Always a Wasp

Author Topic: England Vs Scotland  (Read 8379 times)

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: England Vs Scotland
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2021, 10:42:16 AM »
What really gets me about this is that, I can't see any other top level coach picking all of those players who haven't played for weeks on end. I know he's an international coach and I'm not etc etc, but to me that's just common sense. I keep asking myself, who else would have taken that risk, and I honestly don't think any half decent coach would do.

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2021, 11:08:07 AM »
What really gets me about this is that, I can't see any other top level coach picking all of those players who haven't played for weeks on end. I know he's an international coach and I'm not etc etc, but to me that's just common sense. I keep asking myself, who else would have taken that risk, and I honestly don't think any half decent coach would do.

Before the game I was wondering if they might not have been too bad - in an era of players playing too much rugby and carrying knocks and worse from game to game, having a few fresh legs might have been an advantage. But I would have made sure to absolutely beast them in training for the two weeks or so I had them as preparation. And I would imagine EJ could easily have got Saracens to up those players' training schedules before they joined the England camp. If he didn't (or couldn't because of Covid protocols) then it would obviously never work and they shouldn't have been picked.

But, then again, I would have dropped all Saracens players from the minute they received their punishment relegation last season and used it as a chance to build squad depth and experience.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2021, 12:04:18 PM »

When was the last EPS squad finalised?

From memory, Eddie can only pick from that and can only make a small number of changes to it each time.

Is it possible that the EPS was finalised before the championship season was delayed and therefore he wouldn't have known they'd have no match practice?

The question of whether Saracens players morally deserve to be in the England squad is a different matter

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2021, 12:20:23 PM »
Good article here from the XV website, free to read for 24 hours

https://www.thexv.rugby/2021/02/09/lost-for-words/

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2021, 12:49:18 PM »

That is excellent thanks.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2021, 01:02:31 PM »

That is excellent thanks.

Is a really good website, currently doing a promotion of £10 subscription instead of £25 for the year, I have had it since January, numerous good articles each week.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2021, 01:41:35 PM »

Before the game I was wondering if they might not have been too bad - in an era of players playing too much rugby and carrying knocks and worse from game to game, having a few fresh legs might have been an advantage. But I would have made sure to absolutely beast them in training for the two weeks or so I had them as preparation. And I would imagine EJ could easily have got Saracens to up those players' training schedules before they joined the England camp. If he didn't (or couldn't because of Covid protocols) then it would obviously never work and they shouldn't have been picked.

But, then again, I would have dropped all Saracens players from the minute they received their punishment relegation last season and used it as a chance to build squad depth and experience.

I agree wrt picking the Sarries in the first place, however, that is now a moot point.

Regarding match fitness, I read a n interview with LBND  in one of the papers ref England's dire performance and he categorically states that no amount of training can make up for loss of playing time. It is playing those matches that brings the sharpness, not the training.

From my own experience in boxing, I'd definitely agree. I've seen lads look really good in the gym or when sparring, but when it really counts they just freeze.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2021, 01:49:33 PM »
and yet Maro who can't have played a game in months was probably Englands best player...

I don't think its nearly as simple as some are making out.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2021, 02:31:20 PM »

Great article.  This quote bang on the mark:

"Question: ‘Shit, Eddie, what happened there?’

Eddie: ‘Mate, I screwed up. My fault. I got the preparation wrong.’

Question: ‘And what did you get wrong?’

Eddie: ‘Aw, mate, if I knew that, I wouldn’t have got it wrong, would I?’"

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2021, 03:38:52 PM »
and yet Maro who can't have played a game in months was probably Englands best player...

Most fired up? Most certainly. Most effective? There'd be many different opinions on that.....

Edit to add, on the basis of mike909's link to the stats on the last page, one could argue that Maro was not even the best 2nd row for England, let alone best player......
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 03:41:45 PM by matelot22 »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2021, 03:50:59 PM »

Most fired up? Most certainly. Most effective? There'd be many different opinions on that.....

Edit to add, on the basis of mike909's link to the stats on the last page, one could argue that Maro was not even the best 2nd row for England, let alone best player......

I often wonder why he is rarely cited. On Saturday I saw two blatant knees to the head of a prone player. Yes can be accidental but he does it too often.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2021, 04:28:11 PM »
Looking ahead, what will Eddie do?
I hope he moves Farrell to 12 (he won't ever drop him). Youngs I can't see him changing either. Who will pay the price for the display?  Change at 13 or 15? Can't see him dropping Billy, no matter what happens on the field. Will he pick the same players and change tactics or new players for the old game plan....?

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2021, 04:37:44 PM »
or old players with the old plan to prove a point?

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2021, 04:42:32 PM »

I often wonder why he is rarely cited. On Saturday I saw two blatant knees to the head of a prone player. Yes can be accidental but he does it too often.

I often wonder with some of his transgressions , they happen so fast , ref doesn’t have time to realise what’s happened.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2021, 05:01:36 PM »

I often wonder with some of his transgressions , they happen so fast , ref doesn’t have time to realise what’s happened.

But that's what we are supposed to have a TMO for!