Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Off Topic - Oculus quest 2 (vr in general).  (Read 875 times)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Off Topic - Oculus quest 2 (vr in general).
« on: March 04, 2021, 01:56:59 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has one? Been looking into it with varying degrees of interest since the start of 2020, then the Quest 2 came along at a very attractive price and I took the plunge. Absolutely a fantastic buy. Currently playing a silly free game and burning 500-1000 calories a day (according to the in headset calorie tracker) in it. Just wish I had enough room to move around with absolutely smashing my fingers/walls/table/mouse/light from time to time. Also told my 81 year old dad to get one, and enjoy going fishing with him every week or so, nice to "see" him having not actually seen him in over a year. Amazingly peaceful fishing on rivers/lakes etc in South Korea, with a friend or strangers and just chatting and enjoying the fish.

Wildkard

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Off Topic - Oculus quest 2 (vr in general).
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 07:39:48 PM »
I've got one! Bought it just before Christmas and the whole family absolutely love it.
My kids (14 and 21, strange names I know) have grown up in the CGI age so never had the cinematic experiences that I had like the big spaceship flying over at the start of Star Wars or the first scene with the big brachiosaurus in Jurassic Park. These were 'normal' scenes for them, not the jaw on floor moments they were for me.
The nearest thing for them has been the total immersion experiences that have come from the Oculus.
Watching sports has been great too, just a shame there's been no rugby (yet).
As a family, Acron and Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes have been great, and solo it's  been The Room and Eleven that have kept us fighting over the headset.
If you haven't already, setting up Sidequest is worthwhile.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 08:00:00 PM »
I've got one! Bought it just before Christmas and the whole family absolutely love it.
My kids (14 and 21, strange names I know) have grown up in the CGI age so never had the cinematic experiences that I had like the big spaceship flying over at the start of Star Wars or the first scene with the big brachiosaurus in Jurassic Park. These were 'normal' scenes for them, not the jaw on floor moments they were for me.
The nearest thing for them has been the total immersion experiences that have come from the Oculus.
Watching sports has been great too, just a shame there's been no rugby (yet).
As a family, Acron and Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes have been great, and solo it's  been The Room and Eleven that have kept us fighting over the headset.
If you haven't already, setting up Sidequest is worthwhile.

I've got sidequest setup. Gorilla tag is on sidequest, look it up. Basic graphics, fun gameplay. Some lobbies can be pretty bad though, too many kids trying to be grown up with swearing etc, but if you can find a good lobby it's a ton of fun. Neither of your kids are too young to not put up with some swearing, so not too much risk.

I've got Keep talking, but not had a chance to play with anyone yet. Was hoping to maybe try it during family occasions, when we can meet up again.

Even just the "first steps" thing you get at the start was fantastic, great way to introduce it. Don't know if you have a good PC, but if so, did you claim the free copy of Asgards Wrath? Fun RPG game.

Wildkard

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 09:34:57 PM »
Kids are already playing Gorilla Tag. Didn't know about Asgard Wrath but if it streams from a PC my old laptop probably isn't up to it anyway.