Always a Wasp

Author Topic: New Signing - Dan Frost  (Read 7136 times)

MarleyWasp

Re: New Signing - Dan Frost
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2021, 12:38:39 PM »
Good strength, good step, good offload, good acceleration. Like the look of him!

https://twitter.com/WaspsRugby/status/1394246319514873868

So Cruse at Hooker, Oghre at 7, Barbeary and Frost in the Centres. Can Dan Eckersley play Full Back?

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2021, 12:58:45 PM »
and he can throw to back of line, and could double up as a threequarter  :) :) :) :) :)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 01:15:54 PM »
Looks a very Wasps hooker. I'm sure he'll fit in.

Nah!  At 1.10 on that highlights reel he finds his jumper at the back of the lineout.  Not what we expect of our hookers at Wasps! :)

Looks a very useful acquisition though.  Welcome Dan.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 01:41:21 PM »
One does begin to wonder whether all the money being saved is being reinvested or simply cut from the playing budget. Sign of the times.

Looks to me like a combination. Investing in training centre, trying to give squad depth and width, plus I imagine adding talismans when required and available. Looks like a multi-year rather season-by-season plan, trying to get foundations solid. Clearly not willing to keep players at any cost (very sad to see TT lured to Sale), but keen to make Wasps a place they'd like to be.

Don’t forget salary cap has been reduced. Clubs who wanted to keep certain players got them to sign new extended contracts before cut off time. A lot of big names will therefore be tied up for next couple of seasons , whilst others  are going abroad ( including Celtic countries) .

Also wasps have probably seen downside of recruiting star names who don’t perform as expected or get injured , and then move on , not allowing for a settled squad. Spending big money on a few also normally means a smaller squad and we have seen problems of not enough injury cover.

Quite happy for Wasps to continue in this vein if they can spot players who will seize opportunity.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2021, 01:54:33 PM »
I know it’s a show reel but that was impressive.  It doesn’t look like he’s been brought in to make up the numbers as injury cover. The others are going to be looking over their shoulders. 

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2021, 03:25:40 PM »
Blimey, just watched that highlights reel. Nippy, offloads well, tackles well, throws in straight (please take note Gaby). Looks like he has a brain and uses it.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2021, 04:07:08 PM »
Highlights reels also cherry pick - but that is Sarries he is making look amateur at times too

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2021, 04:20:45 PM »
Highlights reels also cherry pick - but that is Sarries he is making look amateur at times too

Something Wasps did twice last season, so he should fit right in!

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2021, 05:11:55 PM »
I really hope this works out. I’ll wait and see him play for myself a few times before I pass judgement. Highlight reels mean nothing unfortunately as I’m sure you could put one together for Lima from the last three years and he’d look like he’s been a success. I genuinely hope he kicks on next season because if he doesn’t we are one injury away from a hooking nightmare. I’m all for planning for the future but you can’t fill 50%of your squad with potential

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2021, 05:27:54 PM »
Wasps sign former Bath Rugby hooker Dan Frost from Cornish Pirates

From BB:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-rugby-transfer-news-bath-20612522
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2021, 05:51:40 PM »
I really hope this works out. I’ll wait and see him play for myself a few times before I pass judgement. Highlight reels mean nothing unfortunately as I’m sure you could put one together for Lima from the last three years and he’d look like he’s been a success. I genuinely hope he kicks on next season because if he doesn’t we are one injury away from a hooking nightmare. I’m all for planning for the future but you can’t fill 50%of your squad with potential

With the salary cap you do have to have a substantial amount of (cheap) potential, the key is keeping the other 50% fit to develop them and play around them, a number of clubs already using this model although often young players from their own academy (saints, tigers to name a couple, even Bristol and Exeter to some extent) as well as championship signings.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 06:18:12 PM by Chunky24 »

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2021, 05:53:52 PM »
Looks like he has a brain and uses it.

Well that's a rarity ;D

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2021, 06:27:23 PM »

With the salary cap you do have to have a substantial amount of (cheap) potential, the key is keeping the other 50% fit to develop them and play around them, a number of clubs already using this model although often young players from their own academy (saints, tigers to name a couple) as well as championship signings.

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said it’s just at hooker 80% of our options are potential. Tom will be number one and a proven performer, Alfie, Eckersley and Frost we just have no idea at this level, Gabby for me isn’t good enough. I would have been happier with two proven hookers even if one of them was nearing the end of their career and two youngsters with potential

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2021, 06:33:19 PM »

With the salary cap you do have to have a substantial amount of (cheap) potential, the key is keeping the other 50% fit to develop them and play around them, a number of clubs already using this model although often young players from their own academy (saints, tigers to name a couple) as well as championship signings.

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said it’s just at hooker 80% of our options are potential. Tom will be number one and a proven performer, Alfie, Eckersley and Frost we just have no idea at this level, Gabby for me isn’t good enough. I would have been happier with two proven hookers even if one of them was nearing the end of their career and two youngsters with potential

True but unfortunately experience costs especially when the likes of Japanese and French clubs are throwing money around for a last payday for players, I guess in the end all recruitment is a gamble as you mention!

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2021, 06:37:32 PM »
Love this quote from the BB article:
Lee Blackett has already recruited three players from second-tier clubs in the form of Elliot Millar-Mills from Ealing Trailfinders, Robin 'Bomber' Hislop from Doncaster Knights and Ali Crossdale from Saracens.