Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 10375 times)

PestNproud

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread
« Reply #135 on: June 05, 2021, 08:31:10 PM »
On way home. What a game. Just didn’t know what to say to Irish fans afterwards, nor them to us. Lots of us there but Irish fans did a great job adding a 16th (or 17th/18th!) man in their very nice new home. Very different to last trip to flat MadStad.

Was feeling v glum at half time, but nowhere near as vitriolic as this board. Just felt like luck was against us. Never quite gave up, though and mood in second half so different. Feared Jacob’s kicking, Watson rustiness and last 3mins could cost us but still believed with heart thumping, voice hoarse right until end. Felt so good, and even better to cheer the players after (when they and Lee were also great).

Respect to Irish and their fans, too. A little jealous not us now in Brentford!

So good to be back at matches and now to see Leicester put in their place next week…

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 05, 2021, 08:39:58 PM »
What a mess of a game - just cannot comprehend what is going on with us.

How can we completely be switched off and seemingly not committed again in a first half and then come back with such mental strength, togetherness and organisation.

Grateful for the win but something needs sorting behind the scenes

Irish were absolutely on fire in the first half. Intensity off the charts and everything was sticking. For us, things were not only not sticking, but even things that should be routine were going wrong.

2nd half they dropped off and we really stepped on the gas.

bournender2

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 06, 2021, 12:11:11 AM »
Just home from Brentford stadium, via a Kew pub and a Marlow pub and then Curry house.

Had been looking forward to this game from about December, but not knowing if it was allowing spectators until more recently? 8 of us got tickets and travelled.

After 5 minute and 2 tries down , felt like wrist slitting and we were being mulllered as well. But the point of being there is that you can attempt to make your own voice heard, to support the lads. Wasn't easy with the Irish Drums and chanting but at least we riled some of them into then drowning us out.

Post match was a  joy in Kew. I then eventually get home to find probably our most committed supporters who probably hadn't got to the game finding time to denigrate the performance during the game.

I didn't have the time or desire to write verbiage on this site during the game, and wouldn't denigrate the players during a game anyway, So the first 8 pages of this thread are really disappointing at this time of night, and I trust that people will get behind the players either at the game or on this site - certainly until the final result is in and their achievement, or not, is known??

(A lot of beer and wine and been swallowed today....)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 06, 2021, 12:20:14 AM »
Oh come on Bournender. I defy anyone to have come up with anything positive out of that very worrying first 40. Yes, it all worked out fine but there's no getting away from the fact that for half of that game we were awful. Half time comments pointing that out were justified, accurate and heartfelt. A miracle win from nowhere is absolutely fantastic but we'd be foolish to let the result mask some of the issues the first 40 raised.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 06, 2021, 12:27:27 AM »
Could be worse Bournender, you could have read the Facebook group posts

MarleyWasp

« Reply #140 on: June 06, 2021, 12:36:06 AM »
Oh come on Bournender. I defy anyone to have come up with anything positive out of that very worrying first 40.

Tom West.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 06, 2021, 01:10:37 AM »
Just downloaded and re-watched the game from the PRL site, nad can't really add anything to what's already been said.

However I hadn't really noticed it earlier, but Foley really let the LI scrum ignore the "use it or lose it" protocol. by regularly allowing him to add players to the train/crocodile after he called use it. On one occasion Foley told him to use it 3 times ande total time between him first saying it, and the ball being pickied up was 13 seconds.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 06, 2021, 07:37:12 AM »
Just hope that we get Barnes or Pearce i/c and Claire as TMO.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #143 on: June 07, 2021, 08:10:15 PM »
Nothing has been said about Hepetema being cited. Usually hearing dates are confirmed by 6pm on Monday.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 07, 2021, 09:10:13 PM »
Nothing has been said about Hepetema being cited. Usually hearing dates are confirmed by 6pm on Monday.

Most unlikely given that the ref and TMO agreed it was a yellow. Head hits will slowly transition from reds to yellows to just penalties. The citing officers are also probably under pressure not to 'criticise' ref decisions and focus instead on stuff that was completely missed.

Here, let me just lift that carpet for you.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #145 on: June 07, 2021, 09:18:15 PM »
The Citing Officer, Paul Burke, started his career at London Irish. I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but doesn't look good for the sport.