Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 4838 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2021, 02:55:17 PM »
Each page of this thread is it's own set of emotions

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2021, 02:55:32 PM »
Great defence today. We always looked capable of absorbing Wuss's pressure. Thought Douglass gave us some useful ballast. Back row, especially Shields and Willis immense. Taylor had one of his better games. Also, what a smart player Bassett is. Fekitoa bought the physicality. It was closer than it should have been really but I always thought we were quite comfortable.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2021, 02:55:48 PM »
Yep thought Wolstenholme was good, much more solid defensively with Minozzi at the back too.
Morris and shields were everywhere and Gaskell was a pest without giving away too many pens this week.
Good to see Vailanu back and we move onto Leicester!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2021, 02:56:41 PM »
Plus a number of injured and less used players got game time - Josh, Levi, Theo and Vailanu all got valuable game time.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2021, 03:00:16 PM »
Ugly win in the end ,but thought Woostenholme had  a better game.
He did, but I thought he didn't adjust his kicking for the wind in the 2nd half and got a bit long so we weren't competing as well.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2021, 03:01:21 PM »
Great to see Minozzi playing well too. Bit of depth tested with some squad players used, and while we've not done great we've come through ok.

Disappointing not to score more in the second half.

Would be bringing Rowlands back next week for more oomph, especially against Tigers. Think Booj still brings some nice physicality. Great to have Bassett back. I like this back 3.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2021, 03:03:22 PM »
We were fortunate to win and could easily have lost.

Our scrum looked poor and we lost momentum. I don’t think JTA is good enough.

Tom Willis was excellent. Brad, Malakai and Morris were very good. Gopps, Gaskell and Kibirige played well.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2021, 03:16:26 PM »
Is there a video of the high shot on Fekitoa? I missed it live but picked up a bit of chat about it in the post match comments

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2021, 03:19:34 PM »
I was delighted for Tom Willis today.

To hear he was upset yesterday because of his brother’s injury and then to put in a barnstorming performance like that today was great to see.

The Willis brothers are very impressive.

hopwood

« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2021, 03:19:46 PM »
Great defence today. We always looked capable of absorbing Wuss's pressure. Thought Douglass gave us some useful ballast. Back row, especially Shields and Willis immense. Taylor had one of his better games. Also, what a smart player Bassett is. Fekitoa bought the physicality. It was closer than it should have been really but I always thought we were quite comfortable.

Yeah...I agree.
Some good positives, a win and good character shown in difficult conditions.
Much easier to move forward off the back of a win.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2021, 03:24:28 PM »
Is there a video of the high shot on Fekitoa? I missed it live but picked up a bit of chat about it in the post match comments
Absolutely nothing in it for me. Straightforward clash of heads.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2021, 03:32:08 PM »
Given who is not available, I was very happy that we managed to cling on for the 4pts. The turnover and scrum penalty on our 5 m line in the last 5 minutes decided it. Tom Willis was immense. Just hope Eddie does not come calling. Eddie FFS, Sam Simmonds is your man!!!!!

Well played lads!

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2021, 03:33:07 PM »
If it had been any other weekend,probably wouldn’t even have been discussed.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2021, 03:40:54 PM »

Fekitoa was the secondary tackler and collided head on head with Ted Hill. Surprised it was even discussed as in incident
Just one of those things

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2021, 04:28:04 PM »
Well done, given the players missing, we played like a squad who will play like the best team would. Some silly decisions but mainly a good effort. Minozzi looked up for it and the wings looked better with Bassett, who also improved defensive alignment.

Well played Tom. Fab try and effort round the pitch. Note (to the good) that M le B is very talkative and we were keeping comms going after Jimmy went off.

Tempest seemed not have bothered looking at Law 15 recently and even the commentary team were suggesting the first Worcester penalty was the wrong way. And it wasn't the only time that we got pinged for the first Worcs defender in not binding on the ball but the man and not pinging their tackled player, lying on the ball and not releasing.

Whilst I like assistants getting involved, it did seem they were not well favoured towards us. The caterpillar was getting v silly and too many pissing about the breakdown.