Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 9513 times)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2021, 07:56:50 PM »
I don't like to comment on individual players, but I expected a lot more from Vellacott.

I actually think he was dreadfully slow. Not the player we signed at all.
Velacotts new nickname - the pointer!

To be fair, this the the same performance we've been trotting our most of the season, the difference being better opposition. We scraped past Worcs and Tigers are much better than Worcs...this performance shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2021, 12:22:58 PM »
I can't agree with that. Before the two week break we'd just beaten Exeter at home and Sale and Bath away. So we haven't played at yesterday's level all season. We were awful against a hyper pumped Quins, were better v Saints but beat ourselves through stupidity and we were excellent for one half v Wuss. Since the two week break I agree it's been "patchy". No panic yet though as we have real game changers to return.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2021, 06:08:52 PM »
I think your measuring wins, I'm measuring performances.
Bath and Sale were credible wins, with Sale also being off form, but that's their problem. Exeter was decent but like Bristol, far from a starting team. So results aside and against full strength sides...we shipped 50 against Quins where we weren't awful, we were totally outplayed. Shipped 40 against Glaws, their only win of the season. Say what you want about Saints, they offered nothing to win, yet still won. Scraped past Worc by 3 where we were at best sufficient in the 1st half IMO. Pasted by Tigers. Convincingly beaten by Falcons.
The wins are close, the losses aren't.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2021, 08:15:28 PM »
I think we've been here before!  :). You can't put our wins down to others being under strength but not allow that defence to be made for our defeats. I think since the Exeter game we've lacked some intensity and I've no idea why. Fatigue? Key players knowing they are leaving (more than we know of)? Players playing with knocks? It certainly needs addressing but I'm not downbeat yet.