08:57:45 PM »
 So proud of the squad. We could easily have won that and our defence was absolutely brilliant. Exeter couldn't have ordered better weather but the fact we were in it for the full 80 proves we are now a well rounded team with serious talent. The feeling in the squad is exceptional and I just feel we are in fantastic shape in so many ways. Exeter's set piece edged it on the night but we completely nullified their main weapons. The entertainment is back, we have youngsters galore coming through and we are good all round the pitch - bring on next season.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2020, 09:01:11 PM »
Gutted and heartbroken at the end, but most of all bursting with pride at the effort the squad have shown throughout the season to go from relegation candidates to the final. In what has been a very difficult year I really do think they have given a lot of people hope for the future.

Sadly it wasn't to be today. Maybe had we not lost a week's prep we'd have faired better, or maybe we'd have knackered ourselves out on the training pitch.

Maybe Chesty and Kieran would have made a difference in the scrums, maybe they'd have been penalised off the park.

Maybe Brad and a 6/2 split on the bench would have helped us, maybe not.

Maybe it should have been a penalty try and/or just a yellow card for the line out collapse, maybe, as I felt at the time the ref got it wrong and it should have been a turnover to Exeter.

Maybe it would have been different had Barnes not tested positive, maybe he'd have been even harsher on is.

We battled, we had our big chance and we didn't take it. That's down to us as a team, not CMK, not Covid, not the weather. Looking for someone to blame won't change the facts or make us feel better. At the end of the day, Exeter are the best side in Europe for a reason.

Let's not spend ages stewing on what could have been or if a decision went the other way. It hurts, but we cannot change what happened (unless anyone has built a time machine that works...). We can only dictate what happens next.

Let's remember the hurt in watching Exeter lift the trophy today, and use it as the motivation to make sure we're back at Twickenham in June and this time we're victorious.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 09:10:32 PM by MarleyWasp »

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2020, 09:06:27 PM »
Well done Exeter. Deserved double champions. Welcome to a very elite club!

Can't help wondering "what if..." in terms of our disrupted preparation, missing players and decidedly un-final-like conditions, but nothing anyone can do about any of that.

Immensely proud of the whole squad over the past 10 weeks or so.  This experience will serve them well in future.

Left feeling utterly deflated for what might've been, but at the same time more optimistic about the season to come that I have felt for many, many years. 4 WEEKS TO GO!!!

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2020, 09:08:34 PM »
So proud of the squad. We could easily have won that and our defence was absolutely brilliant. Exeter couldn't have ordered better weather but the fact we were in it for the full 80 proves we are now a well rounded team with serious talent. The feeling in the squad is exceptional and I just feel we are in fantastic shape in so many ways. Exeter's set piece edged it on the night but we completely nullified their main weapons. The entertainment is back, we have youngsters galore coming through and we are good all round the pitch - bring on next season.
Bloody hell you've stolen just about every word I was gonna write. Exeter worthy champions but we could've won that!!

I can't believe the transformation in our defence and forward play. Someone is doing some seriously good work. The togetherness is there for all to see but our forward play is unrecognisable from a few months ago. Main workon for the close season is obv lineout. Seriously, what's wrong with a tap and go lads? So proud of you though, the future is properly bright.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2020, 09:10:49 PM »
Maybe tap and go instead of the line out as we have done previously this season if we weren’t going to go for the points.
We trusted our maul after the monster effort that came just before that moment. Seeing the ball slip in Gabby’s throw was gutting.
Such a shame the weather ruined our momentum this season.
Congratulations Exeter - see you again Soon

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2020, 09:41:57 PM »
I don't ont think the call to take the line out was wrong, but the decision to put it to the back certainly was.

Go short, don't let the wind catch it, get the drive on ASAP and trust to big Biyi.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2020, 10:12:06 PM »
Maybe if Alfie was playing we would have taken the tap and go......

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2020, 10:18:27 PM »
I don't ont think the call to take the line out was wrong, but the decision to put it to the back certainly was.

Go short, don't let the wind catch it, get the drive on ASAP and trust to big Biyi.
Agreed. Go to the front, secure it and take our chances from there. The throw goes to us and we win. Fine margins.