Always a Wasp

Author Topic: What a game!  (Read 2657 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What a game!
« on: May 21, 2017, 12:05:18 AM »
Genuinely don't know how I feel after watching that. A long way off our best, and some terrible decisions in both directions. But a Tigers team who were really up for it. And we're in the bloody final!

Who's have thought...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: What a game!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 06:33:30 AM »
Vaguely encouraged.  We were smashed at the breakdown, beaten at the lineout, and had little more than parity at best in the scrum.  And despite all that, we won, and were a few loose passes away from having a few more scores.

We always look a bit off after a week away, and so I'm hoping we can tighten it up.

Exeter fans may disagree, but I felt they played extremely well, and I'm not sure they can get too much better.

Parling I suspect will interfere with our lineout just has Kitchener was capable of doing, and the scrum looks bloody scary again, but if we can tighten up (hopefully with Moore and JCW back, we may be able to) I think we'll at least go OK.

EDIT - One concern is that Chiefs will run it from their own half, and their clearout work is superb, meaning we could find ourselves in one of those games where we just don't get the ball.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 06:42:06 AM by Raggs »

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 11:03:53 AM »
It was not as exciting as that Exeter game last year, but the crowd noise was immense! I think that there were more Tigers fans than Waspies though. Watching the Exeter game with beer in hand (thank you for that really nice pint of Purity) in the East stand concourse, the cheer that went up at the end from us all!

I do think Exeter were at their best. We were not in terms of the way most coaches would measure a team. But, We are Wasps. We don't do normal. And sometimes it scares us. There was a whole 20 minutes or so when we saw the ball for seconds before giving it (and points) away. The look on Ashley's face when he first made 'that pass' that led to the try, and then knocked on in attack. Anguish. But the boys rallied round him, picked him up, dusted him off, and got him going again. This is OUR WAY.

I saw Cips make a few insane full on tackles, I saw the Nathan ball in one hand dashes (and the inevitable knock, but only once - he was SO on form yesterday). Just over 29000 actual attendance. Joe rightly MOTM. He was everywhere tackling, running through with ball, passing, in the lineout.

Tigers threw the proverbial kitchen sink at us to 'Get one for Tom'.

And when Bassett came on, he just kept running at them, doing everything he could to get a try. It was taking a fair few defenders to get him down most times, and he still made the ball available.

Sure it could have been prettier text book rugby, but then we don't do that, do we?

Got my tickets on the halfway line for the final. My daughter rang her supervisor straight after the game and pleaded for next week off (I had already got her a ticket anyway), and her supervisor has relented, she is coming with us!

Booked coach seats for all four of us from the Ricoh. Win or lose, this is going to be a day to remember.

Let's hope that Dai's 'They'll both be fit for the game' reply in interview is right. What a send off that would be for Kurtley to make him want to come back. The look on his face at pitchside when Josh scored that try. THAT is a guy committed to the team. WLR ran his socks off yesterday, even with tanks empty he still pushed on.

Harry the wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 12:20:10 PM »
Just about coming down to earth even now. Watched it in a bar in Edinburgh which was kind enough to put it on for me. By the end the customers were cheering along with me and I got a kiss from the barmaid at the final whistle! Roll on a Wasps/England double header at the weekend.
Only supporting teams beginning with a W.