Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 6277 times)

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2021, 10:33:11 PM »
Turned off when Gopperth put the cross field kick into the Newcastle wingers arms. Looks like I'm going to have to watch it through later.

It wasn’t Gopperth’s kick but Le Booj’s continued ineptitude. He misread it and was meters off in the chase. Had it been Kibirige or Bassett chasing, the outcome would of been different...

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2021, 10:36:22 PM »
It is extraordinary how the physical dominance can be lost in the first half and won in the second. I think Dean must be wondering what happened.

[BTW he clearly needs a hip surgeon to have a look at him. He is such a hero - of all England/Lions players, coach etc-  I hope he gets the best]
And an eye test. I know his response was totally inevitable and he'll always be a legend but I lost a bit of respect for him in his ridiculous dodge of the indefensible.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2021, 10:47:20 PM »
It is extraordinary how the physical dominance can be lost in the first half and won in the second. I think Dean must be wondering what happened.

[BTW he clearly needs a hip surgeon to have a look at him. He is such a hero - of all England/Lions players, coach etc-  I hope he gets the best]
And an eye test. I know his response was totally inevitable and he'll always be a legend but I lost a bit of respect for him in his ridiculous dodge of the indefensible.

But neither did Blackett say too much on it either

MarleyWasp

« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2021, 10:47:40 PM »
I've watched the video back of the incident that got Julien Dupuy a 26 week ban in 2009 and a look at the picture that got David Attoub a 70 week ban, both for gouging in the same match. On intent alone I don't see Carrearas's action being on par with Dupuy. Probably closer to being on par with Attoub.

So naturally I expect Josh will be cited for headbutting his finger.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2021, 10:51:10 PM »
To be fair, Deano wouldn’t be poring over replays of the gouging incident before the game had finished. He was expected to comment on something he had only probably seen for the first time on a monitor. The winger will get his come uppance next week when he is cited.

Nail biting finish but I’m delighted we nicked it.

Joe’s sheer presence and Alfie’s energy were fantastic. They allowed the likes of Jimmy, Brad and Thomas and Will Rowlands to concentrate on their natural game.

Great result.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2021, 10:53:30 PM »
I think it's crucial that there is some accountability for the ref and especially the TMO. It was such a delayed and deliberate act that I can see why the ref missed it. But the TMO...... There is quite rightly huge scrutiny on head contact at the moment but a gouge is more deliberate and justcas damaging. I think it's almost so rare now that the officials didn't think it could happen - but it did!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2021, 10:56:31 PM »

Joe’s sheer presence
This. Nothing more, nothing less.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2021, 11:00:17 PM »
If a player alleges a gouge and has treatment on their eye, it should be automatically reviewed. Had it been I don't think there would have been any hesitation in a red card being shown.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2021, 11:11:45 PM »
I think it's crucial that there is some accountability for the ref and especially the TMO. It was such a delayed and deliberate act that I can see why the ref missed it. But the TMO...... There is quite rightly huge scrutiny on head contact at the moment but a gouge is more deliberate and justcas damaging. I think it's almost so rare now that the officials didn't think it could happen - but it did!

Goode on Twitter suggesting that we took the penalty before the TMO had time to review the footage.
And the laws state that foul play can't be penalised after the game has restarted

That may remove most of the blame from the TMO if true.
However, the ref should have called time off if a player is suggesting there had been any eye contact

MarleyWasp

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2021, 11:27:07 PM »

Goode on Twitter suggesting that we took the penalty before the TMO had time to review the footage.
And the laws state that foul play can't be penalised after the game has restarted

That may remove most of the blame from the TMO if true.
However, the ref should have called time off if a player is suggesting there had been any eye contact

I see Goode's point, but I've just watched it all back twice. 88 seconds elapsed between the gouge and Jimmy's kick. In that time the touch judge spoke to Josh about it, twice. You can also hear someone on the mic speaking about checking for a gouge and it sounds more like the ref than the touch judges or TMO. Josh and the medics then approach the referee to discuss it only to be ignored and the Ref tells Jimmy to get on with the kick.

There is no defence. The officials collectively knew there was a gouge and did nothing to check. The Referee, Touch Judge and TMO failed in their duty tonight.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2021, 11:41:50 PM »
Yes very strange considering that whenever someone picks up a head knock now they seem to go back and check to see if there was any foul play

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2021, 11:44:53 PM »
The referee looked a little inexperienced. I’d be critical if we lost but we didn’t.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2021, 02:10:24 AM »
Who asked on the mic for the check? If the ref did then he does not get the blame for that, he asked and Hughes should be replaced by someone who has noticed that the game has moved on, as evidenced by last week and this week when he was our TMO.  If the ref did not ask then he clearly should have.
I thought the ref was brave to award two yellows back to back, though he could have awarded a penalty try and has seen a grounding that looks like it was held up.
The ref was inexperienced, but certainly not in the Smales class of randomness. It probably helped him that neither side contested the breakdown as much as we see in some matches.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2021, 07:40:12 AM »
It's not clear as the commentary team start talking over it. I can't say I heard Graham Hughes at all. But if the Ref force Jimmy to take the kick before the review was complete it's gross incompetence on the Ref's part.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2021, 08:16:41 AM »
Surely it any review is taking place, the clock should be stopped?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!