Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Morning all!  (Read 1304 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Morning all!
« on: February 20, 2021, 06:15:44 AM »
Morning all Waspies from a dark and quiet Guildford...I am up with the lark -although at this hour I think the lark is still tucked away- and getting the old percolator going to infuse the house with that wonderful caffeinated beverage aroma kindly supplied from Columbia (at least this is one thing they export legally). This is the start of a week off for myself and the wife who herself is a medic/area manager in the ambulance service, and we are looking forward to removing our collective noses from the grindstone temporarily and enjoying the rugby, starting with our lads trip to Welford Road today.

Strangely I am not confident on this game, Borthwicks style and fingerprint is starting to become more apparent from our neighbours this term. I always felt that Cockerill was the fulcrum of Tigers success and built on that hard nosed forward edge the Richards cultivated so well. Over recent seasons their identity was lost, and even had the faithful in the Crumbie scratching their heads as they watched their team slide towards the trap door. However one of gods angels must wear a tigers shirt as it was only Saracens self inflicted demolition of their success and lack of honest transparency that saved them from their first ever relegation. This is not a concern for them this year, as although they are not flying ever upwards on a irresistible wave, they are getting their edge back, some creativity and grittiness that teams in our wonderful game require. They are no means the finished article as last week against Quins proved, but they are also by no means a threat to be ignored.

We on the other hand are still finding our feet since the enforced break. Last week against Warriors was a little to Jekyll and Hyde for my comfort. A wonderful, controlled first forty was followed by a poorly managed second. It was a step forward from the abolition that was the Harlequins game and the left our brains in the changing room fixture that was the Northampton tie, but much remains for Lee and his coaches to work upon. Injuries and call ups have had an impact, but this is a time for the wider squad to shine, to show that they deserve not only to be playing but to keep on doing so when others return. Do not get me wrong, I have faith in our squad, our academy and our coaches, and I feel we will be pushing around top 4/6 come seasons end, but something Intangible in my gripe water feels that Tigers will out today.

I may be predicting a Tigers home win, but I will be cheering our lads on to victory as well....counterintuitive some might say, but to us rugby and Wasp mad brethren I would have it no other way!

Come on you Wasps!

Chris

Once a Wasp ALWAYS a Wasp!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 06:19:48 AM by Wombles »

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Morning all!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 07:27:02 AM »
Morning Wombles. Been up for about an hour and a half, slowly waking up. Grey and miserable looking outside.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 07:32:53 AM »
Morning All.

I've been a Wasps fan long enough to know that it's best to approach Leicester away with hope rather than expectation. This really is a bogey fixture for us and Leicester have improved massively this season.

That said, we do have a strong team out. Vellacott has a lot to prove and Rowlands will add some power into the second row which will improve the some. Hopefully Leicester will upset CMK more than us.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 07:44:34 AM »
Morning all from what is a potentially pleasant looking day out there in Essex.

Like you Wombles can’t see us getting much out of today ,and past history backs that up.

Still ,I shall try to keep with the glass half full scenario, though I may have to keep the keg at the the side to keep it replenished!

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 07:55:12 AM »
 Morning all from a dry but dreary Banbury.

The Cider induced hangover is easing and the welcome first coffee of the day is cooling down next to me on the bedside table.

I'm not sure what to expect from Tigers as I haven't seen any of their games this season and a lot of players are new to me. Judging from their recent results they are as inconsistant as us so a very difficult game to call.

COYW

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 08:14:20 AM »
Good morning all. Very pleasant in Hastings. Can't  even attempt to call this one. I don't think I've seen Tigs all season. However, they seem to be on an upward swing. Let's put a stop to that. After the red cards last night, let's keep our discipline. Don't give CMK an excuse to whip his out and wave it at us😊
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 08:34:32 AM »
 Good morning everyone. The weather here is like a small child - damp, wet and windy. And rather cold  and miserable . Just very Novembery.  I hope the game today will cheer us all up but like the posters above I won't be convinced until the games is over and the result is a W in our direction.  Very very happy that Brad is Captain again, and  we  do have very good players (come on, Tom W)  and  hopefully Mr Vellacott  will be at his best; they all have the ability. However, never trust Tigers esp. at home. We are in with a shout, methinks so Allez x 3  and safe journeys to you all wherever you may be,  C O Y W .....       

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 09:10:44 AM »
Morning all,
Damp and miserable here - and that’s just the weather!
It’s going to be tight today. Tigers are showing early signs they have a squad that is going to be competitive.
Because it’s Tigers I think we will raise our game and with the likes of West, Rowlands, Umaga, Shields and Malakai we have quality players sprinkled around the team.
I’m hoping Brookes is going to stay on the pitch for most of the match. When he went off our scrum was in big trouble last week.
Time for Ben Velacott to step up and remind us of his quality. Crucial we don’t get any yellow cards.
I’m nervous 😬

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 09:51:51 AM »
Morning one and all from a very wet 'n' windy North Dorset. I'm due a long hike but it won't be today.

Like others I haven't seen much of Tigers recently so don't know what to expect other than its forecast to be very windy so probably lots of high balls.  If that's the case its good to see Josh back as he's probably our best chaser, but a shame Rob Miller isn't playing as he exudes confidence in those conditions, although Matteo is improving.

What we really need is no yellow/red cards and no serious injuries.

#COYW

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 10:18:00 AM »
Morning all from a damp and windy S Glos, My best mate is a Tiger and I'm hoping for a decent performance more than anything. I have interesting memories from going to Tigers for both work (conf facilities) and to watch that great Tigers side, rather blatt us aside.

I remember celebrating a Wasps try (possibly Varndell) as the only Wasps in a whole block of Tigers.....I bowed and thanked them all for their support!

Today, we need to keep the game moving and not get bogged down in a slog.....we have the pace, we need to use it or else it could be a long afternoon. 

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 10:49:20 AM »
Good morning all.

It's a sunny day here in S Bucks. Today's game could be a very close encounter. As others has said, WR has not been the best of grounds for Wasps, even in one of our good seasons.

Bookies have us at 4/6, Tigers at 5/4, having us as slight favourites to win. We have to get parity in the forwards. That possibly will give our backs the chance to score enough points to win it.

Could be a fingernail job today.

#COYW

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 12:00:57 PM »
Good morning people.
Late nights and kate rising for me this half-term.
Day and night not too dissimilar here, it is like living in Mordor, such is bleak weather.
I am predicting nothing, save for BT putting up the eye watering  'unavailable' graphic.
Enjoy the game.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 12:54:40 PM »
Morning all, best wishes to you and yours. A few jobs completed this morning and now looking forward to the game today, will help ease the lockdown fever a bit. Lots of opportunities for players to shine. Here's to a great game, may the best team win.

Come on You Wasps!

Take care,
Notso

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 03:04:39 PM »
  and  CONGRATULATIONS to our 3 Centurions ..................   Allez Allez Allez