Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Teams Up for Exe  (Read 2537 times)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Teams Up for Exe
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2021, 03:56:31 PM »
Kicking the ball down the centre of the field this week will be a pointless exercise that will likely see Hogg dancing down our throats time after time. I do hope someone persuades Jacob et al that this week that would be a very bad idea.

Couldn't have put it better! Just thinking that over lunch looking at the teams.

What are the other options? Repeatedly run into a set defence within your own half? Kick it to the edges where it'll go straight to the player? Better off bouncing a few times down the middle, giving your defensive line a bit of time to get up and organised.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2021, 04:18:17 PM »
Kicking the ball down the centre of the field this week will be a pointless exercise that will likely see Hogg dancing down our throats time after time. I do hope someone persuades Jacob et al that this week that would be a very bad idea.

Couldn't have put it better! Just thinking that over lunch looking at the teams.

What are the other options? Repeatedly run into a set defence within your own half? Kick it to the edges where it'll go straight to the player? Better off bouncing a few times down the middle, giving your defensive line a bit of time to get up and organised.

Think kicking the ball intelligently, i.e. trying to catch Exeter's back 3 out of position, is what the original comment was implying. Instead of aimless kicking.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2021, 05:06:12 PM »

Think kicking the ball intelligently, i.e. trying to catch Exeter's back 3 out of position, is what the original comment was implying. Instead of aimless kicking.

Just so. A long ball down in to their 22, in Hogg's hands will see it back in our 22 faster than you can count your fingers. Last week we failed miserably in the chase and to present a defensive line marching forwards with no gaps, with the receiver running rings around the ill disciplined chasers all arriving far too fast and unable to react to a side step, and all arriving at separate times. The chasers should arrive as a pack of hounds, all together and with that finality that comes with a slow closing in over the last 5-10m. Not to 'hit' the receiver, but trap them and force them to hold on to the ball (resulting in a penalty). Come in too fast and you end up running past them, or falling over them, neither of which will earn you anything.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2021, 05:35:24 PM »
That’s a strong Exeter side

Indeed but the Tigers side for their game is different level strong!

https://twitter.com/LeicesterTigers/status/1448966885098225669?t=4deXVMoOMnxrJJ2mOUu4sg&s=19

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2021, 07:01:57 PM »
Bit worried about this one. Exeter are just finding form and look strong. We have two inexperienced hookers versus Cowan-Dickie and Yeandle. I can't see us dominating up front which will put us under real pressure. If you offered it to me now I'd take a point.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2021, 05:01:44 AM »
That’s a strong Exeter side

Indeed but the Tigers side for their game is different level strong!

https://twitter.com/LeicesterTigers/status/1448966885098225669?t=4deXVMoOMnxrJJ2mOUu4sg&s=19

Borthwick has assembled a huge pack there with a lot of experience but good to see a few youngsters getting opportunities. With their form from the back end of last season And their positive start they will be right up there at the end of the season.
Amazing how quickly the tides change with the form teams.

Back to Exeter, on paper they do look scary but we now have to get back to thinking we can beat anyone at home and should be winning every game at the RBS.