Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Serious injury for Jack.  (Read 6498 times)

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Serious injury for Jack.
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2021, 04:23:29 PM »
did not see the incident but commentators saying illegal,player off feet but no penalty, what happened.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2021, 04:27:03 PM »
If it is the same knee, it is probably career ending.

it was his right knee against Saracens.....

As small mercies go, I will take that. Andy Williams is a great surgeon.

I must admit I thought when I saw it that it was at least season finished. I was unaware which knee that he injured previously. I'm not that bothered about England, but jack had a shot at the Lions, which is a great shame for the lad.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2021, 04:27:15 PM »
Absolutely heart broken for him.  Please  God he will recover soon tho' it looks like a long hard road ahead; I hope I am very very wrong. Keep strong Jack.

AndyL

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2021, 04:27:51 PM »
Player was off feet but that is no longer illegal. It was what they're calling a crocodile roll. It was horrible could hear him scream on TV. I just hope he recovers and the boys at wasps ger behind him and really help him through it.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2021, 04:28:08 PM »
Crocodile roll at the breakdown. Definitely left knee. Got stuck underneath him and twisted. Looks like ACL/ligaments. Hoping it isn't.

Nigel Med

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2021, 04:35:08 PM »
This precisely why I keep banging on about the “clear out” being completely illegal- it was only a matter of time before someone was seriously injured and now it’s happened to Jack. The IRB laws are crystal clear, players joining the breakdown must first stay on their feet, they must join behind or alongside the hind-most player and must bind on. The Italian player went in at the side, went straight off his feet and made zero attempt to bind on to anyone. Take your pick, totally illegal but as the clear out has become such an accepted part of the game it’s not even penalised never mind the red or yellow card it deserved. Ludicrous. What happened to safety, equity, laws? Really feel for Jack, hope he makes a full recovery but I’m fuming

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2021, 04:41:23 PM »
This precisely why I keep banging on about the “clear out” being completely illegal- it was only a matter of time before someone was seriously injured and now it’s happened to Jack. The IRB laws are crystal clear, players joining the breakdown must first stay on their feet, they must join behind or alongside the hind-most player and must bind on. The Italian player went in at the side, went straight off his feet and made zero attempt to bind on to anyone. Take your pick, totally illegal but as the clear out has become such an accepted part of the game it’s not even penalised never mind the red or yellow card it deserved. Ludicrous. What happened to safety, equity, laws? Really feel for Jack, hope he makes a full recovery but I’m fuming

Interestingly Ben Ryan who has been banging on about it being outlawed completely for ages has just said on Twatter that the IRB are OK with it being reffed that way. Criminal if so.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2021, 04:46:30 PM »

Interestingly Ben Ryan who has been banging on about it being outlawed completely for ages has just said on Twatter that the IRB are OK with it being reffed that way. Criminal if so.

If the IRB are ok with this then they are also responsible for Jacks injury and should collectively hang their heads in shame. The crocodile roll needs outlawing as soon as possible. I feel so sorry for Jack.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2021, 04:48:21 PM »
The breakdown is a mess and "clearing out" is in part a result of a failure to officiate to the Laws.

If refs (and its more of a problem in the NH imo) were consistent in calling ruck, then either a player is first to the tackle and gets hands on ball or it's a ruck and then Law 15 applies in terms of joining a ruck.

What we have at the moment too often is that the team in possession feel the need to "clear out" because otherwise they will lose a ball, where that ball is being played using hands within a ruck.

There is no room in the Laws for a "contest for the ball" because the defender is still on their feet but has not got hands on ball. The situation looks to me like one that needs clear an consistent application of Laws or else such challenges will be incentivised to avoid losing ball.

I'm not going to suggest who if anyone was at fault - but you can see the same in virtually any Prem game. If I am defending, and am not first to the tackle and  get hands on ball, then I have no rights to use my hands as its a ruck as soon as an opponent arrives. As a colleague of the tackled player, I ought not to need to "clear out" as I can either tackle player with ball or I bind onto the players who form a ruck

Prob not a brilliant explanation - but it's been a danger for ages (clearing out) and seems a function (at least in part) of inconsistent breakdown officiating.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2021, 04:49:47 PM »

If this doesn’t make them review their decision they might be on the wrong end of a player welfare legal case.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 04:53:45 PM by Bloke in North Dorset »

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2021, 04:56:44 PM »
I feel very sorry for Jack and hope it’s not as serious as it looked.

He was having a blinder too.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2021, 05:17:09 PM »
Gutted for him, worked so hard to get back, breaking into England’s very set backrow, which was established in his absence with injury last time - hope everyone gets round him for his rehab again as I’m sure it’ll be a lonely place anyway but covid restrictions could well make it worse.
Breakdown needs to be looked at in line with what Ben Ryan has been talking about but I don’t think there’s any blame on the Italy player here, just so very unfortunate for Jack and the way the Italy guy we’ll.
Heartbroken for Jack

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2021, 06:09:52 PM »
Early update is that he will have a scan tomorrow. Apparently walking with the aid of crutches but Eddie Jones saying "it doesn't look good". Just hoping it's less serious somehow.

loverugby1979

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2021, 06:55:53 PM »
It seems out of the season. Wait for next week.