Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 6988 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2021, 04:59:19 PM »
The positives for me were Carr, Cardall, De Chavez and Porter. Young and Gopperth showed their class. Crossdale and Kibirige also had good games. Bit worried about Hougaard.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2021, 05:00:12 PM »
Slightly OT: But Briz must be missing Malins (in particular) and Earl going home to the Cheats.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2021, 05:13:26 PM »
Hugely disappointed with Minozzi.

He offered less than the loanees. Very sad.

I was hugely disappointed with Hougaard and Scholtz. But McHenry looked good. Simmonds did not impress. Mehson looked like he could be interesting. But Minozzi made so many rash decisions, so many.

+1

Porter was a massive step up from Hougaard when he came on.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 05:16:34 PM by Horusthewasp »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2021, 05:18:57 PM »
Yes, Hougaard was very ponderous and sloppy. Robson will back for Bath hopefully and Porter is now our 2nd choice I think.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2021, 05:21:45 PM »
Hugely disappointed with Minozzi.

He offered less than the loanees. Very sad.

I was hugely disappointed with Hougaard and Scholtz. But McHenry looked good. Simmonds did not impress. Mehson looked like he could be interesting. But Minozzi made so many rash decisions, so many.

I think this is the first time I’ve been critical of our players but….

After having a pre-season Scholtz should be embarrassed being subbed before half-time again.

Despite his international caps Minozzi doesn’t have the physicality to play at this level. His 38 year old colleague was on a different level to him.

Despite SA caps Porter proved himself to be our second choice number 9. Good shift.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2021, 05:22:17 PM »
Yes, Hougaard was very ponderous and sloppy. Robson will back for Bath hopefully and Porter is now our 2nd choice I think.

Where's Wolstenholme nowadays?

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2021, 05:43:52 PM »

Where's Wolstenholme nowadays?

Fit, just 4th choice, will surely see him in the cup games.

Re. Scholtz - I think some are reading too much into him coming off early, Lee has mentioned it a few times as Italy’s national side have too that it actually makes more sense to play a prop for the first half hour, rather than give them 20 mins at the end, as if the replacement prop gets injured the starting prop can return having recharged. It’s a clever twist on the laws.
Saying that, Scholtz does look like he needs a bit more in the tank but he shouldn’t be embarrassed by that. He is doing the job asked of him and unfortunately for him there wasn’t much scrummaging to do, which meant more running around.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 06:10:54 PM by JonnyD »

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2021, 05:54:38 PM »
If you watch Scholtz coming off and watch him for the 5 minutes or so before that, his tanks were empty. He may have done 1 scrum?

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2021, 06:02:47 PM »
Just back from the game, not in the best of moods.

We were a scratch team, almost, up against a team who I find hard to believe operate within the salary cap. Unless some of their Lions players earn tens of thousands as car park attendants and programme sellers.

It's bad enough when you play half of your games on that surface, but add in what looks like Enron accounting and it ceases to be a fair contest.

Yes, they played well (with a squad like that it's no surprise) and yes, we gave them a couple of tries but I won't go back there until things change.

I think I heard one of their players at a lineout shout "how many Lions have we got?" which, if I heard it correctly is, I think, hugely disrespectful to an injury-hit squad like ours.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2021, 09:58:41 AM »
Saw the one try shown on BBC news this morning. An aimless kick from inside our 22. Fielded on the halfway line by Sarries. Easily waltzed through one of our defenders, slips the ball to Malins for his 4th try. I was not impressed!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2021, 10:10:43 AM »
Saw the one try shown on BBC news this morning. An aimless kick from inside our 22. Fielded on the halfway line by Sarries. Easily waltzed through one of our defenders, slips the ball to Malins for his 4th try. I was not impressed!

It was not quite as simplistic as that. We in fact had knock on advantage and Carley had a brain fart and called "advantage over" the moment the kick was made. You are right it was a poor aimless kick which was never going to go into touch and we had absolutely no advantage. All the commentators said that it was a bad call by Carley and Wasps should have had a scrum.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2021, 11:19:07 AM »

It was not quite as simplistic as that. We in fact had knock on advantage and Carley had a brain fart and called "advantage over" the moment the kick was made. You are right it was a poor aimless kick which was never going to go into touch and we had absolutely no advantage. All the commentators said that it was a bad call by Carley and Wasps should have had a scrum.

Unfortunately see this in a number of games where as soon as ball is kicked  ,knock on advantage over is called as soon as ball goes forward of knock on place. Maybe teams need to just need to throw forward if they want the scrum.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2021, 11:22:49 AM »

It wasn't that he called advantage over as soon as the kick was made that was the problem, I've seen that done many times from a knock-on and I don't have a problem with it, it was that Carley was giving Sarries a long time  and making sure they had a real advantage before blowing.

Its the lack of consistency that is bringing the game in to disrepute.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2021, 12:03:20 PM »

It wasn't that he called advantage over as soon as the kick was made that was the problem, I've seen that done many times from a knock-on and I don't have a problem with it, it was that Carley was giving Sarries a long time  and making sure they had a real advantage before blowing.

Its the lack of consistency that is bringing the game in to disrepute.

Glad someone else noticed the time allowance difference- I thought it was just me being one eyed.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2021, 12:07:45 PM »
Carley was actually quite bad. The acceptance that it was a damage limitation exercise in the minds of most Wasps fans spared him their ire.