Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 10355 times)

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2020, 03:07:48 PM »
So we come out of that with possibly Shields and Umaga injured and a short turn around for next week.
I think glos  will fancy their chances

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2020, 03:08:43 PM »
So we come out of that with possibly Shields and Umaga injured and a short turn around for next week.

Agree with that
Let me tell you something cucumber

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2020, 03:09:02 PM »
Having watched every game this weekend its a toss up as to whether this or Glaws were the worst, given the opposition were Bris seconds i'd maybe go with this.
Velacott ponderous, Umaga's head with England? - Not sure we can claim rust having had an extended break.
Ref aside, that was pretty bad...we stole that result.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2020, 03:19:05 PM »
I though Alfie’s energy and physicality got us over the line.

Jacob was getting too much slow ball.

Gaskell played well.

Room for improvement but it was a good result.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2020, 03:23:48 PM »
Having watched every game this weekend its a toss up as to whether this or Glaws were the worst, given the opposition were Bris seconds i'd maybe go with this.
Velacott ponderous, Umaga's head with England? - Not sure we can claim rust having had an extended break.
But it is a win. Not sure it was that bad. Scrum looked good again and it's only round 1. Agree somewhat about Vellacott - think he was too busy looking for the snipes. Watched us lose at home to Irish at this point last season so I'll take the W.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2020, 03:28:32 PM »
Interesting, the way Bristol seemed to be trying to get their own back on Robsons tap and go

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2020, 03:55:31 PM »
1st I thought we edged it performance wise and the result was fair.  We could have been further ahead had we not been so sloppy early on with the line out.

2nd half we started ok but really faultered with the yellow card not helping. 

Overall, it could have gone either way and I am relieved that it fell to us in the end.  We do need to remember that while that was a second Bristol side we were also without a number of key players and had players who have been interrupted with England duties so.   I think Glos were much worse this weekend.

I don't expect that we will get much next week as we have a tight turn around and it is a tricky away game, but let's take the the points today and work on how we will pressure cips and the Glos forwards

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2020, 04:21:31 PM »

Agree with that

Don’t agree. We have a solid squad even with the international quartet away. Losing Shield will be a blow but not devestating with our depth. Umaga seemed alright in the end - he was walking around and celebrating.

Glaws yesterday just seemed to continue the same form of last season. Leicester weren’t particularly strong (just a notch up on last season), but Glaws were so flat and lacked a clear game plan. Although I will always consider Simpson a Wasp he is a shadow of what he used to be (heck I’d choose Bristol’s Randall over him based on his recent performance) and Cips just isn’t as inspiring as he was in his first season there.

Interesting, the way Bristol seemed to be trying to get their own back on Robsons tap and go

Yeah noticed that too!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2020, 04:33:54 PM »
Think Bristol benefited from being able to attack the area they like to around the corner at 13 without having to worry about Fekitoa defending there.

But as has already been said we are in a better position than after home game one last year with the promise of improvement with more training sessions and game time.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2020, 04:57:17 PM »
Jacob

Anyone see what happened and more importantly, how?

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2020, 05:12:38 PM »
I doubt anyone did, BT would have been too busy showing a close up of a player or coach (how many line-outs did they miss showing?) and the commentators were too busy chatting to each other half of the time rather than following what was on the pitch - even substitutions went un-noticed. They really were (IMO) dammed poor.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 05:17:55 PM by Tervueren »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2020, 05:14:29 PM »
I doubt anyone did, BT would have been too busy showing a close up of a player or coach (how many line-outs did they miss showing?) and the commentators were too busy chatting to each other half of the time rather than following what was on the pitch - even substitutions went un-noticed. They realy were (IMO) dammed poor.

On this I like the Amazon coverage whereby they stop chatting to hear the ref make a decision. The number of time we shout shut up at the BT chat during a game is insane.
Let me tell you something cucumber

hopwood

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2020, 05:15:07 PM »
Jacob caught a stray Bristol boot to the back of his head as he tackled somebody on the touch line.
He was clutching the back of his head.
I thought it might have been cut open....but couldn't see any blood at the end of the match.
Probably just got a huge wallop and the staff wanted to run through the head-checks to make sure he was okay to resume.

And yes...Vellacott needs to improve his relationship with Jacob.
I'm sure it will come together over the coming games....but hopefully sooner rather than later.
And as others have said...he needs to park his own gap-finding instincts and purely focus on fast ball to 10.
As his game improves and he gets more experienced and confident....then the opportunities to snipe will become available.

But first things first....get to the ball really quickly, grab it quickly and pass it quickly.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2020, 05:21:14 PM »
Jacob caught a stray Bristol boot to the back of his head as he tackled somebody on the touch line.
He was clutching the back of his head.
I thought it might have been cut open....but couldn't see any blood at the end of the match.
Probably just got a huge wallop and the staff wanted to run through the head-checks to make sure he was okay to resume.
Merci - I take it was accidental?

And yes - re Vellacott - when you've got the choice/options of 10 or 12 or 15 (today) as potential targets (depending upon call) getting the ball swiftly to the decision makers is the clear priority.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2020, 05:27:25 PM »
But it is a win. Not sure it was that bad. Scrum looked good again and it's only round 1. Agree somewhat about Vellacott - think he was too busy looking for the snipes. Watched us lose at home to Irish at this point last season so I'll take the W.
Win or lose it was the same performance and one bounce off and offload from Basset was the only thing that made it a win.
Scrum was good I agree, but this was Bris 2/3rd team, had that been the full squad we'd have got spanked. We'll have to disagree on this one, for me it was a horrible performance and some individuals will have to up their game big time. The fact that Glaws looked equally as shite is the only plus going into next weeks game.
Hoping this was just one of those days but it was night and day to 3/4 weeks ao.