Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Possible Wasps XV for Prem Cup as Alfie Barbeary hits full speed  (Read 2892 times)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Wasps XV for Prem Cup as Alfie Barbeary hits full speed
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2021, 08:07:49 AM »
That is all interesting stuff. My original posting was really around how to make the best of such a force of nature and even as an old prop myself, I'd have felt we'd have got more from Alfie away from the front row. IF we have players who can do the darts and with the scrum probably being looked at yet again, he's not - for me - needed at hooker. But is needed on the pitch....

Certainly could be the real thing as a hybrid player. And as no team even gets it's preferred team all on the pitch at the same time, he's probably got a berth in the backrow most of the time. As for centre, I'd like to think we're broad enough thinkers to make the most of his talents.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2021, 09:01:52 AM »
I thought (I may have had a couple of sherbets) that I remember him playing as centre for Eng U20s but taking the lineouts. Am I getting old or can anyone else recll this?

Not sure on this Frank, you could be right but I only remember him getting sent off within minutes, then banned and then he missed the last U20s with injury

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2021, 10:03:50 AM »
I rather like that team. Seems to have a lot of youngsters but i'd happily test them out at this level.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2021, 10:29:47 AM »
You would hope the other teams would take the same attitude to team selection - but there is always one!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2021, 10:32:52 AM »
I thought (I may have had a couple of sherbets) that I remember him playing as centre for Eng U20s but taking the lineouts. Am I getting old or can anyone else recll this?

Don't think it was u20s, but he definitely did that at school level. I think for England he was only ever hooker.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2021, 11:54:01 AM »
That is all interesting stuff. My original posting was really around how to make the best of such a force of nature and even as an old prop myself, I'd have felt we'd have got more from Alfie away from the front row. IF we have players who can do the darts and with the scrum probably being looked at yet again, he's not - for me - needed at hooker. But is needed on the pitch....

Certainly could be the real thing as a hybrid player. And as no team even gets it's preferred team all on the pitch at the same time, he's probably got a berth in the backrow most of the time. As for centre, I'd like to think we're broad enough thinkers to make the most of his talents.

Do we know what the average number of scrums is per premiership game?
I don't want to include resets, just those times when a scrum is awarded.

At times, it feels like there might only be 3-4 scrums in the first half, and maybe a few more in the 2nd half of games.

If there really is a small number of scrums in the game these days, I'm not so sure you're wasting someones power running talents by having them in the front row.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2021, 12:12:50 PM »
Any team that doesn't include Hislop, JTA, Oghre, Fifita, Stooke, T Willis, Shields, Young, Umaga, MLB, Gopperth, Bassett and Kibirige is fine with me as all of those guys are in dire need of a well earned rest, and I couldn't give a monkeys about the Prem Cup.  It's a competition that consistently generates zero interest until the semi finals when supporters of those still involved get a bit excited at a sniff of silverware.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2021, 12:20:02 PM »

At times, it feels like there might only be 3-4 scrums in the first half, and maybe a few more in the 2nd half of games.

If there really is a small number of scrums in the game these days, I'm not so sure you're wasting someones power running talents by having them in the front row.

I’ve also thought numbers of scrums are down. Maybe refs are calling advantage over earlier for knock ons.

But also haven’t seen as many sides electing for scrum penalties over the last couple of seasons- seem to be more tap and goes.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2021, 12:53:41 PM »

There may not be many scrums but once you let the opposition dominate you’re in serious trouble. Referees start giving 50:50 calls against you and the opposition choose scrums at every opportunity, as we saw on Sunday.

Far better to have your best front row available, at least you get some ball to play with. 

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2021, 12:58:51 PM »
No more attacking 5 metre scrums after ball is held up over the line.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2021, 02:17:49 PM »

There may not be many scrums but once you let the opposition dominate you’re in serious trouble. Referees start giving 50:50 calls against you and the opposition choose scrums at every opportunity, as we saw on Sunday.

Far better to have your best front row available, at least you get some ball to play with.

My thought was that if identified as hooker then a player would work on their fitness/power differently from a backrow/hybrid player might. And the question for me then, is do we get better value from Alfie identified and trained as a front rower or trained with a focus towards being a backrow player?

If he's going to play front row - he needs to be 100%. I only played Uni level front row - but even that was quite a stretch, physically,  and I still suffer from those games. But we need our front row to be solid. Saturday was chastening for the guys when it started getting "difficult" and another ref could have made it a load worse for us!

hopwood

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2021, 03:18:16 PM »
Time for the coaching staff to rest and refresh too.

Just seen John Mitchell in the crowd at the cricket semi.
Wondering if he’s supporting England or New Zealand. Most probably the latter.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2021, 03:27:35 PM »
Time for the coaching staff to rest and refresh too.

Just seen John Mitchell in the crowd at the cricket semi.
Wondering if he’s supporting England or New Zealand. Most probably the latter.

He got to Abu Dhabi quickly.
Let me tell you something cucumber

MarleyWasp

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2021, 03:35:27 PM »
John's son is Daryl Mitchell, who is due to open the batting for NZ.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2021, 03:57:43 PM »
Coaching staff say Alfie will not play this week, a few weeks more yet.