Always a Wasp

Author Topic: England Vs Scotland  (Read 8273 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: England Vs Scotland
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2021, 04:10:04 PM »
Methods of play are one thing and Englands is dull at the moment. But for the problem is selection. England badly need freshening up. I'd say those that really shouldn't be there at the moment are George, Vunipola, Watson, Daly, Youngs and Williams. That's the spine of the side. For me Smith or Ford have to play 10. Its all to predictable at the moment.

hopwood

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2021, 05:05:00 PM »
Methods of play are one thing and Englands is dull at the moment. But for the problem is selection. England badly need freshening up. I'd say those that really shouldn't be there at the moment are George, Vunipola, Watson, Daly, Youngs and Williams. That's the spine of the side. For me Smith or Ford have to play 10. Its all to predictable at the moment.

Couldn’t agree more.
Spot on.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2021, 05:32:08 PM »
Given that Eddie only has 28 players to select from, unless he dramatically changes the game plan, there's not a lot that can change.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2021, 05:45:41 PM »
The same EJ that stated the last WC squad would be disbanded with new blood. Yet the only new blood we see are holding tackle bags.
The guys a joke. I have lost all interest in England and he did that. He's 'creating the best team in the world mate'..that no one wants to watch.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2021, 06:24:07 PM »

Couldn’t agree more.
Spot on.

Yes and no. Select whoever you like, there is a need for refreshment - but if the game plan coached is the one utilised yesterday - nothing will change.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2021, 07:10:28 PM »
The same EJ that stated the last WC squad would be disbanded with new blood. Yet the only new blood we see are holding tackle bags.
The guys a joke. I have lost all interest in England and he did that. He's 'creating the best team in the world mate'..that no one wants to watch.

Must admit I was rooting Scotland before game and nothing in the 80 minutes changed my mind.
 Similar to England Soccer just can’t get excited about it so don’t watch national team anymore.

Unfortunately as long as England Rugby win enough games and crowds in the future continue to fill all the seats nothing is going to change .

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2021, 09:11:47 AM »

And yet, this is largely the same team who blew NZ away in the Semis.  Listening to Eggchasers this morning and Tim talking through Jonny's comments on ITV after the game.  I missed the post-match interviews (other than Farrell's) so if this is wrong, I apologise but relaying what Cocker said.  Jonny's apparently spoke about a handful of games where for whatever they just weren't clicking and in trying to figure out they put it down to: Trying too hard and forcing things that weren't on, then a handful of other very minor changes.

Both the Premiership this season and international rugby at the moment is such fine margins. I do believe the changes needed to take England from the Scotland performance back to the sort of performance vs NZ are relatively minor.  For me:

-- Farrell has to play 12.  If he starts, it's at 12.  If Ford is injured, or out of form we find another 10.  The conundrum with that is that really only Smith/Simmonds are contenders to slot in right now.  Simmonds is much more in the Farrell mould, Smith is having a good season and in-form.  Jacob and Charlie both too green and I think need to get some consistent club form to be in contention - They've both shown enough, they just need to show it regularly enough

-- Daly needs a break or a rest.  We either need to have a rock at the back, or someone who can give us some attacking impotus.  My preference is Malins at 15 and Daly on the bench.  There is no doubting Elliott's quality, but he's not showing it at the moment

-- Youngs also needs some time away from the squad, perhaps permanently.  We've got Spencer and Robson both capable of scrapping it out for the shirt and Randall waiting in the wings.  The 3 of them also give balance and flexibility.  We know Dobbie can play a kicking game as well as a fast-paced, sniping game as/when needed.  Spencer gives control as well as lightning pace to punish teams and Randall fizzes all over the place. 

-- Pick a 13 at 13.  Slade, or Lawrence or Paolo.  I don't mind.  If you want grunt, pick one of the latter two.  If you want ball playing, pick Slade

-- Give Billy a break.  His power and size aren't as effective as they were (at least not overtly, although supposedly his work off of the ball is through the roof).  Put Curry at 8 and then rotate Underhill, Earl and Jack (when all 3 are fit) at 6/7 and pick based on whether you want to play a more counter-attacking game (Jack/Earl) or a more defensive/physical game (Underhill).  That's not to doubt Jack's physicality or defence- he's a strong ball carrier, but his point of difference is his ability to win turnover ball to turn into attack

They're the changes I would make.  More selection than anything and the only changes to the current squad would be to swap Spencer in for Youngs and bring in Smith.  But not sure who i'd take out of the squad to accommodate him.  Probably Paolo/Lawrence.  If underhill was fit i'd have Willis in for Wilson.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2021, 09:35:43 AM »
[quote author=InBetweenWasp link=topic=3255.msg55706#msg55706

-- Farrell has to play 12.  If he starts, it's at 12.  If Ford is injured, or out of form we find another 10.  The conundrum with that is that really only Smith/Simmonds are contenders to slot in right now.  Simmonds is much more in the Farrell mould, Smith is having a good season and in-form.  Jacob and Charlie both too green and I think need to get some consistent club form to be in contention - They've both shown enough, they just need to show it regularly enough
[/quote]

You probably meant this, but I really wouldn't drop Ford for anyone at the moment. He's probably the best fly half in the world right now, or at the very least up there. Should've started ahead on Farrell based on form and game time.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2021, 09:55:20 AM »
You probably meant this, but I really wouldn't drop Ford for anyone at the moment. He's probably the best fly half in the world right now, or at the very least up there. Should've started ahead on Farrell based on form and game time.

Yep, I meant Ford is our 10.  Then, if he is injured or out of form we find another 10 that isn't Farrell.  We need to stop with Farrell at 10 if Ford doesn't start at 10.  Farrell is well suited to being an English 12.  But no way should he be our (or even the Lions) 10.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 10:02:21 AM by InBetweenWasp »

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2021, 10:15:36 AM »

Yep, I meant Ford is our 10.  Then, if he is injured or out of form we find another 10 that isn't Farrell.  We need to stop with Farrell at 10 if Ford doesn't start at 10.  Farrell is well suited to being an English 12.  But no way should he be our (or even the Lions) 10.

Completely agree

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2021, 08:22:35 PM »
Said in the other place that Farrell is a 12, and a mediocre 10 by international standards,with  poor vision, and simply unable to play in traffic. He may have the mentality of a Lion, McGeechan's test match animal, and the boot of a Lion, but he does not have the skill set of  even an England ten, let alone a Lions one.

I don't know if this is like last year, where a dodgy start was recovered from, or more like our 5th place, where we just looked awful throughout....

We will thrash Italy, but France at home and the two away games look harder, especially as Ireland looked decent for the first time in ages, playing with 14.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2021, 11:23:47 PM »
And yet, this is largely the same team who blew NZ away in the Semis.

And it is largely the same team that got annihilated by the Saffas in the final.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2021, 05:47:58 AM »
Interesting stat on the a Full Contact podcast ....

Youngs made 28 passes in the 53 mins, Dobbie made 29 passes.  They didn’t give the number of kicks so difficult to get the full picture.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2021, 08:39:33 AM »
Interesting stat on the a Full Contact podcast ....

Youngs made 28 passes in the 53 mins, Dobbie made 29 passes.  They didn’t give the number of kicks so difficult to get the full picture.

You might find this interesting

https://www.englandrugby.com/fixtures-and-results/match-centre/six-nations-england-scotland-twickenham-150-calcutta-cup-february-2020#stats

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2021, 10:31:05 AM »
Amazing how many people don't give a stuff about England but feel interested enough to comment on a thread specifically about England.... :)