Always a Wasp

Author Topic: So what does that mean?  (Read 3343 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
So what does that mean?
« on: May 14, 2017, 10:48:53 AM »
With Sarries beating Clermont and claiming the ECC for the second year running will they be brimming with confidence and close to unbeatable?  Or will they be carrying a few knocks and not be up to their usual standard against Chiefs?

Myself I suspect the former, but either way I think they're in for a tougher game than us and more likely to not be able to field their 1st choice in every position in the final (I think they'll win the semi).

What do you think?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Harry the wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: So what does that mean?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 10:51:40 AM »
I think they are looking pretty unstoppable but Exeter aren't too bad either. I thought Exeter would take it but after yesterday's performance from Sarries I'm not too sure now. Great cartoon in the RP this morning about Sarries and their fans.
Only supporting teams beginning with a W.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 11:50:27 AM »
No idea how to call it, that game must have taken a lot out of some of their players, but with the win they'll feel invincible. Going to be tough for them at Sandy park whatever, but whoever wins there is going to feel equally powerful come twickenham.

Let's hope we can get past tigers!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 12:32:02 PM »
To be fair I think the final is going to be all about self belief rather than ability.  All four of the semi-final teams are good enough to win, but only one of them can.  If we do a number on Tiggers I can see us winning the whole thing.  If we scrape past I don't think we'll beat Sarries, but I don't think Chiefs are as scary when they aren't at home.

That being said if I had to put money down right now it would be on Sarries :(

I'm really hoping for a number of completely non-serious injuries to their best players that take them out for a couple of weeks but no longer.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 12:44:39 PM »
I'd rather play them full strength.  If we could score 3 tries or more against them, even if eventually losing, it would show that we are on the right track, and that attack is worth focusing on (albeit with improving defence too).

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 03:50:22 PM »
I'd rather play them full strength.

Should we be playing them in the final, I'd take any advantage that we can get. I'd hope they would be battered and exhausted. That of course presupposes that we beat Tigs.

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 05:19:44 PM »
The odd injury would be OK, but I want it strong, no asterixes next to the victory, no question marks over whether we're going in the right direction with our attacking game.  I want to see attack overcome defence (and sarries have a fairly good attack themselves).

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 07:52:14 PM »
I can kinda see why you'd want to see us "on track" and play effectively against a full strength Sarries, but to be honest I'd rather see us lift the trophy at the end of the final, and if we're more likely to do that with one of two of the opposition's best players unable to take the field I'm perfectly good with that.

I don't wish harm on anyone, especially not specifically, but a few dead legs, or shoulder stingers wouldn't go amiss please Chiefs...

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 10:06:09 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised if we get some injuries as well. Seem to remember us coming away from Tigers games with a few injuries, Hughes twice from memory.